Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my 2006 R50 for a 2015 Mini One (previously owned).

The R50 had four speakers (two front, two rear) with separate tweeters in the front doors. I believe that configuration was superior to the four speakers in the F56.

But during my first washing this weekend, I noticed what look like speaker covers under both front seats. Are these really speakers, just covers, or just air vents?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
I just sold my 2006 R50 for a 2015 Mini One (previously owned).

The R50 had four speakers (two front, two rear) with separate tweeters in the front doors. I believe that configuration was superior to the four speakers in the F56.

But during my first washing this weekend, I noticed what look like speaker covers under both front seats. Are these really speakers, just covers, or just air vents?

Thanks in advance.
They are speakers as far as I'm aware however if you've only the standard stereo... There won't actually be speakers in there. I know my Visual Boost has the same grid patterns under the seats, although I've never actually listened to see if anything comes out of them - I presumed the perforations were for the H/K subwoofers, some design cue that you'd find in a BMW.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I tried getting close enough to hear, and it sounds and vibrates like there are actually speakers in them. It seems like a strange place to put speakers as most of the sound would be lost in the seats.

This leads me to my next question: As I wrote, I bought the car second-hand so how can I tell exactly which options I have? I thought I had a pretty much standard One, but I do have some improvements over the base models sold here:
- Black roof with Volcanic Orange body. Base model comes with roof that is the same color as the body.
- Heli Spoke Silver wheels. Base model comes with plastic wheel covers.

I tried a VIN decoder but it was in German and Google translate wasn't much help.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted the local Mini dealer who said the base Mini One comes with six speakers as standard equipment. That answers that...But I still feel the audio configuration in my 2005 R50 was better (and louder).

· Registered
1,837 Posts
I contacted the local Mini dealer who said the base Mini One comes with six speakers as standard equipment. That answers that...But I still feel the audio configuration in my 2005 R50 was better (and louder).
The fact your MINI One has a different coloured roof to the body is a sign that some work has been done outside of factory as factory do NOT offer that. Also the Cooper's come standard with only four speakers so unless the technology packages are different dependent on country then I can't see you having six speakers.

I have six speakers with Visual Boost, I'd have only had four should my car have not been equipped with Visual Boost.

I'd go to far as saying your R50 speakers would be better in regards to the new base speakers.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fact your MINI One has a different coloured roof to the body is a sign that some work has been done outside of factory as factory do NOT offer that. Also the Cooper's come standard with only four speakers so unless the technology packages are different dependent on country then I can't see you having six speakers.

I have six speakers with Visual Boost, I'd have only had four should my car have not been equipped with Visual Boost.
Maybe I should have researched this a little more thoroughly before buying, but this car was too good to pass up. In my market, the good cars are not on the market for long.

1) I actually got the original order from the dealer today (I can't believe they let me have it - seems kind of unethical.) But I found out that the bonnet racing stripes and the roof were added locally. The stripes I have no problem with. The whole roof being a sticker shocked me as I didn't even realize they did this type of thing. I just hope it doesn't become a problem later on.
2) By Visual Boost do you mean a multimedia center screen? If so, that's what I have, which could account for the six speakers. I understand that Visual Boost is also standard in Mini Ones in my market.
3) I also found out I have a spare tire - another surprise as the salesman told me I didn't need one with run-flats. My R50 had one but people told me this was the exception to the rule.

Thanks for your input.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Maybe I should have researched this a little more thoroughly before buying, but this car was too good to pass up. In my market, the good cars are not on the market for long.

1) I actually got the original order from the dealer today (I can't believe they let me have it - seems kind of unethical.) But I found out that the bonnet racing stripes and the roof were added locally. The stripes I have no problem with. The whole roof being a sticker shocked me as I didn't even realize they did this type of thing. I just hope it doesn't become a problem later on.
2) By Visual Boost do you mean a multimedia center screen? If so, that's what I have, which could account for the six speakers. I understand that Visual Boost is also standard in Mini Ones in my market.
3) I also found out I have a spare tire - another surprise as the salesman told me I didn't need one with run-flats. My R50 had one but people told me this was the exception to the rule.

Thanks for your input.
Well I'll be damned! I've never known you get a spare wheel if you've got run-flats, thought that was the whole point! :eek:

Yes Visual Boost refers to a 6.5" screen in the centre of the dashboard, it look like this. If you've got this then this will be why you've got 6 speakers, in terms of sound quality - I think mine are great but I've had them professionally calibrated so I'd suggest asking MINI to look in to that for you.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's my center screen.

I guess I should really check if the tires are run-flats as the salesman said. I didn't really want them anyway as I've heard they have a harder ride that normal tires.

I see you also have a manual. My R50 was an automatic but decided to try a manual this time. My wife was not pleased but she never drove the R50 and has no interest in the new One. I love it on the open road but, sadly, most of my weekday driving is in traffic jams, which can be a pain. I hope I don't start running through clutches...

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes, that's my center screen.

I guess I should really check if the tires are run-flats as the salesman said. I didn't really want them anyway as I've heard they have a harder ride that normal tires.

I see you also have a manual. My R50 was an automatic but decided to try a manual this time. My wife was not pleased but she never drove the R50 and has no interest in the new One. I love it on the open road but, sadly, most of my weekday driving is in traffic jams, which can be a pain. I hope I don't start running through clutches...
That's the only regret I have with my car, I wish I'd gone for auto because most of my driving is stop-start in the city or backed up motorways. It depends how you use your clutch as to whether or not you'll wear it out quicker than its expected life, if you constantly ride it or engage when you've got your foot on the break pedal too then you're likely to find it'll stand the test of time.

I'm one of those people that doesn't ride the clutch simply because I can't be bothered using my feet to move all of two inches every five seconds in traffic, I'm the person who'll be in front of you that doesn't move until there's at least a good run to catch the traffic ahead up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.