Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this, that I've owned many automobiles, most of the Volkswagen variety.
Just sold my 2012 mk6 Gti. I decided that I wanted a mini Cooper. Went to the dealership to test drive half a dozen 2011-2012 MCS, walked out with a brand new 14 mini Cooper hardtop non s with all the goodies, I figured the turbo 3 would suffice. Herein lies my issue within the first 100 miles.

The car has died 4 times already when putting the car into reverse, now it could be that I'm not used to the clutch but that's highly unlikely... Literally I shift into reverse, start to depress the clutch and died. Car was just turned on in the morning so maybe it needed to warmup? I don't know

Second, the clutch is the stiffest clutch I have ever driven... It'd unreal how stiff it is, like stiffer than all the Cooper s I test drove. Will the clutch break-in, I really hope so because I'm really regretting my purchase thus far.

Admitted I've never driven anything this non powerful before, nor a 3 cylinder of any kind, but my god you have to stay in low gear. Is it normal for this thing to be at like 1800 rpm at 60?

And the engine sounds like a diesel, so much clicking and popping... I just don't know.

I will readily admit, I fell in the love with the look and only took a short 10 minute test drive. That is my fault and I'll deal, but if anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not bashing the car in anyway because it has so much great stuff, and is really a well built machine. I'm just thinking I let the excitement get to me...

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well looks like to the dealership I go... Not happy.

Anyhow, thank you everyone for all of your thoughtful and informative responses. I'm in the US and any other forum I've ever been a part of, had I written and posted this I would have received a lot of criticism...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.