Mini Cooper Forum banner

215/45/17 tyre on stock 17" track spoke JCW wheels

Tags
tyres wheels
8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  PJ33 
#1 ·
I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to whether I can fit a 215 width tyre on the stock 17" JCW wheels without the sidewall rubbing on the coilover.

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay thanks, its just that with the weird off set on the wheels it's very close you can see in the photo that there is barely any gap between the strut and sidewall so I'm just worried that it might rub under load. Im going to get PS4 Michelin's if that helps.

#7 ·
I'm currently running 215/45/17 with 17x8 ET45 on my JCW and have about 5mm of space between the tyre and strut. Based on that, just use Willtheyfit and compare the distance from the strut. DISCLAMER, I'm having DDC strut, I don't know if it would change anything in my fitment but I prefer to let you know ;)

#8 ·
I'm currently running 215/45/17 with 17x8 ET45 on my JCW and have about 5mm of space between the tyre and strut. Based on that, just use Willtheyfit
I'm currently running 215/45/17 with 17x8 ET45 on my JCW and have about 5mm of space between the tyre and strut. Based on that, just use Willtheyfit and compare the distance from the strut. DISCLAMER, I'm having DDC strut, I don't know if it would change anything in my fitment but I prefer to let you know ;)
View attachment 72535
Yeh I just ended up saying screw it and got 215/45/17 pilot sports fitted on Tuesday, I've had no clearance issues so far and the grip is insane.

#12 ·
What brand of tyres do you have on now Campbelleuan?

I ask because we have an i30N which come stock with Pirelli P7 HN and people had issues when switching from the P7 to the Michelin PS4 with certain wheel offsets as the PS4 is larger than the P7 even in the same 235/35/r19 so much so that with the 8.5" Team Dynamics 1.3 that are on the car for summer use I don't think I could get away with PS4 without rubbing the wheel arch on compression.
I could just set the dampers to N mode as I'm sure they just lock solid at that point :LOL: at least that's how they feel and one of their track instructors said the only circuit he might use it on was Silverstone because of it being so flat for the F1 cars, at the Ring they use comfort setting! So when people talk about how firm the Cooper S is I offer them a ride in the i30N instead

#13 ·
What brand of tyres do you have on now Campbelleuan?

I ask because we have an i30N which come stock with Pirelli P7 HN and people had issues when switching from the P7 to the Michelin PS4 with certain wheel offsets as the PS4 is larger than the P7 even in the same 235/35/r19 so much so that with the 8.5" Team Dynamics 1.3 that are on the car for summer use I don't think I could get away with PS4 without rubbing the wheel arch on compression.
I could just set the dampers to N mode as I'm sure they just lock solid at that point :LOL: at least that's how they feel and one of their track instructors said the only circuit he might use it on was Silverstone because of it being so flat for the F1 cars, at the Ring they use comfort setting! So when people talk about how firm the Cooper S is I offer them a ride in the i30N instead
I've got Michelin pilot sport 4's on the car at the moment at 215/45/17 and I've had no problems with it rubbing so far but I'm going to get a new set of wheels before I start lowering it.

#14 ·
Good news that they clear

I got the wrong Pirelli's too they are P Zero's, not P7, and similar to the Michelin PSS I've ran in the past do not work well in winter conditions. I run Wintrac Pro's on stock wheels in winter and I'm now trying to decide what to put the Cooper S on. I can't make my mind up if I should just run a good set of all seasons like the Crossclimate 2, Bridgestone Weather Control or go the whole hog and run 2 sets of wheels for both cars :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.