Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a second-hand 2015 Mini One with Visual Boost (6.5" center screen). I know I have 6 speakers - 1 under each front seat, 1 in each door and 1 in each rear side.

The sound just doesn't quite cut it - not after my 2006 Cooper anyway - so I'm looking into some upgrades.

For example one place offered me the following options:
  1. First (cheapest) Option: Replace the door speakers with 2-way speakers, which they said wouldn't do much.
  2. Next Option: Replace the door speakers and add an amp to bump up the 8" speakers under the seats.
  3. Next Option: Component speakers up front, Alpine amp, and Alpine sub.

My question: What exactly do I have now so I can talk to these guys intelligently? For example, are the speakers under the seats really 8"?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Stereos are a tricky thing, you can upgrade 1 part of it and it will sound marginally better but it will only ever sound good pending on the weakest link. ie the head unit, the wiring, the amp, the speakers and the location of the speakers.

You might need to look at 2 main areas, what exactly are you after and how much are you willing to spend to get it? With music, you really cant have Champaign tastes on a Spumante budget.
Also bear in mind that it's still a car, audio will never be excellent and you might even need to look into better insulating from the road noise.

Based on your options above, I would go for an amp and upgraded speakers, not necessarily larger ones but better quality that will handle the RMS from the amp.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As far as I can tell using RealOEM parts diagrams you get as standard 4" speakers in the doors and 6.5" speakers under the seats. Boost adds 4" in rear panel. For HK you get the 4" replaced by 4" midrange with tweeter front and rear. You also get an extra 4" and tweeter combo for a centre channel. The under seat speaker becomes an 8" speaker almost worthy of being called a sub. This as usual may vary in different markets. Dealers generally don't have this level of detail.
You will get an improvement by replacing the 4" with good aftermarket 4" co-axials but they may not go as loud as they will probably be 4 ohm.
You will get an improvement by replacing the under seat spaeker with an after market sub. For the 8" speaker there are lots of drop in replacements. Again the max volume may be effected.
On top of this if you can amp the speakers that will also help or if you prefer you can amp the OEM speakers first. There is no agreement on which is best.
Finally if you use DSP/equalisers and custom built subs it can be a huge improvement.
Needless to say the money and time and effort expands as you go down this list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a large pro-level car audio shop look at upgrading my base stereo in my 2015 S Hardtop this afternoon. It has the Wired package with the large screen, but not the HK upgrade. They told me I have two 4" speakers in the front doors, two 4" speakers in the back, and two 8" speakers under the front seats. It quickly became apparent that upgrading the system is tricky and expensive both in labor and equipment, and could easily result in poorer sound unless done properly. This is not a job for a "shade tree" technician. They felt that partial measures like replacing just the front speakers would not work, and recommended replacing essentially all the factory equipment (speakers, amp, etc). I have dealt with this shop for years, and am sure they are being straight forward with me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a large pro-level car audio shop look at upgrading my base stereo in my 2015 S Hardtop this afternoon. It has the Wired package with the large screen, but not the HK upgrade. They told me I have two 4" speakers in the front doors, two 4" speakers in the back, and two 8" speakers under the front seats. It quickly became apparent that upgrading the system is tricky and expensive both in labor and equipment, and could easily result in poorer sound unless done properly. This is not a job for a "shade tree" technician. They felt that partial measures like replacing just the front speakers would not work, and recommended replacing essentially all the factory equipment (speakers, amp, etc). I have dealt with this shop for years, and am sure they are being straight forward with me.
Hello, how are these door and under-seat speakers connected? Are the door speakers connected to the 8" speakers under the seats? Are they separate?

I want to do a DYI set up but I've read that the OE head-unit has severe equalization and that adding an amp to the base audio system is tricky.

What type of setup you ended up installing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take a look at this website: www.bavsound.com. They have replacement speaker sets for Mini. I haven’t replaced mine yet, but I know people who’ve been very happy with the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2018 LCI with the Visual Boost package. Under seat subs and coax 4" in the doors.
Have been alot at the local car audio firm and discussed and I went with the option MTX TX.6 BMW which includes 8" woofers, 4" mids for the doors and 1" tweeters for the a-pillar. Since I don't have any tweeters in the a-pillar right now I ordered new a-pillars with H/K tweeters from my dealer.

The MTX package was 280£ and two a-pillars ~100£ with some discount.
The MTX speakers have a sensitivity of 93.5dB/w which is quite good for running with low power amp, so I'm gonna start with the original headunit amp to begin with and maybe add an external amp if I'm not satisfied.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hello, how are these door and under-seat speakers connected? Are the door speakers connected to the 8" speakers under the seats? Are they separate?

I want to do a DYI set up but I've read that the OE head-unit has severe equalization and that adding an amp to the base audio system is tricky.

What type of setup you ended up installing?
The door speakers and the underseat speakers are connected in parallel. All speakers are sent the full range i.e. the door and underseat get the same signal. If you want add an amp it is best use an amp that has dsp to correct for the equalisation from the head unit and that takes speaker level input. Take the input from the underseat wiring as it is the easiest to get to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.