Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The just announced new 2017 Clubman JCW has a bit more torque and a touchscreen interface. Does anybody know if these changes carry over to the hardtop? (My 2017 JCW hardtop is produced and ready for shipping - hence my question.)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I doubt so as the clubman doesn't go into full build for several weeks yet!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Wondering if the touchscreen will only be found on the Clubman and F60 going forward and the Hardtop keeps the standard screen, similar to what BMW does with their lineup; 2,3,4,X1 get standard screen, higher end models like the 5,6,7,X5 get the touch screen.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm also surprised MINI released a picture of it, but said NOTHING about it in any press release.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think it's a great looking thing, the front end could've been made to look a little more aggressive?

May see what they can do in terms of trade-in in a couple of years, think the clubman's have always been a good looking car

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wondering if the touchscreen will only be found on the Clubman and F60 going forward and the Hardtop keeps the standard screen, similar to what BMW does with their lineup; 2,3,4,X1 get standard screen, higher end models like the 5,6,7,X5 get the touch screen.
I hope the touchscreen doesn't find its way into anything personally, I detest them. Get covered in grubby fingerprints (especially the kids) and that drives me nuts. Give me buttons or an iDrive thingy any day. Nothing wrong with a nice mechanical 'click'.

Reactions: KYDan and pjsjr13

·
Registered
615 Posts
I hope the touchscreen doesn't find its way into anything personally, I detest them. Get covered in grubby fingerprints (especially the kids) and that drives me nuts. Give me buttons or an iDrive thingy any day. Nothing wrong with a nice mechanical 'click'.
I'm a little OCD like that too lol

My last car had touch screen but fortunately I could still use the buttons and knobs to get the required option so never used it as a touch screen...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm not a fan of touchscreens either, but if the 2017 BMWs are any indication, you will still have the iDrive controller.

Some interesting tidbits I've discovered via the configurator (which now has the JCW F54 live) and other sources:
- Wireless charging will be offered, like on 2017 BMWs
- Navigation/Connected XL will apparently sport a touchscreen and the UI is getting a refresh. The F60 will also have this change, but probably just those two models for now. No confirmation of CarPlay, but if we don't see it later this year, I would expect it as part of the 2018 LCI refresh.

I've also been told the voice recognition system has been reworked so you can use more natural commands instead of a list of preprogrammed commands. More "Siri-like" if you will...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The touchscreen interface will more than likely only show up on the F56 Facelift, rather than a model year change. The standard F56 JCW won't receive a power boost to be in line with the Clubman JCW as far as I'm concerned, just like any other engine variant in the line up - the Clubman receives a slight power bump due to the added weight in order to make it perform on par with its counterparts.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Technology Package offered on the JCW Clubman is quite a deal. It adds the HUD, Parking Assistant and Wireless Charging for only US $2,250. That combination on the F56 JCW adds up to US $3,500 and it doesn't even offer the Wireless Charging option.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I personally do not like the mini heads up display. I prefer a windscreen projected display that should include GPS information as well as race tracks. I have that on my C7 and I love it. As far as the touch screen I also hate it. it is on the center console infortainment system screen and I despise it. Maybe all of us O.Fs. should pool our resources and bribe BMW to build the perfect mini!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I prefer the look of the Clubby front end to the hoover-like snout on the F56 MCS and JCW.
I agree, I'm not a great fan of the bottom-feeder scoop at the front of the F56 at all really, especially from the side I think it does stick out quite a bit

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I believe the design of the pedestrian impact front bumper restricted designers on the front of the F56. Remember also, the B48 twin scroll turbo generates a lot of heat, so at least the grill openings are functional, especially on the JCW!

Without having to design around that massive front bumper would have given designers much more latitude. Safety regulations restrict innovative designs more than help...a sad reality these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts