Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently in the process of ordering a mini cooper s in the UK. I have read on different reviews that the 18" cone spoke alloy wheels give an uncomfortably firm ride, so I am also thinking about the 17" cosmos spoke alloy. Can anyone give me first hand impressions of trying both tyres? Or does anyone have any advice that could help me decide? I am also going to choose variable damper control.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I test drove an F56 Cooper S with 18 inch alloys and on our windy and poor surfaced b road they were too firm for me - I was really looking forward to test driving it and to be honest it almost put me off.

I then test drove a cooper sd on 17 inch alloys (with adaptive dampers) and, like goldilocks found it to be just right. Still definitely firm, but comfortable.

So that's exactly what I went for. When I put it in sport mode there's a noticeable firming up and it handles great and I can put it into normal mode for city driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 18's on run flats which after ordering I was panicking after reading on this forum about hard ride etc but now having got my car, I'm wondering what all the fuss was about?? The ride isn't at all bad.. For me coming from a merc, I suppose the ride is a little stiffer but certainly not as bad where it would deter me from buying the car! To the people who who are 'offended' by the mini on 18's, these folk should have probably looked into buying an S class mercedes with full air suspension;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 18's on run flats which after ordering I was panicking after reading on this forum about hard ride etc but now having got my car, I'm wondering what all the fuss was about?? The ride isn't at all bad.. For me coming from a merc, I suppose the ride is a little stiffer but certainly not as bad where it would deter me from buying the car! To the people who who are 'offended' by the mini on 18's, these folk should have probably looked into buying an S class mercedes with full air suspension;)
I don't think anyone was offended, I think they just didn't find the ride comfortable. Oddly not everyone likes the same thing. That's the joy of the Mini, you can configure it to be just how you like it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The ride on the previous R56 model with 17" wheels was terrible. I did around 60,000 miles in 2 years and the suspension bottomed out and crashed and I had to have my both wheels straightened. Im quite happy with my 16" wheels on my F56. I test drove a F56 with 17" wheels which rode ok but 17" and 18" wheels have hardly any tyre to protect them and are too prone to damage on kerbs and pot holes for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 18s on runflats with sports suspension - I think it's fine - even with the terrible roads we have in NYC. The roads back in the UK are soooo much better than here - even the B roads are in better condition than the freeways here!

·
Registered
355 Posts
What car you coming from ?

18 on f56 are better than 17 on r53

But that's a bit like say Cheryl Coles is fitter than Susan Boyle

Sorry not much I can add to this:D

Reactions: opal

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Personally, I'd focus on the aspect ratio of the tires you plan to run with either wheel size. The lower the aspect ratio, the less "protection" you will have between the pavement (or pothole) and the alloy wheel.

It kinda makes sense that the larger diameter wheel will ride rougher, but not necessarily....you have to look at the whole package.

Reactions: opal and MOCIAP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I'm actually coming from no car at the min as I haven't had one since i moved to london (about 2 years!) I think i'm going to go with the 17" as I think they look great plus has the benefits of slightly better protection and ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts