Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm hoping someone can explain what it means having a 16 plate as opposed to a 64 plate. Is this more significant in the UK?

Thanks. 0:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi JC

In the UK you can tell when a car was registered by looking at the numbers we are talking about ie at the moment a car would be a 14 plate but as of 1st September it will be a 64 plate. The 6 means it was registered in the latter half of 2014 and will run until march 1st 2015 when it will change to a 15 plate then sept 1st 2015 it will become a 65 plate.

A made up example of a uk registration plate is GG14 XYZ which would change to GG64 XYZ in September. This difference will alter the trade in value of the car further down the line.

Hope that helps, probably clear as mud lol!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
you won't get a 16 plate until March 2016 .... hope you're not waitin until then for a MINI!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
im a fan of being issued with a plate, like your national insurance number, ie the plate stays with you for life - transfer from car to car as you own / sell the vehicle.

obvious bonus, police know who the owner is, if being pulled up or involved in an accident.. would also help reduce plate cloning.. as it would mean all other documents relating to the owner would also need to be cloned to make the whole set of documents work if pulled by plod.

might also make the plate a bit more personal to you... saying that a system like this probably wouldn't work, as everyone would want their name or something... and as we all know names aren't all that unique lol

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
im a fan of being issued with a plate, like your national insurance number, ie the plate stays with you for life - transfer from car to car as you own / sell the vehicle.

obvious bonus, police know who the owner is, if being pulled up or involved in an accident.. would also help reduce plate cloning.. as it would mean all other documents relating to the owner would also need to be cloned to make the whole set of documents work if pulled by plod.

might also make the plate a bit more personal to you... saying that a system like this probably wouldn't work, as everyone would want their name or something... and as we all know names aren't all that unique lol
I could be wrong, but I think that this system is used in Germany

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've had my personal plate since I was 21 (wasn't a jewellery kinda girl!) I wouldn't be without it now. Having gone back to 'council' plates, awating the MCS being directly registered with personal plate, I feel kinda naked without it!

My Dad has the identical plate to me, barr the middle initial (J1DKH as opposed to my J1DLH). It looks kinda cool.

Reactions: andyross37

·
Registered
340 Posts
UK registration plates changed in 2001.

They used to have a letter at the beginning depending on the year of the car, so they would read as (for example) A 106 TYY, A being 1984, B being 1985 and so on. Certain letters were never used at the beginning such as O & Z. When we got to Y (2001) they had to think of a new number plate design, as they couldn't start again at A. Previously, new registrations came out in (I believe) August, so every year people would order new cars for August delivery, then sales would slow down for the rest of the year.

So at the end of 2001 the Govt. changed the system to the current system, where they change twice a year in March & September, so at the end of 2001 we had the 51 plate, followed by 02, 52 etc.

The first letter is a code for where the car is first registered. So for example a car registered in London in 2014 will have a registration beginning with L, so as an example LX14 XXX a car registered in Essex will be EX14XXX, and a car registered in Scotland will be SX14 XXX

Reactions: cosmic68 and Fletto

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ahhh I see!
**** we are so spoilt here in Australia, each State (yes we have States) have their own Transport Dept who issues our plates. Standard issue plates have no identifying initials or year numbers. If you want personalised plates, you basically choose whatever colours and characters you like if it hasn't been taken already. There are sporting teams, slimline plates, Euro style plates, etc. (mine are now orange ;) )

·
Registered
177 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think that this system is used in Germany
They do have that number for life system in Switzerland, and you also get a 'special' disc on your plate if you are a foreigner, which is a bit Orwellian. A lot of foreigners vest a huge amount of effort into getting regular plates there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts