Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just bought my car 2016 f54 clubman S less than a year ago now. I got a check engine light for drivetrain malfunction, then I borrowered my friends code reader and it turned out to be an engine misfire in cylinder 1. I took the car to the dealership to check on it and they just told me that there was a leak in engine oil which caused the sparkplug to short and damage the piston! So the engine is now no good and will require a new engine which will cost $16k 馃く
The car MY16 with just under 33K on the odometer!!! Am in shock and of course the car is out of warranty!!! Can anyone help, or guide me to what to do?

Attachments

Registered
Hey everyone,

I just bought my car 2016 f54 clubman S less than a year ago now. I got a check engine light for drivetrain malfunction, then I borrowered my friends code reader and it turned out to be an engine misfire in cylinder 1. I took the car to the dealership to check on it and they just told me that there was a leak in engine oil which caused the sparkplug to short and damage the piston! So the engine is now no good and will require a new engine which will cost $16k 馃く
The car MY16 with just under 33K on the odometer!!! Am in shock and of course the car is out of warranty!!! Can anyone help, or guide me to what to do?
I鈥檓 really sorry to hear that, perhaps you can go get a second opinion, maybe you can try to fix the oil leak, replace the spark plug and or spark plug wire, and try some Lucas engine treatment. Does the car run at all? I know this is a far shot but you might as well try and if the engine is truly completely toast then you can鈥檛 do any more damage lol

Registered
How can a fouled spark plug damage a piston? Did they show you video of the damage with a borescope? I have fouled many spark plugs and not once did it cause damage to the engine. Either there is something more to the story or they have a large boat payment to make. I would demand a complete explanation of how this damage occurred. It could be a damaged engine can foul a spark plug, broken or damaged rings or broken valve seat for instance.

if your engine is indeed damaged it would probably be cheaper to rebuild it or possibly replace it with one from a low mileage wrecked MINI.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, sorry to hear about it, does the car have a Full Mini history? If so, might be worth trying for a goodwill replacement?
Thank you! Am just in complete denial right now. I am taking the car on a tow truck to another place, but I will certainly write something up to Mini. Am the second owner n all services were done at the dealership. It's funny when I asked them for the service history, they said that they already replaced the radiator when the car had 10k on the odometer! Not sure if this was a lemon that wasnt driven enough to show the faults!?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I鈥檓 really sorry to hear that, perhaps you can go get a second opinion, maybe you can try to fix the oil leak, replace the spark plug and or spark plug wire, and try some Lucas engine treatment. Does the car run at all? I know this is a far shot but you might as well try and if the engine is truly completely toast then you can鈥檛 do any more damage lol
The car is running, but it shutters n the engine feels like it will stall. I just don't understand what's the issue, and they are not giving me the full picture!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can a fouled spark plug damage a piston? Did they show you video of the damage with a borescope? I have fouled many spark plugs and not once did it cause damage to the engine. Either there is something more to the story or they have a large boat payment to make. I would demand a complete explanation of how this damage occurred. It could be a damaged engine can foul a spark plug, broken or damaged rings or broken valve seat for instance.

if your engine is indeed damaged it would probably be cheaper to rebuild it or possibly replace it with one from a low mileage wrecked MINI.
Am puzzled just like you! Hence, why am trying to see of anyone else had this nightmare before, or heard of it, or provide reasons!

Registered
Am puzzled just like you! Hence, why am trying to see of anyone else had this nightmare before, or heard of it, or provide reasons!
Hey everyone,

Take it somewhere else . does it use a lot of oil ? change the spark plug/ s, do the tappets rattle, never heard of oil damaging piston as it would be pushed out of the exhaust valve and it would have smoked badly second opinion needed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts