Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the JCW Clubby has/got more torque than the little brother? I was under the impression they are the same engine etc etc.

Mini fancies its latest Clubman as more an executive car than a typical premium compact. Think BMW 5 Series to the regular Hardtop's 3 Series. With that in mind, you can think of the new John Cooper Works Clubman as a Mini M5 of sorts.

The new JCW Clubman boasts a number of features not offered on its little brothers. Mini engineers are squeezing 228 horsepower out of the 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder, just like on the Hardtop model. But the bigger John Cooper Works gets a significant bump in torque, up from 236 pound-feet of torque to a more robust 258 lb-ft. And with a standard All4 all-wheel-drive system, the JCW Clubman maximizes the ability to deploy that extra power.

Regardless of transmission, the new Works model hits 60 in 6.0 seconds and runs up to 147 miles per hour, 0.9 seconds quicker and five miles per hour faster than the S model we drove last year. A sportier suspension, meanwhile, drops the ride height 0.4 inches, so expect at least slightly better handling from Mini's newest Works model. Exclusive two-piece sport seats should keep drivers in place while exercising the newfound handling ability.

But beyond the extra power, all-wheel drive, upgraded suspension, and neat seats, the JCW Clubman is largely a mishmash of parts we know and like. It uses the same standard six-speed manual and optional eight-speed automatic as the regular car, while the polarizing six-doored body wears the usual JCW tinsel – 18-inch wheels and a more aggressive body kit that promises better engine and brake cooling. And it still has a weight problem – the new car weighs in just under 3,500 pounds to the standard car's 3,300-pound curb weight.

Mini hasn't published pricing, but if the trend set by the Hardtop and Convertible continues, we'd wager the new JCW will start around $35,500, tacking $6,000 onto the S model's $29,450. Well, at least Mini has the executive-level pricing down. The John Cooper Works Clubman should hit US dealers in December.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/20/2016-john-cooper-works-clubman-official-0539/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Because it needs it due to the extra heft. IIRC, even the S to All4 S has a slightly different torque curve. I'd prefer more aggressive gearing to make up for the torque deficit and let it make more power up top.

Sent from Tandy 400

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HTML:
Because it needs it due to the extra heft.
I thought so but it never hurts to ask questions.:D:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be interested to drive one of these, if I can convince my dealer to keep me in the loop. I assume the biggest contributor to the torque increase is more boost, but I wonder if it starts to develop boost earlier in the RPM range. (Quentin, where did you read the ALL4 had a different torque curve? Just curious.) My Dinansport controller gives my ALL4 more torque, but only noticeably above 2800RPM. I like those seats! Dynamica is gripper and more comfortable than leather over a long ride - my old Passat TDI proved that to me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Torque is mentioned in the press releases. The full (preliminary) specifications can be found here .

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet it will be a hoot to drive but it is still too big for me.:D:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll be interested to drive one of these, if I can convince my dealer to keep me in the loop. I assume the biggest contributor to the torque increase is more boost, but I wonder if it starts to develop boost earlier in the RPM range. (Quentin, where did you read the ALL4 had a different torque curve? Just curious.) My Dinansport controller gives my ALL4 more torque, but only noticeably above 2800RPM. I like those seats! Dynamica is gripper and more comfortable than leather over a long ride - my old Passat TDI proved that to me.

On MINI's website, they show peak power of 189 for both S models (FWD, All4). The 189hp is made at 300RPM lower on the All4, which means the torque curve is different at both 4700 and 5000RPM. That means the mid range is a little stronger on the All4, but the FWD makes better power a little higher in the range. Considering the way that the power falls off a cliff at 5000RPM, I'm guessing the JCW manages to just hold the torque better up high in the range (resulting in the extra ~30hp).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
SD has more torque than any of them

But not sexy enough to be interesting, until you see that sub six seconds you-tube video :nerd:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very interesting and that interior is sweet. Will be curious to see what power gains can be squeezed out of it by aftermarket companies.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It has already been added to the Mini USA configurator. The option packages are very interesting in that the overall cost is much closer than one might expect when compared with a comparably equipped F56 JCW. I really like the added utility, but it is a very heavy car. 0-60 times are listed as equal/better than the F56, but I suspect there is a tradeoff in real world conditions.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Some interesting tidbits I've discovered via the configurator and other sources:
- Wireless charging will be offered, like on 2017 BMWs
- Navigation/Connected XL will apparently sport a touchscreen and the UI is getting a refresh. The F60 will also have this change, but probably just those two models for now. No confirmation of CarPlay, but if we don't see it later this year, I would expect it as part of the 2018 LCI refresh.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Interesting that the configurator for the MCS Clubman All4 has been off-line for a while. I wanted to compare pricing on a previous build. Because of the option packaging, the JCW may be very close. I wonder if they are realigning the option packages for the other All4 Clubman cars as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Configurator is up this morning and I confirmed my suspicion. Take a Clubman S All4, add the JCW Exterior and Interior packages, and the technology package and the price is nearly the same. The big differences are in the technology package (includes HUD and parking assistant) and the LED lighting (included with the JCW, but an expensive option on the S).

Granted, not everyone would choose those options, but with a starting price of US $35,950 (incl delivery), it's priced well ... much better than expected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts