Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I've been looking everywhere, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on this.

I have a 2018 Cooper S Clubman ALL4 with the (205) Steptronic transmission. An optional (2TB) Sport Automatic transmission was available but not equipped on my MINI. From what I've read online, the (205) Steptronic and (2TB) Sport Auto are mechanically identical, and the only differences with the 2TB are paddles, launch control and a more aggressive shift profile.

I've read that it is possible to activate the more aggressive shift profile using ESYS, but I am not comfortable coding the commands myself. Some owners claim they were able to remote-code the Sport Transmission shift profile using a now defunct ebay seller. I've also read that some US dealerships have done conversions to the 2TB (installed steering wheel with paddles and activated coding) but none of the service centers in my area seem to know what the hell I'm asking about.

I autocross my MINI and would appreciate the more aggressive shift profile, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on how I can get this done. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to activate the more aggressive 2TB transmission coding on my MINI? I'm located in Central Texas, if that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't let me send it through. I have a 2016 F54 Clubman and Bimmercode. If you could tell me how I'm able to change, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help
Hopefully you hear back. Unfortunately Bimmercode doesn't have the option to code 205 to 2TB for the F54, or at least it didn't when I checked a few months ago. I highly recommend anyone that wants this feature to email Bimmercode at [email protected] to let them know. If they get enough requests theres a possibility they might add the feature in a future release.

205 to 2TB coding currently requires eSYS, which is much less user friendly than Bimmercode.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can't be done with Bimmercode because the VO needs to be edited to include the 2TB or any other option codes. Bimmercode doesn't have the ability to edit the VO, so you need to do it the hard way, or pay someone else to remotely code the car to make it easy on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a day off of work yesterday so I decided to try coding it myself. Bought the ENET cable, downloaded E-Sys, downloaded the loader, downloaded an emulator to make the loader work, downloaded the PSdZData, put everything in the right folders. That took a long time because I had to use my old, slow laptop since my new one doesn't have an ethernet port. And if it's unplugged for more than five minutes it shuts off, so I had to run a 50 foot extension cord from my garage to the car. And then I ran another extension cord for my battery tender. And it was cold and raining and snowing.

BUT, I now have the Sport Transmission in my car. I tried the launch control and it works (the graphic shows up on the instrument cluster). The transmission shifts a little bit harder in M/S, but I don't think it's a major difference. But I can now say I did it, and I probably won't use E-Sys again, because Bimmercode is just way easier to use. I did buy a JCW steering wheel with paddles, so once that shows up I'll bolt it in to finish the transformation (and I might change the shifter later on to the red-stitched version to match).

Thanks again for all of the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a day off of work yesterday so I decided to try coding it myself. Bought the ENET cable, downloaded E-Sys, downloaded the loader, downloaded an emulator to make the loader work, downloaded the PSdZData, put everything in the right folders. That took a long time because I had to use my old, slow laptop since my new one doesn't have an ethernet port. And if it's unplugged for more than five minutes it shuts off, so I had to run a 50 foot extension cord from my garage to the car. And then I ran another extension cord for my battery tender. And it was cold and raining and snowing.

BUT, I now have the Sport Transmission in my car. I tried the launch control and it works (the graphic shows up on the instrument cluster). The transmission shifts a little bit harder in M/S, but I don't think it's a major difference. But I can now say I did it, and I probably won't use E-Sys again, because Bimmercode is just way easier to use. I did buy a JCW steering wheel with paddles, so once that shows up I'll bolt it in to finish the transformation (and I might change the shifter later on to the red-stitched version to match).

Which MINI do you have? Where did you buy your steering wheel? Definitely post pictures once the job is complete. Curious whether mine has the required connections for paddles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey y'all,

I've been looking everywhere, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on this.

I have a 2018 Cooper S Clubman ALL4 with the (205) Steptronic transmission. An optional (2TB) Sport Automatic transmission was available but not equipped on my MINI. From what I've read online, the (205) Steptronic and (2TB) Sport Auto are mechanically identical, and the only differences with the 2TB are paddles, launch control and a more aggressive shift profile.

I've read that it is possible to activate the more aggressive shift profile using ESYS, but I am not comfortable coding the commands myself. Some owners claim they were able to remote-code the Sport Transmission shift profile using a now defunct ebay seller. I've also read that some US dealerships have done conversions to the 2TB (installed steering wheel with paddles and activated coding) but none of the service centers in my area seem to know what the hell I'm asking about.

I autocross my MINI and would appreciate the more aggressive shift profile, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on how I can get this done. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to activate the more aggressive 2TB transmission coding on my MINI? I'm located in Central Texas, if that helps.
Did you code the sport auto transmission on your car or found a cheaper than $100 solution?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought the required OBD cable off of amazon and paid ndal2 to code it for me. I think it came out to less than 100 dollars total but I would say the results are worth it.
So your vehicle probably as mine came without paddle shifters on the steering wheel? I was thinking that maybe without paddle shifters coding to Sport AT wasn't worth it, but you seem to think it is.

user: ebrown mentioned "www.codemybimmer.ca", so I sent them an email and person said that they can do custom remote session for $75 to code that Sport AT option

·
Registered
85 Posts

Hey, I searched online and found some pieces of software that could be needed to code that Sport AT. I have a laptop and will purchase OBD to Ethernet adapter. My car is F55 Cooper S but in the below software I see F56. Is F55 still supported?

1) So if you remember, please correct/direct me to see what I have and what I may still need.
  • E-Sys 3.27.1 (I guess this should be good enough)
  • E-Sys Launcher Pro 2.8.2 (I think)
  • PSdZData_Lite_v4.21....the size is about 6GB when unzipped
  • NCD. CAFD Tool (no idea is I need it or not and how to use it)
  • BFU_XODE file
  • Pin and Activation code and It did accept it and E-Sys software opened
2) After installing E-Sys, the launcher(applied pin and activation) my PC's local drive has: C:\EC-Apps and C:\Data folders. Now I don't know what to do with PSDzData file after unpacking, where to put files/folder?

3) Some online forums suggest backing up current ECU - easy to locate or do it?

4) Lets say all of the above is configured, what about finding proper settings to code Sport AT and possibly enable Launch Control(not that I would be using it more than once)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So your vehicle probably as mine came without paddle shifters on the steering wheel? I was thinking that maybe without paddle shifters coding to Sport AT wasn't worth it, but you seem to think it is.

user: ebrown mentioned "www.codemybimmer.ca", so I sent them an email and person said that they can do custom remote session for $75 to code that Sport AT option
Correct, my F54 did not come with paddles. Whether it's worth it is entirely subjective, but I definitely noticed the difference. 205 to 2TB coding enables the following:

• Noticeably quicker shifts especially in Sport+
  • Transmission holds gears much longer and much closer to redline under aggressive driving conditions
  • Launch Control
  • Enable paddle shifting

·
Registered
2020 Moonwalk Grey LCI F56 S (Salt) (Current) / 2006 Pure Silver R53 (Hot Chili) (Former)
29 Posts
Hey, I searched online and found some pieces of software that could be needed to code that Sport AT. I have a laptop and will purchase OBD to Ethernet adapter. My car is F55 Cooper S but in the below software I see F56. Is F55 still supported?

1) So if you remember, please correct/direct me to see what I have and what I may still need.
  • E-Sys 3.27.1 (I guess this should be good enough)
  • E-Sys Launcher Pro 2.8.2 (I think)
  • PSdZData_Lite_v4.21....the size is about 6GB when unzipped
  • NCD. CAFD Tool (no idea is I need it or not and how to use it)
  • BFU_XODE file
  • Pin and Activation code and It did accept it and E-Sys software opened
2) After installing E-Sys, the launcher(applied pin and activation) my PC's local drive has: C:\EC-Apps and C:\Data folders. Now I don't know what to do with PSDzData file after unpacking, where to put files/folder?

3) Some online forums suggest backing up current ECU - easy to locate or do it?

4) Lets say all of the above is configured, what about finding proper settings to code Sport AT and possibly enable Launch Control(not that I would be using it more than once)
From point no. 2 locate the PSdZData folder inside the C:\Data folder, and replace it with the PSdZData_Lite_v4.21 you mention, remember, complete replacement not a merge.

About the rest of the procedure I found this thread, which should work for you: Coded 2TB Sports Automatic Transmission into F55 Justa - North American Motoring

·
Registered
85 Posts
Correct, my F54 did not come with paddles. Whether it's worth it is entirely subjective, but I definitely noticed the difference. 205 to 2TB coding enables the following:

• Noticeably quicker shifts especially in Sport+
  • Transmission holds gears much longer and much closer to redline under aggressive driving conditions
  • Launch Control
  • Enable paddle shifting
Thanks. So I guess first 3 would be for me as I am not going to replaced steering wheel or add paddle shifters. Do you know if regardless of paddle shifters, the coding needs to be done or omitted if no paddle shifters present?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey!

This morning I did FDL coding to EGS where I marked Sport T/M enabled(as it was disabled) Also in EGS there is Launch Control which was already set to active, although it didn't work before. I didn't have time to test it after enabling Sport AT setting. Didn't do anything to BDC_Body or KOMBI as NCD tool showed identical settings for these modules when 205 or 2TB is added.

So here is the thing I have observed: For the first 2 or 3 gear shifts, it doesn't hold high RPMs and shifts between 4 - 5K, after that it holds up to 6100K or so.
What I don't like is that it feels as if the transmission shifts abruptly and gives a jolt on some occasions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts