Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi F56

In October 2014 I ordered a new Cooper S 5 Door and found out today that when it went in for a routine service Mini Found a major issue with the engine and clutch which requires a complete engine replacement. I am curious to know if anyone has had the Crankshaft bearing issue that is affecting my car and what options you were given as i am not happy to accept a new engine.

Has anyone had any other option i.e. new car or cash value for trade in etc.

Also does anyone have an legal understanding in the UK as to where I stand for this.

Any help/advice/experience shared is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Jhigh welcome to the forum sorry to hear you have problems with the car search the forum we had some members here on the forum they went thru the same issues with the cams and got it fixed and/or motor replaced and it turned out well. Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Welcome along. This is a well known issue, there are topics on here and other forums about it. Some have had only the crank bearings replaced and some the entire engine. Here is a Link to the other posts.

Mine was inspected for the issue last month and it was fine.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Look on the bright side,youve had two years motoring and now get a brand new engine! Everything that wears is reset to zero. A!ternative is to try to reject the car but you may struggle,depdnds on your dealer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is part of a large warranty issue...unfortunately there are only four options. 1. If the engine is deemed to be damaged due to defective crankshaft bearings, an engine replacement is necessary. 2. If the vehicle VIN number is part of the warranty issue and is caught before internal damage is done, the crankshaft bearings can be changed for the more robust replacements and no engine replacement is necessary. 3. Fight with the dealership to try and swap for another vehicle. 4. Do nothing and wind up with a very expensive lawn ornament...

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why exactly are you unhappy to accept a new engine?
I agree with jeremy, you've had 2 years use out of an engine and now you're getting a new one! It sounds like you weren't even having any problems with your old one!?
We live in an imperfect world, accept it.....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you really want to go to town, just drop the trust "Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act" in to a conversation and you'll more than likely get what you want - that's if you want a replacement vehicle or a cash buy out and refund of deposit.

I won't go in to detail regarding the CCA but if you do some internet searching and research you'll find out how to tackle MINI FS regarding your vehicle. If you love your car and have had no other issues with it, I'd accept the new engine and request compensation under the CCA with MINI FS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi F56

In October 2014 I ordered a new Cooper S 5 Door and found out today that when it went in for a routine service Mini Found a major issue with the engine and clutch which requires a complete engine replacement. I am curious to know if anyone has had the Crankshaft bearing issue that is affecting my car and what options you were given as i am not happy to accept a new engine.

Has anyone had any other option i.e. new car or cash value for trade in etc.

Also does anyone have an legal understanding in the UK as to where I stand for this.

Any help/advice/experience shared is greatly appreciated.
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper and yes I have the same problem going on with mine it hasn't gone out yet but it's making this loud noise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.