Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Countryman PhEV and a basic 2017 Cooper with JCW body kit so it looks really smart. I'm looking at swapping Cooper to a JCW with new 8 speed auto rather than the manual I have at the moment. Anyone know what the real difference is with the new 8 speed auto please vs the previous auto box. I'm told better mpg and a quicker 0-62 (5.8 secs)?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe a DCT transmission when compared to the previous style used in mini's is a lot faster, more efficient and also sounds better. The increase in the amount of gears available should also lead to increased fuel economy. The only downside I can think of with a DCT box is they are sometimes not quite as smooth as traditional automatics, however with just normal cruising I doubt this would make any considerable difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been testing a DCT Cooper S four times before purchasing my Cooper JCW with that new 8-speed auto.

Must say that the DCT feels more natural and accurate when it comes to throttle response compared to 8-speed transmission in mid mode. DCT is perfectly tuned to resemble a manual transmission - you feel the car reacting to your right foot instantly. I really loved that feeling I got in a Cooper S. But when it comes to the JCW, in "mid" mode that 8-speed has some pedal lag that's typical to modern cars running a regular AT and it always tries to jump into a higher gear. When you flip the driving modes switch into "sport" AND switch the gearbox into "sport" as well, the car becomes a different kind of a beast - it's quick, it's ultimately responsive, its aggressive. I really like how you could switch car behavior around, going from smooth and civil to aggressive and responsive. In general, I love the 8-speed transmission though compared to the DCT it may feel lacking until you get used to using sport mode. DCT on the Cooper S felt more suitable for a Mini in "mid" though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou everyone. Ordered a JCW with auto. No delivery date yet though

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts