Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2015 5 door MINI (petrol Cooper) went in for its first service last week - I mentioned that the indicators had (intermittently) started flashing faster so this could be sorted whilst it was in.

Picked the car up from the service all seemed good, a new indicator unit had been fitted to fix the indicator problem...BUT the next morning my wife reported the MINI had just flashed up a 'Pedestrian Warning System Failure" message and to 'Drive the car to MINI dealer'

Managed to drop the car back into the dealership today for them to take a look...got a call from the service chap late afternoon to advise me that the car needs a completely new wiring loom which will involve most of the interior trim to be removed and refitted.

The car has covered 19K miles and is less than 2 years old and to say Im disappointed would be a gross understatement....:mad:

Has anyone on the forum encountered this happening before on the F model MINI ??

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Mick, what are the chances that you contact BMW and see if they will do a buy back? I would be mad as **** if they have to go in take almost the whole car apart and install a new harness.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mick, hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. The CAN bus hugely reduces the amount of wiring. It probably only needs replacing in one section between a body control module (or whatever it's called in Mini service speak) and the pedestrian warning sensor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evlkarl - Ill be honest that is how i feel right now but not sure that will happen as BMW will prob want an opportunity (or 3) to put the car right. Its a real shame as up until this point the car has been brilliant.

Koryak - the service manager said it needed a whole new loom..something to do with fibre optics blah blah.....Ill ask him again to confirm if its just a section or the whole loom

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yikes, sounds like a big job. Not sure I'd want the dealership monkeys trying to carry out that :/

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Surely not; not the whole loom-just the relevant bits-as above it would be a huge job done while there's no carpet or dashboard in the car-I would not let them do the whole loom-i'd want a new car!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Mick, hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. The CAN bus hugely reduces the amount of wiring. It probably only needs replacing in one section between a body control module (or whatever it's called in Mini service speak) and the pedestrian warning sensor.
I believe it's called the Body Domain Controller.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Mick a good start would be getting your Dealer involved talking to BMW as well you talk to BMW sometimes that way the wheel moves faster. When I had problems with my trim fading I told Mini Customer Service that I am on the Mini Forum and keep the rest of the gang "updated" on there great Customer Service I got the ok to get the car fixed in a week. Honestly do not know if that helped but you never know. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Evlkarl - Ill be honest that is how i feel right now but not sure that will happen as BMW will prob want an opportunity (or 3) to put the car right. Its a real shame as up until this point the car has been brilliant.

Koryak - the service manager said it needed a whole new loom..something to do with fibre optics blah blah.....Ill ask him again to confirm if its just a section or the whole loom
They no longer get three chances to repair it - if you're serious about rejection then mention the Consumer Rights Act (2015).

According to the assessment submitted to MINI UK from the Fianancial Ombudsman regarding my F56 SD, which has been accepted as a rejection by MINI UK states the following:

"Hire purchase agreements taken out after October 2015 are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (CRA). Under the CRA, the car must be of satisfactory quality when supplied, and free from minor defects. If a consumer complains within the first 30 days after supply about a fault, the consumer can seek to reject the car. If a fault is found in the car within the first six months from supply, the supplier of the car must be given the chance to repair or replace the car. If the attempt at repair is unsuccessful, then Mr Bardsley has the right to receive a refund or reject the car."

The assessor later confirms they only have one chance to rectify any faults. It did used to be law that they had three attempts to fix, however due to the implementation of the CRA this is no longer the case.

Although after writing this I realise your vehicle was more than likely purchased after the date mentioned, however I'm sure the principles could be applied.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Folks

Thanks for your supporting words....no phone call today from the Service Manager so I'll update this thread once I've spoken to him.

I am very wary of letting them effectively dismantle the car as I had a very poor experience once on my new Golf Convertible several years back which needed a complete new roof fitting due to the headlining dropping a little bit (yes really) and if suffered badly from condensation thereafter ( despite numerous attempts from dealer to resolve)

Mick

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - I spoke with the Service Manager (decent guy) last week who explained to me that whilst it was possible to replace a section of the loom that is suspect, this would negate the remaining MINI warranty so it is the only viable option (extreme that it is).

So...we are still waiting for the new wiring loom from the factory, our car has had all the interior removed.

I have made it very clear that I expect nothing less than a perfectly good car to be returned to me sans electrical problems and NO RATTLING TRIM !

Ill update as this develops...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like a dream job for a lucky technician. Looms are just about the first thing fitted in the production line, while there is easy access. Hope they've done a good job. For a bit of perspective, here was the puzzle inside an enigma that is the stripped down loom in my Puma before fitting...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Yes loom comes in a bag they empty the bag into the shell and loom goes in then the dash etc. Youtube video is good factory visit better!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Mick I am in the exact position as you headlights was playing up saying I hit a pedestrian etc been told it's a 5 week wait inc fitting the part when it arrives as don't carry any in Germany totally pissed of tbh was told there was 2 other cars in U.K. It all to do with water jets leaking on wire loom

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after a 1 month wait (3 weeks wait for the part itself) the dealership fitted a completely new loom. BMW factory were citing quality issues as the reason for the delay - doesn't bode well does it

Ill be honest I did make a fair amount of fuss about not wanting the car back unless it came back exactly as it went in - i.e. no trim rattles, noises etc..

Anyway, Im pleased to have our MINI back and touch wood so far so good, ill be straight back onto MINI if I encounter any gremlins.

Apparently the Dealership had another MINI in their workshop for exactly the same issue, perhaps this forum should keep a close eye on this issue in case it becomes a pattern e.g. like Fartnugget's car

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Glad it has been resolved and they sound like they made good job of it. No small undertaking!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts