Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up this evening to park on a steepish slope. The engine appeared to stall, and I was unable to restart her just a strange whirring sound from the starter. All my lights including interior lights went off as well. I got out of the vehicle to open the glove compartment and all of a sudden the interior lights came on again. I attempted to restart the engine which it did so straight way, I have no idea what happened, has anybody else come across this issue?

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
No that's odd. Maybe the stalling confused the computer and getting out and back reset it. If a pc crashes switch it off and on again usually works!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe. I'm taking her in tomorrow to get it checked as it spooked me a little. Apart from that I love the car

cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Good idea they can plug it in and check for any error codes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, I have had the very same problem... It was in a Dodge, not a Mini. It only happened once and then never again. I am blaming gremlins. Little blighters, alway causing trouble on zeppelins and steamships and such.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
I quite liked it!let us know what they say.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from garage. The fault was caused by the magnatronic engine sensor, they have done all the diagnostic stuff and reset it so hopefully all should be ok now. However while the car was in it flagged up that there were two recalls on the vehicle, one on the drivers seat which they did there and then and another for a wrong bolt on the back suspension so going back next week to get that sorted.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Oh heck. Hope they've sorted it.what is a magnetron engine sensor. Never heard of one of those? Sounds like something out of iron man.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
890 Posts
It is a bit like a Starship impulse drive ignition position sensor, very clever in that it has a secret override control in the handle of the glove compartment.

If your engine stops due to a magnetron fault, opening the glove box will fix it. Clever stuff!
It should be in the manual.

Seriously though, let's hope that is the end of the problems, sounds like all will be well now.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Magnetronic Sensor

Oh heck. Hope they've sorted it.what is a magnetron engine sensor. Never heard of one of those? Sounds like something out of iron man.
A quick google search produced some rather obscure results. It appears that a Magnetronic sensor is a modern-day version of the old distributor. It uses Hall Effect sensors instead of the mechanical (failure prone) contacts & breaker points of the old systems. I suspect that it might be used to inform the ECU of the position of the crankshaft.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Aha, so that's what it does. !! Yes keep posting Debs ,this forum is keeping me sane. Hmmmm!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently rejected a day old MCS Mini for something similar!
After parking it the car refused to restart starter turned over no engine ignition firing.
Two hours later it restarted after the ECU discharged I guess. The car was immediately left at the garage too weeks later BMW HQ Germany had not supplied the fix for the fault so I was left with little choice but to say I didn't want it.
I have since ordered a new MCS I hope this one turns out better.
But I can't fault my dealer or BMW UK customer service they have pulled out all the stops for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts