Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2019 Cooper S. My only gripe is it’s an automatic since here in the US manuals are pretty much non existent. This car really needs a manual!

Is it possible to do an auto to manual swap?

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
Wow if you want a challenge-bet it is doable but the costs involved may be good reason to order and import a brand new manual or seek one out! We went from manual to auto and initially didn't feel so connected but once used to it in manual mode or the amazing sport auto I actually am very happy. In fact sport auto mode seems to read my mind re gear changes and makes me grin more than any manual ever has!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Quite apart from the feasibility and cost effectiveness considerations, I wouldn’t say that the manual transmission in the F series is one of its better features. The clutch action is impeded by a release delay valve and the shift action itself is springy and notchy, with an unusually strong detent spring on reverse. BMW-like it ain’t!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quite apart from the feasibility and cost effectiveness considerations, I wouldn’t say that the manual transmission in the F series is one of its better features. The clutch action is impeded by a release delay valve and the shift action itself is springy and notchy, with an unusually strong detent spring on reverse. BMW-like it ain’t!
The CDV is quick and easy fix, easier than most other BMWs.

The shift action is never going to be as good as a on RWD BMW, for obvious reasons. Not a bad little box though once clutch delay and engine mount are sorted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agreed, but it would be nice if the action it was as good as a FWD BMW, or for example any VAG manual gearbox.
The 1 series I drove felt exactly the same, probably because it is.

Can't honestly say that I dislike the shift action on the JCW but then I've had mid-engined cars with much longer cables that those on the F platform cars.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You're right, it depends on what you use as a comparison. I just think it's not a box worthy of considering major auto to manual surgery on a 2019 car for !

Auto to manual is occasionally undertaken on classic Issigonis Minis, where there still are some low mileage and looked-after auto box equipped cars about which are deemed suitable for the swap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good advice above re. swapping the car rather than the transmission, a more cost effective option in all likelihood.

But having said that.. I just had a look on eBay and most of the parts required (including a choice of manual) can be had for well under £1000 this side of the pond. The rest is just workshop time, yours if you have the tools and the skills, a day or two labour to a mechanic who's done it before.

Or just buy a Quaife 6 speed sequential gearbox, as fitted to the Mini Challenge cars. Clutchless upshifts and built to handle 380hp. Will go perfectly with a forged motor fed by a well spec'd hybrid turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After practicing with it on the street to get my mind in sequential-shift mode (like the zillion Japanese motorcycles I've owned), I took my 2017 F56 to its first track day last November with the automatic in "M" mode. Easy to do, responsive...all the things I would want a manual to do. Yes, there is something very satisfying about the feel of running up and down the gears using a clutch, but functionally, the Mini automatic was aces and I've talked myself out of "needing" a stick.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The CDV is quick and easy fix, easier than most other BMWs.

The shift action is never going to be as good as a on RWD BMW, for obvious reasons. Not a bad little box though once clutch delay and engine mount are sorted.
What's involved with removing the CDV on the 3rd-gen MINI's?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts