Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this, that I've owned many automobiles, most of the Volkswagen variety.
Just sold my 2012 mk6 Gti. I decided that I wanted a mini Cooper. Went to the dealership to test drive half a dozen 2011-2012 MCS, walked out with a brand new 14 mini Cooper hardtop non s with all the goodies, I figured the turbo 3 would suffice. Herein lies my issue within the first 100 miles.

The car has died 4 times already when putting the car into reverse, now it could be that I'm not used to the clutch but that's highly unlikely... Literally I shift into reverse, start to depress the clutch and died. Car was just turned on in the morning so maybe it needed to warmup? I don't know

Second, the clutch is the stiffest clutch I have ever driven... It'd unreal how stiff it is, like stiffer than all the Cooper s I test drove. Will the clutch break-in, I really hope so because I'm really regretting my purchase thus far.

Admitted I've never driven anything this non powerful before, nor a 3 cylinder of any kind, but my god you have to stay in low gear. Is it normal for this thing to be at like 1800 rpm at 60?

And the engine sounds like a diesel, so much clicking and popping... I just don't know.

I will readily admit, I fell in the love with the look and only took a short 10 minute test drive. That is my fault and I'll deal, but if anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not bashing the car in anyway because it has so much great stuff, and is really a well built machine. I'm just thinking I let the excitement get to me...

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like there is a problem with your car. The clutch should not be that stiff and the engine should not stall the moment you release the clutch. I would recommend booking it in for your service department to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read the stalling is a known issue... Great.
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow morning, something just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Tony... sorry to be a pedant, but you wrote 'Literally I shift into reverse, start to depress the clutch and died'.

If you shift into reverse before depressing the clutch - you will stall every manual car (and ruin a few gearboxes too)!

I'm sure you meant to say that you depress the clutch, select reverse and then find that the engine stalls as you begin to engage the clutch... by releasing the pedal.

Just to say that the normal action of the clutch pedal of a MINI is smooth & nicely-weighted, so yours appears to be badly adjusted - or the clutch itself has a fault. This would, perhaps, explain the stalling issue, and I'd say that an urgent visit to your dealer is required to prevent any damage to the clutch/gearbox.

You also asked about the gearing... and, for economy reasons, most modern cars have long gearing. My Cooper D does 70mph at about 2,000 revs!

However, you can still have great fun through the twisty-bits in Mid/Sport modes by using the full rev range and using the lower gears.

Good luck with getting your car sorted quickly... and then you'll start to really enjoy the MINI driving experience.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The clutch in my F56 is easily the lightest that I have had in the 5 MINIs I have owned. People on other MINI forums have complained that the clutch is too light.

I suggest there may be a problem with yours and that you get it checked.

Funny that it also only stalls in reverse gear too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
interesting this thread - I've a F56 and my clutch is really heavy - I too have had the stalling while in reverse - while trying to reverse into my garage one evening it stalled 4 or 5 times for no reason - honest guv it wasn't me - it just died and only when I revved it hard did it keep going.
will keep a watchful eyes on things
MD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Injector Fiasco

My 2014 hardtop has been in the shop for over 2 1/2 weeks for the very problem you are talking about, that of the engine dying as you are backing out. The engine light also came on. I took it in and it was decided it was the fuel injectors. THey had none on site, they also didn't have the tools required for these fuel injectors. When the last fuel injector arrived last Friday, and they opened them, they realized they hadn't been sent the tool needed to compress the Teflon ring so they could actually insert them into their appropriate slots. I'm exhausted from dealing with it but the service manager, I must admit, has been great. I'm hoping to have my mini back tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted. They want me to be happy so I'm going to ask for some extras so I will be. I can't help but think that if I were a man, I would be already driving a different hardtop without satisfying the the Lemon law. Hard to prove, I know. Take it in for serivce and when you do, ask them if they have any fuel injectors and the tools needed. If not, and that's what your car needs, tell them to have everything overnighted. That would be the right thing to do and much better customer service. Just had my mini for 5 weeks before this happened.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2014 hardtop has been in the shop for over 2 1/2 weeks for the very problem you are talking about, that of the engine dying as you are backing out. The engine light also came on. I took it in and it was decided it was the fuel injectors. THey had none on site, they also didn't have the tools required for these fuel injectors. When the last fuel injector arrived last Friday, and they opened them, they realized they hadn't been sent the tool needed to compress the Teflon ring so they could actually insert them into their appropriate slots. I'm exhausted from dealing with it but the service manager, I must admit, has been great. I'm hoping to have my mini back tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted. They want me to be happy so I'm going to ask for some extras so I will be. I can't help but think that if I were a man, I would be already driving a different hardtop without satisfying the the Lemon law. Hard to prove, I know. Take it in for serivce and when you do, ask them if they have any fuel injectors and the tools needed. If not, and that's what your car needs, tell them to have everything overnighted. That would be the right thing to do and much better customer service. Just had my mini for 5 weeks before this happened.
I feel for you bet it's been a hard two weeks hope all goes ok and when you get it back you can enjoy.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree with what has been said.
A tendency to stall indicates an engine control/ECU problem possibly due to a sensor malfunction or the ECU itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well looks like to the dealership I go... Not happy.

Anyhow, thank you everyone for all of your thoughtful and informative responses. I'm in the US and any other forum I've ever been a part of, had I written and posted this I would have received a lot of criticism...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yikes. Less than 500 miles on my car and engine light came on and off. Felt a little light in acceleration. Anyway dealer checked and appears to be a problem with the injector they think. Never had a new car in the shop in the first two years of ownership. Little worried

1 - 11 of 11 Posts