Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm really struggling with picking the right direction. We're looking to add a 3rd car to the family specifically for commuting (40miles each way) and my fj cruiser is a terrible commute car. I'm looking for a fast little race car, 4dr (kids) thats fun and efficient. Seems like the mini hardtop s is the ticket, i'd like the JCW but they dont make it in the 4dr.

Been really struggling to go from the base S setup to the way higher priced loaded options. Its so much nicer to have all the options, but its 10k more. My options im debating on are 2015 base S at 27k, 2016 S loaded 37k, 2015 S loaded 6k miles cpo at 30K.

I'm not terribly familiar with mini's yet, i've heard i may want to keep under warranty and then get out of it before im on the hook for expensive maintenances that apparently 'are GOING to happen' on mini's. Is it worth the extra 10k for loaded 2016? Any worries about doing the used model?

-JD

·
Registered
200 Posts
All depends on how willing you are to part with your $10k I suppose! Personally I'm always weary of used cars just because I don't know how they were treated before I got it. Especially demo cars where the whole point is to sell the car to the tester...meaning lots of redlining and extreme braking.

I ordered a fully loaded JCW... So you know where I stand when it comes to the upgrades GO BIG OR GO HOME! Lol... But for instance, is an in car gps any better than a portable garmin? Maybe. Is it $1500 better? To some..

Others would say save the $10k on fancy electronics and spend it on coil overs, suspension upgrades, exhaust upgrades...

In the end it all depends on how you are going to use the car and how much you want the toys

·
Registered
200 Posts
Crazy question, but are there any "must-have" performance upgrades that would give some instant pep on top of the S? given i cant do the JCW on the 4dr. That would be reasonable to do.

Thanks,
JD
I wouldn't say there are any MUST HAVES for performance. Get it and if you find you want more you can always add the Jcw kit after or Jcw exhaust that will boost power a but for you. I have never been in a circumstance in my previous MCS where I found myself needing more power and not having enough. The only absolutely must have option for me would be the LED lights. Don't know if I can buy a car without them now

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly, with the extra $7K you save going from the 2016 to 2015 (loaded), you could take that money and put it towards mods or any work that may need to be done once your warranty is up. Plus, if it's a CPO, you get an additional 2 years of warranty on top of whatever is left on the current cars warranty (and if it's a 2015, you prolly have ~3 years left, meaning you would have ~5 total...more than a new MINI). At 6000 miles I seriously doubt there are enough on it for it to do anything bad to the car and if so...that's what the warranty is for. Unless the 2015 looks like it's been through a can opener I don't see a huge reason to spend all the extra money. Just my two cents. Let us know what you choose!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.