Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all its claimed Britishness, most MINI design and development is carried out in at BMW’s huge FIZ technical centre in Germany. Sure, the company has proven to have an innate understanding of MINI, and has turned the oh-so-English minicar into a truly global brand… but it’s still not fully as authentically British as it purports to be.

But at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed, that so very British of motoring events, MINI had a surprise for us. The new MINI John Cooper Works Challenge, a limited-to-100 edition that’s not only just for Brits, it was developed by Brits, in Britain, to boot. It’s a little bit of taking MINI out of Europe and seeing what we do with it on our own.

And nobody’s upset by this ‘Brexit’.

Developed in secret with MINI Plant Oxford’s ‘Building 71’, a small lock-up on the massive manufacturing site that houses the factory MINI Challenge race team, this genuinely is a project that BMW approved but acted only as facilitators on: all the decisions and all the development was carried out in Britain, with final honing done in conjunction with performance car magazine Evo.

Fresh off the line for its first-look opportunity, we were there to find out more, both from MINI and Evo – and, more importantly have our first drive of the MINI that Britain made.

http://www.motoringresearch.com/car...hn-cooper-works-challenge-review-first-drive?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
It's a shame that it only comes with a very basic interior, as for many, that excludes it from being an every day road car. Other than that, it sounds great, and those add on bits will be available for your own car eventually. I could do with the wheels now!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, I am miffed! You think they would have made a few thousand of these for their American cousins! I want one! )-: I bet is it a twisty super monster!
At least they could make the pieces available through Mini.

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was interested in seeing if you can create your own JCW Challenge by purchasing items after market (obviously without full Mini warranty)

Pro exhaust - available (with Mini warranty)
Bespoke Body Kit - available (with Mini warranty)
Team Dynamics Pro Race Wheels - available
Michelin Cup tyres - available
Quaife Diff - available
Mintex Race Brake pads - available
Nitron R1 Coilover system with camber plates - not available!

I contacted Nitron to see if the kit is available for the Mini F56 and this was the answer -
I'm afraid due to an agreement with Mini we cannot sell any kits for the
Mini F56. As far as I'm aware owning a challenge car will be the only way to
obtain Nitron suspension!
So the only thing you can't get is the Nitron coilovers but I suspect KW Clubsport may offer something similar

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Do the Team Dynamics Pro Race Wheels clear the JCW Brembos without a spacer? The only after market wheel specifically made for the JCW that I'm aware of are the NM's.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Do the Team Dynamics Pro Race Wheels clear the JCW Brembos without a spacer? The only after market wheel specifically made for the JCW that I'm aware of are the NM's.
Team Dynamics Pro Race can be specified in any custom offset and can be ordered to suit...

They do have a std. 17x7.5 ET37 5x112 which will fit (23mm more poke than OEM wheels). Without lowering they may look to stick out more than they actually do.

At a guess I think these are the wheels on the Challenge car which have -2 negative camber dialled in which is why the wheels fit well in to the arches with some room to spare on a lowered car

PS The NM wheels made for the JCW are 7.5 ET40 (20mm more poke) if it helps for comparison

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have clubsports to fit to my car so I will let you know when I fit them how they are.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Look forward to hearing what you think of them... I'm curious how they will be like on the road as I have heard they can be uncompromising and very firm..

I'm not sure how they will be like with the adjustments on offer as they may be quite acceptable for road use

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.