Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking at getting a cooper D auto, 2017. As someone who is more used to manual cars.... Apart from the usual "drive", "park", "neutral" and "reverse" selectors, does this have a low gear option for up steep hills? Or is is so advanced it's not needed? Thanks in advance 馃榿

Super Moderator
No it won't have a low gear option-it's far too clever- and will simply change down to the appropriate gear-not had the diesel auto but our JCW clubby was auto and it also had sport auto-higher revs and connected to the sat nav so it knew which gear it needed to be in-clever stuff-don't think the diesel is that advanced but it'll be very good.

Reactions: Mzjodie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it won't have a low gear option-it's far too clever- and will simply change down to the appropriate gear-not had the diesel auto but our JCW clubby was auto and it also had sport auto-higher revs and connected to the sat nav so it knew which gear it needed to be in-clever stuff-don't think the diesel is that advanced but it'll be very good.
Thank you, with a dodgy left shoulder now, I'm looking for an easier drive!

Super Moderator
It's easy. P ut in drive and go. No more input needed. Even trafficking and Bill starts are easy. Just sit with foot on brake to stop creep .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great, I know with old autos, hills and snow etc sometimes posed a challenge. I've noticed in the USA many autos have "paddles" on the steering wheel. So, what is the point of the m/s to the left then? Is it worth using? Or do you recommend just using D? Thanks in advance 馃榾

Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
Flick it to the left for Sport and let loose. If you have driving modes put that in Sport too :)

I tried the manual option (flick to the left then move the lever / use flappy paddles to change gear) but I bought an auto for the ease!

I have to caveat and say I haven鈥檛 driven the car in any adverse weather conditions but green mode will help keep things under control in snow and ice.

Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
I sometimes flick the lever across to 'M/S' when descending a long hill to help with engine braking, rather than having to ride the brakes all the way down. In extreme cases I'll also manually shift down a gear or two using the paddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts