Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Mini brand. Was looking for a new vehicle but there is no inventory in Canada and came across this employee lease return with 6000 kms. I scooped it. I kinda rushed into buying this and also rushed into getting new wheels and tires. Was getting 18’s a good call? I was originally going for 17” BBS SR but they were not available locally and didn’t want to wait several weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 A94 F56 JCW AUTO
154 Posts
Welcome! That is one stunning Mini! I think 18" flows better than the 17" if you are not planning to lower the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you were in the right place at the right time. New wheels look great, love the colour.
18's are fine, did you stick with the Runflat?
The car came with 17” rims with Pirelli run flat as per attached. I had to buy new tires with the 18” rims. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 +.
I put the Pirelli stock run flat tires for sale on a popular Canadian buy/sell site for $400 but doubt anyone will ever buy them.
Will have to buy winter tires and will put them on the OEM rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
107 Posts
Looks great! Nice to see more Canadians on here. The 18’s are much nicer than the 17 and no trade off on comfort with the a/s3. I have the same tires and am happy. FWIW I sold my runflats for the same, you’d be surprised you need them for lease return so they do sell. Try marketplace, Kijiji was useless.

Great color combo, great car for the city, easy on gas. I don’t know what options you got but it’s a fun ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great! Nice to see more Canadians on here. The 18’s are much nicer than the 17 and no trade off on comfort with the a/s3. I have the same tires and am happy. FWIW I sold my runflats for the same, you’d be surprised you need them for lease return so they do sell. Try marketplace, Kijiji was useless.

Great color combo, great car for the city, easy on gas. I don’t know what options you got but it’s a fun ride.

Hey man, I surprisingly sold the tires for $490 on Kijiji an hour ago!
Car is manual transmission which makes this ride more fun to drive. Has the upgraded sound system and the piano black trim which were the options most important to me.
I would say the car drives smoother with the Michelin on 18” compared to the Pirelli runflats on 17”. Appearance wise, the extra inch makes such a big difference.

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
107 Posts
Funny how that works! Well congrats on moving the tires… makes the impulse buy less painful. 18 is the right size. I have 19’s on my clubman (18’s for winter) and 18’s on my countryman. Ditching the runflats makes all the difference in comfort. I agree on the sound, the H/K system is totally fine for me. We got the base system in the countryman so i swapped it out for a Bavsound stage 1 which is very mediocre. My wife is way more conservative with what she will let me change.

Drive it well! If you want a road trip, mini takes the states is in Burlington VT in a week. Should be fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,676 Posts
Good grief, that's an expensive job; I've always put up with them and tried to wear them out as quickly as possilble!!1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up leaving my run flats at the dealer for them to throw away. They had about 2400 miles on them. I looked on eBay and it seems like people give them away dirt cheap
i guess I was lucky to have sold them for a decent price. Was wondering about the TPMS sensors? I bought them for the new wheels as the yellow light constantly on would be annoying for me. They were installed but the light is still on. The guy at the tire shop said it may take a couple days for the light to turn off. Is this true?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good grief, that's an expensive job; I've always put up with them and tried to wear them out as quickly as possilble!!1
I'll be lucky if I drive my MINI 2500 miles a year. I had one of my run flats pick up a screw, so buy one new run flat, or change them all out for better tires? The choice was mine to make, and life is too short to deal with rubbish tires.

Ditching the run flats changed the car big time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i guess I was lucky to have sold them for a decent price. Was wondering about the TPMS sensors? I bought them for the new wheels as the yellow light constantly on would be annoying for me. They were installed but the light is still on. The guy at the tire shop said it may take a couple days for the light to turn off. Is this true?
If the new sensors have been registered to the car correctly then all you may need to do is pop into idrive settings and reset the tire pressure sensors and drive a couple miles for the car to re register the pressures on the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome! That is one stunning Mini! I think 18" flows better than the 17" if you are not planning to lower the car.
Hey man - question for you…..
I like the 18” wheels but still find the gap between the tire and fender slightly big. I find the car looks slightly SUV’ish
You mentioned that the 18” are good if I am not planning to lower the car. If I do lower it will things look off?
Whether I have 17” or 18” wheels the gap is the same due to different tire ratio I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 A94 F56 JCW AUTO
154 Posts
I like the 18” wheels but still find the gap between the tire and fender slightly big. I find the car looks slightly SUV’ish
You mentioned that the 18” are good if I am not planning to lower the car. If I do lower it will things look off?
Whether I have 17” or 18” wheels the gap is the same due to different tire ratio I think.
Lowering the car definitely has distinctive looks as gap gets smaller. Reason I brought this up is that with your wheel & tire specs, tires might collide with shocks once lowered and might need to run spacers.

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
107 Posts
your gap is the sameif you are running the oem diameter. If your wheels are 8” wide and you’re using 205/40 tires the diameter will be smaller because the tire is stretching more. You can explore spacers which will push your wheels out more flush to the fender and the wheels will be less sunken in so it will help.
Option 2, put on JCW springs which will be a mild drop (10mm) but is expensive for install and balancing for something so small. Option 3, coilovers (more maintenance in winter) or springs which is normally around 1”, permanent drop. I have springs and it’s fine for montreal winter but I do get some ice buildup in the wheel well which needs some cleaning mid season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts