Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well, as I recall the pressures cold for the 205/40/18's are 42psi front & 39psi rear. I would think the same would be fine!

Sometimes I bump up the pressure some, especially in cooler temps since the TPMS varies a bit across all 4 tires. I go by my gauge though anyway so I know they are exactly what I want.

Maximum inflation pressure should be on the tire also, so I'd look there for non runflats.

Reactions: winceyette

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Interesting!
On my 225/45/17 I have 2.4bar (35psi)...

49 e 39 psi Ant/post... Are not to hard? Expecially in R18...
Not to me! Nice and firm which I prefer over too cushy a ride....that's why I love the sport suspension without variable dampers. If I liked the look of the ACS 19" wheels more I'd be strongly considering those that work with 35 aspect ratio tires! Larger wheels just look better on the F56 to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Door plate on my MCS shows:

2-up - F 2.7bar (39psi), R 2.5bar (36psi)
Fully laden - F 3.1bar (45psi), R 2.9bar (42psi)

Tried leaving at the higher setting once after loading the car up but felt a bit hard for me. Suppose it's all down to personal choice.

Not overly impressed with TPMS accuracy - always shows about 1.5 psi below actual (I've verified with 3 separate gauges, one digital and two analogue).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just a word on changing for a wider tyre on the same alloy, I did this on my old E92 and went from 225 on the front to 235 and from 255 rear to 265 and it made the car handle awfully! And they were brand new Goodyear F1 Eagle's so not a poor tyre, once these had worn I fitted exactly the same tyre but in the correct size and the problem had gone completely!

May not translate to the thinner tyre or geo setup of the Mini but I just thought I'd give my experience of fitting a wider tyre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've had them changed for 215's. I knew the width would be fine as I've had them on previous MINIs.
Obviously the ride is so much better and much quieter. The tyres themselves are so far so good.
I've gone for Vredestein Ultrac Satins. They've only been out since April and there weren't many reviews on them(and quite hard to find too), but in the dry they're pretty awesome.. Much more planted than the Pirelli runflats, which is a given. They're meant to be highly rated in the wet so its forecast rain tomorrow so I'll push them a little.
Happy with them so far and they've not even been scrubbed in yet. Would definitely recommend, and for £98 per corner you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
386 Posts
An interesting post. I always question BMW/MINI tire pressures posted for US models because they tend to default to max load rating. It's pretty obvious they don't trust us to keep up with the pressures.

Not so long ago, the door plates were more honest. My E39 M5 specifies pressures of 44F/48R; however, that drops to 34F/38R "Outside USA and Canada." I've found that 38F/42R works very nicely, resulting in a good balance of ride, handling and wear.

My X1 specifies 35 lbs all around, regardless of load. Dropping to 32 makes a huge difference in ride, with no noticeable impact on handling or increased tire wear.

I wonder what the ideal setting are for the F56.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.