Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
When a MINI "gears up to rival a Kia", you feel something is wrong.
I dunno, need to see it without the camouflage.
But the body shape and ground clearance leaves a weird impression.
First the car makers took hatchbacks and pulled them higher to call em crossovers / CUVs, explaining that higher ground clearance is better because you can see more and can be more confident over bumps. Now they lower the CUVs to hatchback height to do ... what exactly?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When a MINI "gears up to rival a Kia", you feel something is wrong.
I dunno, need to see it without the camouflage.
But the body shape and ground clearance leaves a weird impression.
First the car makers took hatchbacks and pulled them higher to call em crossovers / CUVs, explaining that higher ground clearance is better because you can see more and can be more confident over bumps. Now they lower the CUVs to hatchback height to do ... what exactly?
Yes, I know what you mean, the clue is in the name "Mini".
You can't have a BIG Mini can you! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
We call our Countryman Max !

The new Countryman coming out next year is even bigger 😱 At this rate it will soon be as big as an X3 😂

As for the Aceman I really don’t like it and from shots of the inside I’ve seen it’s as boring as a Tesla or inside of a fridge. It’s pretty soulless and doesn’t look like a Mini should, so good help all us Mini fans if this is the direction all their cars are going in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
While I don’t get all the hate for the trapezoidal headlamps (the bezels on the camouflaged mule are fake, as are the skyward “scoop” and tail lamp covers), I agree that a bland, no-toggles interior is a step in the wrong direction.

That said, are we seriously decrying its size?? It’s smaller than the current F60, which is itself barely larger than a Golf Mk7! Sheesh. My 2018 XV Crosstrek is bigger than an F60!

·
Registered
43 Posts
It’s great to see MINI are finally developing a ground up model, what I would like to know is, what has happened to the long overdue JCW GP Electric ? Spy teaser shots a plenty in 2020 nothing since…

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its not happening.
Tbh after seeing what Abarth announced for their Abarth EV, I would assume that with the current level of technology it is impossible to make a small car with powerful enough motor and large enough battery to have crazy acceleration AND decent mileage per charge and still keep the car small and relatively affordable.

As you pack more power in a car, you need a bigger battery to sustain it. As you increase battery size, you increase weight and you again need more power.

Somehow the Abarth EV turned out to be slower than the 595 petrol counterpart (heavier and less powerful)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tbh after seeing what Abarth announced for their Abarth EV, I would assume that with the current level of technology it is impossible to make a small car with powerful enough motor and large enough battery to have crazy acceleration AND decent mileage per charge and still keep the car small and relatively affordable.

As you pack more power in a car, you need a bigger battery to sustain it. As you increase battery size, you increase weight and you again need more power.

Somehow the Abarth EV turned out to be slower than the 595 petrol counterpart (heavier and less powerful)
As you say no faster than a bog standard Mini SE with less power and torque!
The only way to make it faster is a different motor and bigger battery. Some way in the future yet with lighter more power dense batteries.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
277 Posts
As you say no faster than a bog standard Mini SE with less power and torque!
The only way to make it faster is a different motor and bigger battery. Some way in the future yet with lighter more power dense batteries.
Those aren't the only ways to make it faster. You could make it lighter. You could alter the gearing or add a shifting transmission. These all come with a cost or comfort penalty though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Those aren't the only ways to make it faster. You could make it lighter. You could alter the gearing or add a shifting transmission. These all come with a cost or comfort penalty though.
Abarth 595 used to weigh about 1000 kg.
The EV version is almost 1400 kg.
Given how light the original car is, i doubt there's much left to ditch for weight reduction tbh, given that we must keep car interior in place :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts