Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in photos and videos of the 2021 Sidewalk Convertible, when the interior is visible, a digital TFT panel can be seen that replaces the analogue speedometer and tachometer instrument housing and I think it nicely updates the area behind the steering wheel. I wonder if it will actually make production and if so when and what levels will get it. I know some recent BMW motorcycles have the TFT screen as an option and I would pay extra if it were not standard on my next Mini.

Would you add it?

RET

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
542 Posts
It is supposed to be compatible with our cars - someone on NAM posted this week the dash is available from the dealers and has been fitted to a F56 :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
It is supposed to be compatible with our cars - someone on NAM posted this week the dash is available from the dealers and has been fitted to a F56 :)
I admire your determiniation with retrofits! I bet your car's spec is much better than it started with :)

I bet its not a cheap though! In the spy shots it looked awful - like the new Mercedes dash or Playstation visuals.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
542 Posts
I admire your determiniation with retrofits! I bet your car's spec is much better than it started with :)

I bet its not a cheap though! In the spy shots it looked awful - like the new Mercedes dash or Playstation visuals.
I haven't done many retrofits as every time i look into doing 1 i come across a problem - can't fit the light package components (glovebox, footwell or map reading lights) due to new module and wiring and probably coding required,
I did fit the false boot floor which needed the seat back catches, side panels, floor and tie down rings, pro front splitters, blackout surrounds as these were all bolt on parts, BMW have made sure any electrical add ons aren't plug and play unlike most other manufacturers where you usually have the wiring in place :(

I can't find the post regarding the dash? it did say the price was around $600 for the display, can't remember if it was plug and play with coding?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've pre-ordered a Cooper SE, which will come with the new digital instrument cluster as standard. I would love to retrofit the new cluster in my 2019 F57, though, so I'm very intrigued by this thread. Can anyone point me to the thread on NAM of a supposed retrofit?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If true, this is the best damn news I've heard all day. Hopefully the same is true for the F54. As much as I love our MINI, those analog gauges leave a lot to be desired compared to the rest of the interior.

Can you link the thread where you found this?

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
542 Posts
i tried searching the other day for where i saw the post which even had a photo of the dash in a F56 but can't find it? I go on the F56 owners group on Facebook as well so it might have been on there but i can't see it there either now :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
After much searching on both NAM and Google, this is the best I could come up with:

North American Motoring

Which links to this YouTube video:

Test, neues Display/Gauge vom MINI SE in einem F56 S BJ 2016 - YouTube

There’s a link within the comments of the video.
Better than what I could find - which is to say nothing.

Working off of some assumptions here, but if MINI intends to offer that digital display as an option on non-electric/GP models, then the new display should be relatively plug and play.

I can't imagine they would invest time and money into changing how the display mounts to the steering column (or connects to the harness) if they didn't have to. It also doesn't appear that any changes were made to how the display is controlled - no new buttons on the steering wheel or control stalk.

Regardless, it is reassuring to see that even the digital display for the Mini E mounts and turns on when connected to an older F56 with NO infotainment system.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Someone provided me with the VIN for a (USA) 2021 Cooper 3-cylinder manual, with the new digital instrument cluster, which is very similar to my 2019 F57 Cooper manual. Using that VIN I contacted a dealer and told them I’d like the part # and cost of the new cluster. This is what the dealer had to say:

“Unfortunately, these are factory installed items only. So you wouldn't be able to upgrade. The problem is that there are several components involved in the whole process. Not only would it be the display unit but the wiring harness is different as well as the control module has different programming specific to the features that are factory installed.”

If the wiring harness is different, then how come folks are literally taking the clusters out of one car and putting them in another without issue? The programming is obvious; you have to do that to even replace the existing cluster with a new one of the same kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
“Unfortunately, these are factory installed items only. So you wouldn't be able to upgrade. The problem is that there are several components involved in the whole process. Not only would it be the display unit but the wiring harness is different as well as the control module has different programming specific to the features that are factory installed.”
LOL

Yeah I'm not surprised your dealer isn't interested in helping. I was told the same thing when I inquired about retrofitting a steering wheel with paddles in my F54, a process that has been done time and time again by other forum members with relative ease.

The most difficult part right now will be sourcing the Dynamic Digital Cluster. Considering current supply chain shortages, I can't imagine there are any floating around on 3rd party websites like eBay quite yet.

I'm not a coding expert, but I suspect that, once you obtain the latest psdzdata for your car, you should be able to enable the DDC option through eSYS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, my dealer tends to give me the same blanket statement when I ask about any retrofitting.

Here’s my thoughts.

The gigamot website, which is a Germany based MINI/BMW tuning shop, has the unit available for Pre-Order for previous year F-Series MINI’s. According to their website if you select the “for mini with Navi” option from the drop down menu, it mentions an included cable (inkl. Kabel). Thinking this could be either the cable that feeds from the navigation to the display cluster (to allow for turn by turn directions), it could be a cable that feeds from the cluster to the heads up display (to allow for turn by turn directions or to display the speed) or a cable that allows for the cluster to connect to the actual car.

So I’m assuming a cable needs to be swapped but I’m not entirely sure if the cable they mention is an OEM factory cable or an aftermarket cable they developed that allows for everything to function properly.

Home :: MINI :: MINI 3rd Generation F54-F57 :: MINI Hatch F56 :: Accessoires F56 :: Vorbestellung - Display MINI GP3 für MINI Fxx [CLONE]

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
542 Posts
The gigamot website, which is a Germany based MINI/BMW tuning shop, has the unit available for Pre-Order for previous year F-Series MINI’s. According to their website if you select the “for mini with Navi” option from the drop down menu, it mentions an included cable (inkl. Kabel). Thinking this could be either the cable that feeds from the navigation to the display cluster (to allow for turn by turn directions), it could be a cable that feeds from the cluster to the heads up display (to allow for turn by turn directions or to display the speed) or a cable that allows for the cluster to connect to the actual car.

So I’m assuming a cable needs to be swapped but I’m not entirely sure if the cable they mention is an OEM factory cable or an aftermarket cable they developed that allows for everything to function properly.

Home :: MINI :: MINI 3rd Generation F54-F57 :: MINI Hatch F56 :: Accessoires F56 :: Vorbestellung - Display MINI GP3 für MINI Fxx [CLONE]

Maybe the cable to connect to the sat-nav means it'll have the same setup as VAG models where you can get the sat-nav screen in the display?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maybe the cable to connect to the sat-nav means it'll have the same setup as VAG models where you can get the sat-nav screen in the display?
The factory installs of the 6WB cluster definitely have nav info in the instrument cluster. Retrofitting the digital clusters in BMW’s (same option code, by the way) is pretty common and very straightforward. I think depending on the vehicle’s equipment, a new wiring harness is not necessarily required. It sounds like maybe MINI’s with the 6WB might be the same, based on the info above. I was hoping the dealer would at least give me the part # to the non-SE/non-JCW cluster. No luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yea, my dealer tends to give me the same blanket statement when I ask about any retrofitting.

Here’s my thoughts.

I wonder why Gigamot is referring to it as a clone??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Damn, I would have been happy at just the thought of getting the non-tacky fuel level gauge cluster on my 2017... in fact I still would be. If someone with an 18/19/20 does this mod hook me up with your cluster :)

This is cool and all, but when cars like Audi have the 3D virtual cockpit navigation in that area and fully customizable tachometers, it makes the likely high price tag of the upgrade less attractive. but hopefully it pushes the availability up and cost own of the last gen physical variety...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts