Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my new 2015 Cooper S auto transmission. It has the engine automatic start/stop function, which means when you stop the car in front of a traffic light, as long as the transmission is in "D" and your foot is on the brake pedal, the engine will stop automatically to save fuel. And then if you release the brake pedal, the engine will start automatically.

Problem:

The problem I found with this function is that after the engine stops and while my foot is still on the brake pedal (without loosing any pressure on the pedal), the engine will automatically re-start after 15-25 seconds. I called the dealer and they said it won't re-start unless my foot release from the pedal. I drove my car to the dealer and have another loaner car, which is the save model. This one will auto re-start without releasing the brake pedal after exactly 50 seconds (I tested 3 times using my stop watch on the iPhone).

How does this function performs in your Mini? Please let me know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can only speak on behalf of the manual but if mines stops in town a few times over mins, it's prob draining the battery, so it either won't stop or will re-start before moving away as it needs the energy to maintain the electrics if say heaters is on or heated seats for example.

I'm not a fan and switch it off most of the time.

Also may not be dependent but I was always taught not to to sit there with the brakes on, possibly only relevant if the brakes are red hot but if you apply them on In one place while at temperature you have the potential to warp discs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the battery is draining but only 15 - 25 seconds wouldn't make much sense to me. The other Mini that I drive last 50 seconds makes more sense.

About the brake, if you don't step on the brake when waiting for the traffic light, what would you do? Put in "N" and hand brake?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think there's a quite a bit of stuff going on here, electronic-wise. I've been in a position where I've just started the car in the morning, got to a junction and it's automatically stopped, but if the traffic means I'm there for some time (tens of seconds) the engine will eventually start up again despite being stationary.

If however, I'm in creeping traffic, the system knows not to continuously start and stop if you're only going a yard or so.

I am lead to believe that these are issues that are meant to happen. The first to ensure you don't wear down the battery and the latter because it would drive you insane if you were hardly moving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there's a quite a bit of stuff going on here, electronic-wise. I've been in a position where I've just started the car in the morning, got to a junction and it's automatically stopped, but if the traffic means I'm there for some time (tens of seconds) the engine will eventually start up again despite being stationary.

If however, I'm in creeping traffic, the system knows not to continuously start and stop if you're only going a yard or so.

I am lead to believe that these are issues that are meant to happen. The first to ensure you don't wear down the battery and the latter because it would drive you insane if you were hardly moving.
Since I got a brand new car I don't think there is anything wrong with the battery. What I found weird is that the engine of my car only stops for around 20 seconds whereas the loaner car that I drive, the engine stops for exactly 50 seconds.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Apparently there are a number of things that will cause the engine to restart uncommanded:

--Poor battery condition
--Battery voltage/available current too low (too many start/stops)
--Excessive cabin temp (hot OR cold)
--Steering wheel movement
--Turn signals
--Impure thoughts on the part of the driver
--Disgruntled spirits from the underworld
--It's Tuesday

I thinks that's most of them, but YMMV. Check the manual.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Hi all,

I just got my new 2015 Cooper S auto transmission. It has the engine automatic start/stop function, which means when you stop the car in front of a traffic light, as long as the transmission is in "D" and your foot is on the brake pedal, the engine will stop automatically to save fuel. And then if you release the brake pedal, the engine will start automatically.

Problem:

The problem I found with this function is that after the engine stops and while my foot is still on the brake pedal (without loosing any pressure on the pedal), the engine will automatically re-start after 15-25 seconds. I called the dealer and they said it won't re-start unless my foot release from the pedal. I drove my car to the dealer and have another loaner car, which is the save model. This one will auto re-start without releasing the brake pedal after exactly 50 seconds (I tested 3 times using my stop watch on the iPhone).

How does this function performs in your Mini? Please let me know.
Depends what is on and how much drain the r is on the battery. If it kicks in the car monitors a variety of parameters eg esp air con or heated seats and then switches the engine back on. Read up on the manual and apparently the car will tell you if you have it on the right menu setting on the central screen.
T h ere are lots of reasons for it to put the engine back on all to do with protecting you the car and the battery. V clever.

Reactions: uke

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Oops sorry Luke missed yours before I started rambling!

·
Registered
998 Posts
i have an auto cooper s & the stop/start doesn't exhibit this behavior. Although I've never timed a stop it definitely holds for more than 15-20 seconds. in fact i don't think I've ever known it re-start without some input from me such as lifting off the brake, moving the gear lever etc. There are occasions where the stop/start doesn't kick in at all & this is usually because the engine or cabin isn't warm enough

·
Registered
216 Posts
What Hat said. But I have a cooper manual.

From what the OP describes, it sounds like the function may have a problem. I leave mine on all the time and am getting used to how it works, e.g., in very cold weather it may go off for a minute or two then start up again on its own without driver input. I get it. Now that I've studied how it works and have lived with it a while, when it goes off or on I understand why. With fuji's problem, it's not making sense unless there's something he's overlooking. Definitely worth a dealer check.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My gut tells me it's working properly.

Sometimes it'll auto start after seconds, others it will take a minute or two. I think it really depends on all the factors previously mentioned. For me, the A/C is ALWAYS on, as is the radio.

Just keep an eye on it.

JP

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Yes sounds to me as if it's fine. How long have you had the car. If only a short while the battery may still be low. Those I looked at in the showroom showed charge in% and were all less than 50.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all your reply. I just bought the car for around 10 days. I usually have the A/C on with 1/4 of max air, both sides 70 degree F. Also I'm keeping the music on (although there is some problem with the Bluetooth streaming, see my other thread). Almost all the time the engine will auto-restart without my foot releasing the brake pedal in less than 20 seconds.

I drove to the dealer and have them check the vehicle yesterday and they kept the car and give me a loaner car. I set the A/C to be max air flow and also have the music on to have a max battery drain. However, the loaner car I am driving doesn't have the same problem with my car, it can last at least 50 seconds, sometimes more than 2 mins. I am doubting that there is something wrong with my new mini's battery?

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Could be the battery. They must occasionally produce a duff one? Hmmm me thinks yuasa 're Boeing dreamliner!!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
When it restarts by itself, have a look at the minimalism screen. If I don't have the split screen active then there is a small text message saying why auto start/stop is not active. I've seen messages about air conditioning needs and driver request...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just got my 2016 Mini and discovered that the engine will turn on when you slightly turn the steering wheel. Maybe this is causing your engine to start?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts