Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mini is not cute it got character!!!!!!:D:D

Mini's killer app is the three-cylinder turbo, but trademark cute looks don't hurt

I drove the drop-top version of this Mini a few weeks ago and said it wasn’t a teeth-cracker (ie: overly stiff suspension), speculating it was due to the convertible softening things up. I now feel vindicated, considering this hardtop IS a teeth-cracker/kidney-buster.

The roads on my commute home aren’t what you’d call “in good shape.” I skip the clogged freeways for Detroit’s back roads, some of which are crumbling. I hit a bump so hard I thought the wheels were going to blow off. It didn’t look big; it was just a spot where the blacktop crinkled up, but ****, I thought for sure I’d see some tire sidewall bubbles. But apparently they withstood the onslaught.

The steering is heavy, and respectably quick, but I didn’t get a lot a feel through the wheel. However, like I’ve said before, I’ll take heavy and direct without feel over loose and sloppy any day.

This turbo three-cylinder is a wonder. Put the trans in S mode, the selector in sport mode and this Cooper is quick. It builds power nicely, too, without a lot of turbo lag. Shifts are quick from the Steptronic six-speed -- not DCT quick, but fun for “spirited” driving.

As far as looks go, I’d spec my Mini with British Racing Green and white stripes. The only more classic look would be the Union Jack on top, but this is America, dammit. They should make an orange one with the confederate flag. Just kidding, they shouldn’t do that.

The engine is the best part of this car, by a long shot. Get the manual, rev the crap out it, and for God’s sake, avoid anything bigger than a nickel out on the roads.

-- Jake Lingeman, road test editor

read the rest here

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...-cute-quirky-and-bone-crunching#ixzz4IGnndeV8

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wonder what sized wheels their test car had? My Cooper (in BRG with white stripes btw) has a firm but pliant ride on 16" wheels. Big wheels mean awful ride and expensive tyres so why bother?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
My cooper has 17" wheels and I don't find the ride harsh. I would say on pair with the other family car, volvo v40 r-design with 17". Maybe the test car had 18" wheels with run flats? Always read bad things concerning run flats.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I agree I am happy with 17" cosmos and non runflats. I didnt wwant run runflats ,my r56s was shocking in terms of ride quality with runflats. So hard it lost traction on poor roads and was contradictory in terms of grip and traction.I wouldn't want my f56 any firmer though i bet the 15" and16" options are even better for ride quality but I went for what I liked tthe look of! How shallow am I!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Absolutely don't get it about so many MINI owners hating the runflats! This is my 1st MINI & my JCW has 18" cup spokes with P7 runflats and sport suspension with no dampers and it's absolutely stellar! I suppose it's all about what a driver is used to, but I've had cars that ride rougher...it's really spot on for a sports car in my opinion. I will likely try non runflats at some point but with runflats I feel I have some protection between the wheels & the pavement with the stiff sidewall, plus they will get me home if I have a puncture. I may be the odd man out, but I love my MINI the way it came from Oxford! ;-)

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The Pirellis are better than the Dunlops, but they still don't compare to a set of decent performance tires and the ride was quite harsh compared to the Michelins that I have on it now. The hard cornering has definitely improved with the Michelins as well, less slide and better traction. Sort of reminds me of the old commercial, "try it you'll like it!" The biggest difference for me was ride quality, but I have never had a premium set of runflats to compare. Pirelli makes a good tire and they are good value for the money, but runflats are stiffer and harsher riding due to the construction of the tire. Either way the new mini is a winner for miles of smiles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Absolutely don't get it about so many MINI owners hating the runflats! This is my 1st MINI & my JCW has 18" cup spokes with P7 runflats and sport suspension with no dampers and it's absolutely stellar! I suppose it's all about what a driver is used to, but I've had cars that ride rougher...it's really spot on for a sports car in my opinion. I will likely try non runflats at some point but with runflats I feel I have some protection between the wheels & the pavement with the stiff sidewall, plus they will get me home if I have a puncture. I may be the odd man out, but I love my MINI the way it came from Oxford! ;-)
To be fair my Mini came from Oxford without Runflats.

Also, they say the ride is harsh, but it's an American reviewing it. They can't be trusted with the big, floaty, vague-feeling cars they most seem to drive over there.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In Italy:
Tires "Pirelli P7 Cinturato" 18" is very bad as road handling (from experience that some holders) :(.
Instead tires "Pirelli PZero" 17" and are better as a product :laugh: but unfortunately most ugly to be seen :crying:(and especially also smaller):crying:.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In Italy:
Tires "Pirelli P7 Cinturato" 18" is very bad as road handling (from experience that some holders) :(.
Instead tires "Pirelli PZero" 17" and are better as a product :laugh: but unfortunately most ugly to be seen :crying:(and especially also smaller):crying:.
Yeah, my SEAT Ibiza came with Pirelli P7 tyres, they are absolutely ******* terrible. Below average in the dry, dangerous in the wet.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
F54 s clubman here with 18" bridgestone runflats rides better than my f56 on 17" non runflats!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bridgestone UP/TOP;), Pirelli Cinturato DOWN :crying:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts