Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 MINI COOPER HARDTOPS RECALLED FOR LACK OF CRASH PROTECTION

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/mini-cooper-hardtops-recalled-crash-protection.shtml

January 4, 2015 — BMW should consider opening towing companies across the U.S. just for MINI Cooper Hardtop cars, and fast. BMW has announced almost 3,700 model year 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door cars might have serious problems protecting rear seat passengers in a crash.

All BMW is saying is the recalled 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door models do not meet side impact performance requirements for rear seat passengers. Not only could an occupant not have the needed protection in a side crash, the defect also violates federal safety standards.

The 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door cars were manufactured December 1, 2013, to May 14, 2014.

BMW says the recall will begin February 18, 2015, but the automaker still hasn't figured out how to fix the problem.

Owners of the 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door can contact the automaker at 800-831-1117.

On December 27, 2014, BMW recalled 1,928 model year 2014-2015 MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S Hardtop 2-door cars because of transmission problems.

Prior to that recall, BMW recalled about 850 model year 2015 MINI Cooper Hardtops 2-doors to fix problems with the seats.

Then in November 2014, the 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door was recalled because the spare tire could separate from the car.

If that's not enough, in October 2014, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said BMW would be forced to lower its miles per gallon values on the 2014 MINI Cooper.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i assume this is poor use of the name & it actually applies to all F56 models, not just the Cooper?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for posting this; a good site to keep an eye on.
Confused by the small quantity of cars recalled though; wondering what percentage of MINIs sold that translates to (i.e. 1,928 out of ?? and compared with GM recalling 30.4 million 2014 vehicles!!) I know MINI is a smaller company but still....

·
Registered
508 Posts
In case anyone is concerned, the recall is because the side impact result for rear seat passengers is 0.17g over the 82g limit, so it's not like they forgot to put in side impact protection or something.

I wouldn't have thought 82g lateral acceleration was survivable, so I'm not sure exceeding it my two-thousanths matters....

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is only Cooper models sold in US.

SUBJECT
Recall Campaign: Side Impact Performance
MODEL
F56 (Cooper 2-door Hardtop)
Produced from December 2013 to May 2014
SITUATION
BMW is conducting a voluntary safety R
ecall involving the side impact pe
rformance on certain Model Year 2014
MINI Cooper (NOT Cooper S) 2-door Hardtop vehicles.
Approximately 3,680 vehicles
, produced from December
2013 through May 2014, are involved.
Due to build variation, some of these vehicles may marg
inally exceed a NHTSA test requirement. The corrective
procedure is still
being determined.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners....model=COOPER&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1974622

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just received my recall today for my 2015 Built in July 2014..
It sounds like the quantity affected earlier of 3,700 units. was a low ball figure since what seems that they have
now expanded the date range of affected vehicles beyond May 2014 !
I looks like BMW/MINI has expanded the recall date and
now has gone beyond May 2014 production for cars also exported to CANADA not just the USA as reported earlier above.
According to the letter, the safety retrofit requires 2 hours to rectify and comply with the new safety standards.

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Take the panel off and pop a bit of foam padding in perhaps! interesting! Let us know if you can find out what they do!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take the panel off and pop a bit of foam padding in perhaps! interesting! Let us know if you can find out what they do!
sure, no worries...
but my service department will NOT take my car in until Year 1 to
do an oil change.....I will do the safety recall and sticker recall in Mid Oct.
I will report back then or some other member might beat me to it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I had my Recall done 2 Weeks ago talking about a smooth Recall.:) I dropped my Mini off at Mini at Tempe at 8 Am my Service Guru Josh explained too me that they will remove the rear quarter plastic covers install some more foam /impact foam put the panels back on and the problem is resolved.

I checked the work when I picked up the car. My Mini was washed no scratches on the Panel ( it looked like they never removed the Panels)and even cleaned the Basset Hound Drull off that I forgot to clean the day before. I could not be happier with the Recall. Also the Mini is not as noisy as before:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just received my recall today for my 2015 Built in July 2014..
It sounds like the quantity affected earlier of 3,700 units. was a low ball figure since what seems that they have
now expanded the date range of affected vehicles beyond May 2014 !
I looks like BMW/MINI has expanded the recall date and
now has gone beyond May 2014 production for cars also exported to CANADA not just the USA as reported earlier above.
According to the letter, the safety retrofit requires 2 hours to rectify and comply with the new safety standards.
I have returned! And, yes, I got my recall notice a week or two ago. Mine was a March 2015 build, so I'd say they have vastly expanded the number of cars involved. Not that I'm particularly worried about it. If I don't come up with a good excuse to go to Nashville or Atlanta before then, I'll just have them do it when I'm in for my super special free service thingy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts