Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
So after a 1 month wait (3 weeks wait for the part itself) the dealership fitted a completely new loom. BMW factory were citing quality issues as the reason for the delay - doesn't bode well does it

Ill be honest I did make a fair amount of fuss about not wanting the car back unless it came back exactly as it went in - i.e. no trim rattles, noises etc..

Anyway, Im pleased to have our MINI back and touch wood so far so good, ill be straight back onto MINI if I encounter any gremlins.

Apparently the Dealership had another MINI in their workshop for exactly the same issue, perhaps this forum should keep a close eye on this issue in case it becomes a pattern e.g. like Fartnugget's car
very pleased to hear that and hopefully mine won't take to long then I spoke to them few days ago and still not received loom and that be just over 2 weeks they have allowed them selves 4 days to fit it I have asked if it be done by Easter 15th April and she said it better be , they have been very good to me and kept me up to date and lent me a car so still mobile just glad it isn't costing me as I was told the loom is £3.5k

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car is a 2015 Mini Cooper D, was driving on the motor way and lost even power distribution and felt like driving on a oil slick, no warning lights came on !!, I paid outright for the car which was less than 2yrs old and only drove 2500 miles in it on day 50 of owning it this happens. I’m now told it’s where water had entered the wiring loom and it now needs to replace it, they have now had the car 3wks and probable still another week........what do i do ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My JCW is currently in for this. Went in for an air con fault and they found an issue in health check which meant it needs a whole new wiring loom. The thread doesn't make comfortable reading for me!

Zero faith in the dealer at the moment. They said they are hoping to get the car back to me tomorrow but let's see!

Fingers firmly crossed

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
My car is a 2015 Mini Cooper D, was driving on the motor way and lost even power distribution and felt like driving on a oil slick, no warning lights came on !!, I paid outright for the car which was less than 2yrs old and only drove 2500 miles in it on day 50 of owning it this happens. I’m now told it’s where water had entered the wiring loom and it now needs to replace it, they have now had the car 3wks and probable still another week........what do i do ?
Did they at least give you a loan car?

Fave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys - my 2015 F55 has just been diagnosed with moisture in the wiring loom. This presented initially as 'vertical headlamp adjustment failure', then 'driving stabilisation failure' simultaneously with 'brake failure'. The dealer suggest the loom needs replacing. They have no spare car to give me. I'm out of warranty and the dealership are currently pleading with Mini to cover the cost, regardless...but if they can't I'm not sure what to do as I don't have the money to cover such an expensive job. Surely, though, this is a manufacturing issue that Mini should take responsibility for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, my car has the exact same problem. I've posted about it in the electronics section. It is 3.5 years old, I bought it from new under PCP so it's 6 months out of warranty. There is a puma measure in place for this fault and I've read on here they've changed the design of the wiring loom so water no longer gets into it.

I was told it would cost £3k to get it fixed.

The mini sales advisor put in a goodwill request and mini have said they will cover the parts and 80% labour leaving me with £500 plus diagnostic fee £120 so £620 in total.

This doesn't seem right to me as its a manufacturing/design fault so I believe it should be completely paid for by mini.

Did you have to pay anything to get yours fixed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my car has the exact same problem. I've posted about it in the electronics section. It is 3.5 years old, I bought it from new under PCP so it's 6 months out of warranty. There is a puma measure in place for this fault and I've read on here they've changed the design of the wiring loom so water no longer gets into it.

I was told it would cost £3k to get it fixed.

The mini sales advisor put in a goodwill request and mini have said they will cover the parts and 80% labour leaving me with £500 plus diagnostic fee £120 so £620 in total.

This doesn't seem right to me as its a manufacturing/design fault so I believe it should be completely paid for by mini.

Did you have to pay anything to get yours fixed?
Hi

Just wondering if you got anywhere with this?
My wife's Mini has just been diagnosed with the same problem new wiring loom needed due to leak .
The very same discount offer has been made to her which seems like a good deal but if its a manufacturing fault and potentially very dangerous is it? Her car is 2 months out of warranty recently purchased full service history and only 17000 miles. I think I need to ring Mini customer services and see if they will improve the offer perhaps

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
Under UK law an expensive item like a car should last 6 years so you should be able to get stroppy!

·
Registered
563 Posts
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the effectiveness of the repair is going to very much depend on the ability of the dealer to reassemble the car properly after such a deep dive into it. You deserve to have this sorted without ending-up with a painful bill and/or a car full of rattles. Good luck! 🙂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Just wondering if you got anywhere with this?
My wife's Mini has just been diagnosed with the same problem new wiring loom needed due to leak .
The very same discount offer has been made to her which seems like a good deal but if its a manufacturing fault and potentially very dangerous is it? Her car is 2 months out of warranty recently purchased full service history and only 17000 miles. I think I need to ring Mini customer services and see if they will improve the offer perhaps
Further to above I rang Mini Customer services and they said it was the centre (dealer Coopers Durham) who were making the charge for 20% labour. Rang Coopers and they said no Mini have authorised the goodwill at the levels specified they have nothing to do with what is charged and to be honest I believe the dealer why should they have anything to do with the level of goodwill? Coopers have gone out of there way to help by ringing Mini in the first place. So it looks like I will be having a battle with Mini, from experience with BMW ownership in the past never had any problems and always excellent service so surprised at response. If this issue is occurring regularly surely it should be a recall issue, or do a few tragedies have to occur first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the exact same problem. Washer fluid has leaked onto the wiring loom causing it to swell. We took it to mini Sytner to get a diagnosis as the pedestrian protection system fault kept popping up as well as vertical headlight something, I thought it was a broken sensor for the pedestrian issue, and a broken actuator for the headlight. How I was wrong. Mini have said to me that they no longer use the plastic and use a fabric tape to protect from the water, which to me seems like an admission of guilt, seeing as they’ve proactively changed the material on new models. They said they would charge £2794 but will contact mini for goodwill, but after telling them that the car is still under warranty of the garage we bought it from (not mini) she said they can’t do goodwill, she said we can either get the garage we bought it from to use mini or they do it themselves, but she said it’s an extremely difficult repair and lots of stuff could go wrong. Is she correct? Or is the repair relatively simple, it’s just the stripping of interior that is difficult? I’m really annoyed because mini should recall them for this issue, it’s clearly a design fault. I could get a full refund for the car but I honestly love the car, so I don’t want to do that if I can avoid it? It’s a 2016 Mini Cooper Hatch 5 door, not sure of the f type as not well informed with minis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My son has a 2015 cooper S, and has just been told he needs the wiring loom replacing due to water ingress. The original fault it went in with was the keyless entry system stopped working. There is a nice video of the BMW mechanic pointing out the swollen wiring loom due to water!

They have told him it is a 4 day job to repair and the video shows the car already starting to be stripped down.
It is a concern that this is obviously a known issue and not one I had heard about before even though I researched possible faults with the F56 model before he bought it.

Fortunately he bought it last October from a BMW dealer with a 12 month warranty so it ought to be fullycovered. It only had 6K on the clock and was in excellent condition and loads of extras and is a nice car, so it is a real blow to him to find the car has to be stripped down for this major fault and what will it be like when put back together. He is now wondering whether to sell it when the warranty expires as there may be other multi thousand pound faults around the corner.

I can understand why BMW wouldn't want to recall cars as it is an expensive fix but potentially this issue could be fatal if it failed whilst being driven, (on a motorway, windy mountain pass etc.) if key systems like brakes, steering, engine failed.

Certainly anybody outside of warranty ought to be guaranteed a free fix.

How come this hasn't made into the national press?

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
It is a big job-but a jigsaw puzzle-people who have had it done seem happy with the result however-since all the bits go in after the loom ie they spread the loom into the empty shell it is a dash/seats trim and carpet etc out job -doable but labour intensive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Hope someone can help me with some advice. Mini One has a similar problem needs a new wiring loom due to water damage etc, confirmed by BMW as a Manufacturing fault but as my 4 year old mini (done less then 7k miles) warranty has just run out, they want me to pay 20% of the labour costs which is about £1000.

Is this fair? Surely a design fault should be fixed 100% by BMW? They’ve agreed to fix everything else so seems strange I need to pay 20%?

Ive been told that BMW might try this and recoup some of the loss?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, we have also had similar problems with our 2015 Min Cooper. In this case it was the Parking Distance Control (bumper radar) that suddenly became intermittent, showing a fault and then working again in quick succession. After a few days it failed totally and showed the message PDC failure - External Interference. To cut to the chase, after having to approve circa £600 of investigation work we've been told by the Mini Dealer, (Berry Chiswick) that it needs a new wiring loom costing circa £3500 because most of the interior has to be stripped out to fit it. The car is immaculate by the way, fully serviced by Mini and has done only 17,000 miles and has not been involved in any bumps of any nature. The dealer applied to BMW who have offered to pay 100% of the part costs and 80% of the work, because it's out of warranty. So our total total bill including the intial investigation was £1300. To say we are angry is an understatement. Surely it is reasonable to assume that such a fundamental part of the car should last longer than 4.5 years but BMW will not accept that it's a manufacturing fault so we're stuck with having to pay. £600 of the bill was simply to discover that they couldn't fix it without a new wiring loom. Speaking to BMW was like talking to a speak your weight machine; they were not willing to listen to any appeal and said they weren't going to change the result of the "process" which resulted in their "good will" offer. The make matters worse our car has now been returned after 3 weeks and there is damage to some interior panels and a cut in the upholstery on the side of the rear seat, presumably from manoeuvering the seats in and out. As you might imagine we are talking to them about sorting this out but overall this is completely unacceptable in our view. Judging by the number of similar problems shown on this site alone it appears there is a manfacturing fault and they should own up to it instead of leaving customers with a significant bill and in our case also having our car interior damaged.

Update 19 March 2020
After a great deal of complaining and many emails BMW did controbute a further £300 to the overall cost which meant we've now paid £1k to rectirfy this. Personally we still think that's a lot for something which should never have failed but it's better than it was. Berry Chiswick have also agreed to replace the damaged interior panels and ripped rear seat, again after a lot of complaining but in fairness to them they have now taken this seriously and resolved it. Overall it was a pretty dispiriting experience which is a shame because it is a really excellent car in general.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just been told of the same problem: on a 2015 Mini One:

Took in for faults that had developed over a few months, showing as:

• erratic wiper operation - including wiperss running when ignition off
  • "pedestrian system fault"
  • "parking light fault"
  • "headlamp control failure"
Dealer says water in headlamp wiring harness and needs part of the wiring harness replaced - at enormous cost.

If this is a recognised design fault and the car has been serviced through the Mini dealership surely Mini have a major responsibility?

Has anyone had any further 'joy' from Mini?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just been told of the same problem: on a 2015 Mini One:

Took in for faults that had developed over a few months, showing as:

• erratic wiper operation - including wiperss running when ignition off
  • "pedestrian system fault"
  • "parking light fault"
  • "headlamp control failure"
Dealer says water in headlamp wiring harness and needs part of the wiring harness replaced - at enormous cost.

If this is a recognised design fault and the car has been serviced through the Mini dealership surely Mini have a major responsibility?

Has anyone had any further 'joy' from Mini?
Hi Ruth, please see the 19th March update I've added to our entry. The best approach is to be polite, factual and tenacious. If you're not getting the right help from the person you're talking to in your dealership, find out who their boss is and talk to them and keep going up the chain until they take you seriously. From what I've read BMW tend to pay for this fault provided you havent damaged the car or done anything to cause it but they'll only pay 80% of the labour. So you'll end up with a bill of some sort. We paid £1k but you may well do better than that. The key thing is not to let your garage charge you too much in preliminary investiagtions because BMW won't help with those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ruth, please see the 19th March update I've added to our entry. The best approach is to be polite, factual and tenacious. If you're not getting the right help from the person you're talking to in your dealership, find out who their boss is and talk to them and keep going up the chain until they take you seriously. From what I've read BMW tend to pay for this fault provided you havent damaged the car or done anything to cause it but they'll only pay 80% of the labour. So you'll end up with a bill of some sort. We paid £1k but you may well do better than that. The key thing is not to let your garage charge you too much in preliminary investiagtions because BMW won't help with those.
Thanks for your advice.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts