Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
remap from superchips finally available for cooper, stage 2 194hp - no I won't be taking the plunge as ironically I have just sold my mini:( but looks like a lot of fun and being lighter than cooper s must be similar performance?

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
It;s a 1.5 litre Vetsvette, but your maths is right. Don't see why it shouldnt since the same engine is in the i8 producing 220bhp but i'd be worried about how long the gearbox etc would stand that sort of welly! Sounds exciting ! wonder how they've done it!

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
It;s a 1.5 litre Vetsvette, but your maths is right. Don't see why it shouldnt since the same engine is in the i8 producing 220bhp but i'd be worried about how long the gearbox etc would stand that sort of welly! Sounds exciting ! wonder how they've done it!
I stand corrected. Thanks. I would like to see the dyno sheet on that if it's only done with a chip.

·
Registered
375 Posts
True, the whole drivetrain is transferring the increased amount of power to the wheels and I'm not sure if it's up for the job on longer term.

Regarding the i8, yes it's basically the same engine but a stronger metal is used for the casted engine parts and housing so it can handle the extreme pressure. Pushing the MINI 1.5 to the max could well be ending in cracks in your engine. My previous neighbour was in the chip tuning business and told me loads of horror stories of people tuning their VW 2.0 diesel engine thinking the same engine is used for the various factory power output and yes technically they are the same but the used metal is not....which also explains the difference in price.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My wife's total stock Audi TT engine had to be replaced at 80k, drinking loads of oil

My r53 ran 100 bhp over factory numbers until sold at 140k still going strong, with stock internals, clutch, gearbox etc, it didn't have a drink problem

If I had a cooper an extra 60 bhp would not scare me, might add a few sympathetic mods for insurance, + a scan guage to keep an eye on things

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
Heee! I'm totally happy with mine and won't be chipping mine either but i like the fact that it can be done! I too just love the character of this little engine-it's a mini (!) marvel!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.