Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving home this afternoon and i was having a play with Mini Connected which i haven't used for a while. I selected the Driving Excitement app & brought up the sports instruments which display bhp & engine revs.

on a straight steady climb up a dual carriageway in full sport mode in my S Auto i floored the accelerator & let it go. The bhp meter climbed quickly straight to 189 & held there for a couple of seconds & then to my amazement climbed to 197 & then to 222bhp before i had to start winding down!

i'm pretty sure 189bhp is the published max power of the F56 S but is it possible that it has more than that or is the app getting over excited? i've no idea where the app takes the readings from.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mini quote 192 hp for the S but that is continuous. For short periods (under 10 seconds from memory), the turbo is allowed to 'overboost' which may be where your 222 hp came from - you would have to have been over 4700 rpm during that period to get that.

However 192 to 222 is a big jump for overboost - it 'only' increases peak torque from 207 to 221 ft-lb so power would go up by the same percentage. Any chance you were looking at a torque figure, as that seems to match?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the screen mini connected displays only shows bhp & revs unfortunately. the dials available through the driving excitement screen in vehicle settings display power & torque on a graphic but these don't display an actual figure

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is interesting.

It is well documented that BMW/MINI cars often produce more power than advertised when measured on a rolling road. I had a 2007 MCS, which should have produced 192 lb Ft of torque but when tested produced 211 lb Ft.

I also think that the 192 hp figure is without overboost and that if the car overboosted above 4,500rpm then more than 192 hp would be produced.

Therefore it is not inconceivable that somewhere a very healthy F56 MCS in the right circumstances could produce significantly more than 192 hp.

However I also think that the app is not measuring actual hp, rather it is calculating what it thinks the car is producing. I don't know whether this is just based on rpm, or whether it uses a more comprehensive set of live measures.

As I said at the beginning, interesting. I'm going to connect mine now to see what happens!

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
As law states I've read before that bmw are conservative with their figures .I like that.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried it again this morning, hit 231bhp this time at 5832 rpm which equates to 208 lb-ft torque

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it possible that you are activating Launch Control? That's mentioned in the manual somewhere, and is specific to the auto box. You're not supposed to use it all the time, though! :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, launch control has to be activated at rest with a defined series of steps. Not tried that yet as it states only to use it a few times over the life of the car which i dont like the sound of

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Me neither hat. Seems crazy to me. In the past it was only on the more exotic cars and I remember reading an evo article that said if buying ask the dealer to hook the car up to the computer to see how many times lc had been used and to avoid it if it were over so many. 3 or 4 I think. Mad . Design a system to ruin the car . Mmmmm

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
on the F56, it can be used 100 times over the life of the car and it cannot be reset by MINI.

Not going to lie...I'm going to use it at least once, just to see how it works....for science of course...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
on the F56, it can be used 100 times over the life of the car and it cannot be reset by MINI.

Not going to lie...I'm going to use it at least once, just to see how it works....for science of course...
I have a confession: I used it on the loaner car from the dealer twice. As I do not have auto myself I figured I had to at least try it>:D

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
100 goes not so bad I suppose. Must admit I would give it a go in a demo car but feel very guilty for the next owner.

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
360 Posts
I attached the mini connected app this evening to see what figures I could achieve. The first thing that is apparent is that the power and torque figures don't just relate to engine speed through a simple algorithm. The figures seem to vary according to gear, road conditions, traction control setting etc. Most of the time the car was giving around 190 hp and 220 lb Ft of torque, however on one occasion I managed 205 hp in first gear and on another 235 lb Ft in fourth gear. I remain intrigued.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
aw, i tried this myself in normal mode and in sport mode (auto trans) and the most i got was 192hp and i think it was 207 lb ft, and i did full throttle a couple of times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.