Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Our roads, our roads...

Are you going to lower it as well?
I will not, as much as I prefer the look and the performance from a lowered suspension setup. Our roads here are far to harsh, and would render the vehicle very harsh and bone jarring (I speak from previously lowered and stiffened suspension vehicles). If I were too, I believe the 20MM would be too aggressive, and perhaps would involve some form of fender rolling mod.

Cheers,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Si Si, but...

Just a question...bigger the spacer, longer the relevant arm...softer the suspension?
Si, but, 20mm on either side, I don't think will make that much of an improvement in drivability over potholes (ah yes, major metropolitan city littered with potholes on main streets, on ramps and off ramps, and all major intersections). If you live in Rome, there is NO comparison to Montreal, and how bad our roads are. Night, and Day, and Rome is not great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to emphasize the wheel spacer effect...

I was trying to capture a picture, that would emphasize the wheel effect of the wheel spacer.

We are not talking inches here LOL...

20mm = to hair more than 3/4"

The standard wheel and offset, I find, really emphasis the narrow tires of the JCW (205mm) and they are really tucked inside deep of the fender well.

Unfortunately, the pictures do not do it justice, I will take more photos.

With the wheel spacers, the JCW just looks more bulldogish in stance. And it doesn't look taller or have more fender gap than it already has.

I may toy with the idea of lowering the car, but I am not sure at the moment about the driveability and degradation to be expected given that the roads I drive un are really, REALLY bad.

If I did go the lowering route, I would need to assure that the coils purchased would be progressive rate. BUT, using progressive coils, may hinder the 20mm wheel spacers without modifying or rolling the fender wells.

·
Registered
32 Posts
... 20mm spacers with 215 tires (that may be closer to 220 actually) assuming it will be on the stock wheels, if the car ever gets lowered you are screwed, the back will rub, there is no way around it ! I have 18x7.5" ET48 wheels, 205 tires that are more ....215 say, 11mm spacers, 30mm down, the induced camber doesn't make it for the extra poke, and we will have to trim the inside lip of the arch, or find smaller spacers, if not "no" spacers for the back.

Without lowering, or a lot less, like 20mm, sure, but it probably will look ... funky.

In my case, the front is absolutely flush with the extended arch of the JCW, (wheel + spacer is an ET 37 with the extra poke from the wider wheel) the rim exits the fender a little but in person, it just looks perfect. The back really is where we found things to be surprisingly harder to settle.

Also, with big spacers, bearings take a lot more in the teeth, it is a mechanical effect. Sure it won't destroy them right away, but if you put very sticky tires and extra large spacers you will inevitably induce a lot more forces on those bearings. Lighter wheels, in the other hand, can lighten the burden a little.

In the case of the JCW, it is a tricky equation as you know, no matter what ! ... but there are good proven setups out there. Only if you want to be picky about the wheels, it can get frustrating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
finally splurged and got the JCW 506's

... 20mm spacers ... it can get frustrating.
Just got new shoes...

I do not really put much mileage, I presently have 3200km (picked her up in June 2016, and stored her November 1st 2016). The parts manager has been awesome, with pricing and help. I have the adjustable suspension, and the dealer (yeah, I know they are not tuning techs, but none the less) mentioned that you can't just swap out the springs. Not sure why, but he said it won't work. Will investigate next year (the tires & rims cost me 3K) as my future mod.

Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice wheels, they'll look fantastic!

The dealer is incorrect about swapping springs on the adjustable dampers as many, including me, are running Eibachs/NM etc lowering springs with no issues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice wheels, they'll look fantastic!

The dealer is incorrect about swapping springs on the adjustable dampers as many, including me, are running Eibachs/NM etc lowering springs with no issues.

Mode OT on

Have you had problems with vibrations by mounting the lowering springs (Eibach PRO-KIT ?) on DDC Dynamic Damper Control - (VDC in Italy) ? 0:)
Tnx :X

Mode OT off

·
Registered
386 Posts
How did the 20mm spacers affect handling? Any negatives? I'm considering the same on my JCW, but would like to know if there are any notable issues, especially with the stock Track Spoke wheels.

BTW ... love your new wheels ... not sure about the stickers, but it does look great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.