Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow MC enthusiasts

I'm wondering if anyone here has gone from 16" wheels with runflats to 18" wheels withOUT runflats?

I picked up a used MCS in January and it came with 16s and I'm not digging the ride with those runflats... AND I'm NOT digging the 16s at all (previous owner was an old lady and I think she must have opted to go with the 16s lol), I have a chance to buy a set of used JCW 18s locally and they have Pirelli PZERO tires, which I believe aren't runflats... so, the question is... will the ride be about the same? Worse? Better?

thanks in advance for any advice/input

Ken

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome along :)

It will certainly grip the road better although 18" will give a hard ride and look better.

Personally I think 17" are better with non run flats...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome along :)

It will certainly grip the road better although 18" will give a hard ride and look better.

Personally I think 17" are better with non run flats...

yeah, I think that's the route I'm going... I'm just tempted because of a local seller selling his 18" JCW's with tires and the price is pretty good... I thought they were 17s and was about to meet up with him when I asked "just to clarify, they are 17s, right?" When he responded with the answer, I backed out... but they look soooooo awesome :(

but yeah, thanks for the reply, I will pass on them

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am not a runflat fan and generally remove them early on. I had 17" wheels on my R56 JCW and I replaced the runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s and found the ride to be dramatically improved over the OEM Dunlop RFs. I ordered my current F56 JCW with the 18" cup wheels and replaced the Dunlop RFs with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s and they ride better than on this car than the 17" on the R series, however I do have the dynamic suspension option. I miss the handling of the R occasionally, but the power of the Boxter engine is far superior to the 1.6 of the R. But, back to the wheels, the 18s are gorgeous on the car and the ride is less mini-ish, but far superior to the ride in the R. I test drove some F series with the 17s and I prefer the 18s over them.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had 17" on my MCS, with a Sport Suspension, and wished from Day 1 that I had not given in to the fearmongering about crashy, harsh 18" wheels and ordered them instead.

On my JCW I corrected that and went with 18", plus the JCW Pro coilovers. No Adaptive Dampers. In my opinion, the ride is better than it was with the 17" and SS. And the handling is sublime.

For what it's worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts