Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building in another month and having trouble deciding between the F55 and F56! When I walking into the MINI dealership I was convinced on the F55, due to boot space and the extra two doors. When seeing both side by side at the dealers, I couldn't help but be drawn to the three door looks, since it looks classic and just, well, Mini!

I took a test drive and the only manual they had was in a 3 door. I was pleasantly surprised by the space inside, and how open and roomy it felt. My dilemma is do I use my head and go with the F55, which I don't like as much look wise, or go with me heart and go down to the three door.

Has anyone found the smaller boot space limiting in day to day things, or wished they'd gone for the 5 door model? And is the handling a lot different in the 5 door to the 3 door, since I liked the nimbleness of the 3 door around sharp twisty turns :)

Thank you, and sorry for multiple threads :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Me and my mother in law picked our new MINIs exactly one year ago. I went for the good old 3 door where as my mother in law went for the 5 door. I see her car quite regularly and not once I have regretted buying the 3 door. Long doors, frameless windows, over all proportions to name a few name on F56. Yes, the boot is little bigger on F55 however we took F56 for a week to Monte Carlo (boot full of stuff and a cool box) and we had no issues at all. Yes, 5 doors can come in handy some times however the space back there is not what I call comfortable for 6 footers. If I was you and would be taking not more than 2 people around then no brainer it has to be F56.

Keep us posted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's obviously personal opinions and I fully understand the practicality side of things but personally I can't stand the look of the 5 door. To me it totally changes the look of the car to something it shouldn't be. In my mind it just looks odd. I have no doubt though that it will still be a great car to drive and if the practicality side is really important to you then the 5 would be the way to go.

It is a bit of a struggle in the 3 to get someone in and out of the back. Would be OK if they're 5 year olds but forget it if they're on the large side or oaps. I cope ok because I have a big estate car if need the room.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The rear 3/4 view of the 5 door just looks odd and the overall proportions of lower spec ones are wrong! The boot is slightly bigger but for everyday usage the 3 door boot is fine. I would suggest you get the storage pack though as that allows the back seats to be secured in a more upright position allowing for boxes or cases etc.
We often go out in the JCW with 2 adults, 2 kids and my basset hound in the boot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The rear 3/4 view of the 5 door just looks odd and the overall proportions of lower spec ones are wrong! The boot is slightly bigger but for everyday usage the 3 door boot is fine. I would suggest you get the storage pack though as that allows the back seats to be secured in a more upright position allowing for boxes or cases etc.
We often go out in the JCW with 2 adults, 2 kids and my basset hound in the boot.
Sounds like I should have gone for the storage pack although still doubt my German Shepherd would fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is actually such a hard choice, since this probably the most I'll ever spend on the car. The big pro of the three door is that since its cheaper, I can order in the Mini Yours Leather Lounge seats which I'm in love with after the test drive. I guess its back to the dealers to sit in the back of the three door to check out the space.

I generally only drive my parents around, so one in the back. I've rarely had 4 in the car, only once or twice since I got mine in 2012. But every one is saying I'll regret the 3 door, and I'm so conflicted.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I am with Buz on the 4 Door Mini. The F55 is just not my cup of tea because the car just does not look right too me and if you think about it the only advantage of the 2 extra doors is easy access to the rear seat. I would go for the 2 Door and add the options you really like. 4 Doors look good on a Dauphine but not on a Mini.....Sorry F55 Owners :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I generally only drive my parents around, so one in the back. I've rarely had 4 in the car, only once or twice since I got mine in 2012.
For me, it's the F55 entirely about ease of access to the back seat and passenger comfort. The big thing for me was that the back windows don't open on a F56, which can seriously compromise how comfortable the back seats are for passengers. As someone who gets claustrophobic, I can't ride in the back of an F56 for more than 2-3 minutes without feeling anxious. I could handle no doors if the rear windows opened.

Also, I have a dog who isn't allowed in the front seats. I don't want to have to move the seat every time he gets in/out, and he *really* enjoys hanging his head out the window. I couldn't deprive him of enjoying car rides.

F56 is a great single person / couple car. It's absolutely a pain in the ass for passengers in the back seat. How much of a pain in the ass depends on your circumstances. Best I've heard it described as being "really not that much of a problem" for back seat passenger access. I know my personality well, and this would definitely grate on me over time.

F55 is absolutely a design compromise. There is something that just doesn't look as good about it from the rear 3/4 view. But for me the design compromise is worth it for the ease of use of the back seat, since I use the back seat 95% of my trips. I take transit to work so I usually only drive for fun or errands, and most of the time the dog comes with. There is no way I could make an F56 work for me. I can happily use an F55.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
For me the front door is too small on the F55. I'm 6'4" and when I have the seat adjusted for me the B pillar is right beside my shoulder. Makes it hard for me to get in and out of the car. I had a F55 for a loaner for 10 days when they replaced my engine, and I couldn't return it soon enough. I don't care for the looks of the frame around the windows either. Just my opinion. YMMV

·
Registered
998 Posts
I only sat in a 5 door in the showroom briefly but i was surprised at how tight the entry into the drivers seat was, and I'm not big by any means. That and the poor design of the window frames put me off it. I've never found the boot space a problem, if you're worried about this you're really looking at the wrong car

·
Registered
56 Posts
All cars are a compromise . All of us probably have a different requirement from a car. If you have a number of cars then it changes the required parameters.
Personally I have 2 other cars that are sports cars so a F55s is perfect and it's amazing how much stuff you can get in the back with the seats down.
If I had elderly relatives that often need a lift then a F55 is a no brainier where as if you are 6' 5" and single then perhaps a 3 door for looks maybe the answer.

The F55s is a fast comfortable car and a good place to be.
If I was in my twenties though I may think differently.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Personally I see the F55 as an abomination - from dead front or dead rear it looks like a Mini. Then you move around and ewww no. The extra doors - were they a useable shape - might just about be acceptable. But they're not, a very narrow shape which makes getting in and out the back an odd shuffle to align bottom to seat and feet into the narrow foot well.

But the worst bit is what it does to the side profile. The F56 looks natural - an evolution of that Mini shape that generations have grown up with. Whats more, the doors are frameless which not only looks epic but is practical in that in narrow spaces I find I can drop the windows, open the door a crack and climb through. Not an option on the F55 where not only are the front windows framed but the rears are square. Very very odd and once seen it can't be unseen.

I don't see the F56 as impractical - its a 3 door car, butt once you are in the back there is a decent amount of room. If you need room and regular easy access to the rear then have you considered a Clubman?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
To parrot what has mostly already been said and probably to chuck some cognitive bias in, I much prefer the 3 door. For me, as the wife and I are DINKs (look it up), we don't have any shorties to worry about, nor do we ferry around people often, nor large things. So that means the back seats are largely to hold our coats and some bags.

I too also sat in and played around with a 5 door at the dealers and found both the drivers and passenger doors to small. This meant, even as a driver, getting in/out harder. You ain't gonna do no suave maneuver to get out of a 5 door. Plus the rear passenger door aperture is too small. If the drivers seat is too far back and with that door opening, getting in is difficult and out can be murder (or ankle snapping).

As for the boot, yep, bigger in the 5 door but for us, the point was...meh. You can work around it in the 3 door. Move the rear seats bolt upright, drop the floor down, or fold them down. Plenty of room for us.

But honestly, that's all the rational stuff. The 3 door just looks proper and I made my mind up before any of that other stuff I've just said :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me the front door is too small on the F55. I'm 6'4" and when I have the seat adjusted for me the B pillar is right beside my shoulder. Makes it hard for me to get in and out of the car.
This. I am not tall (5'7") with relatively shorter legs but still the B-pillar is right next to my left shoulder (my seat is adjusted to the cluth). It does not affect me but anyone taller/ with longer legs would sit possibly BEHIND the B-pillar.

That is something potential buyers should check out.

I love my F55>:D>:D

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
This. I am not tall (5'7") with relatively shorter legs but still the B-pillar is right next to my left shoulder (my seat is adjusted to the cluth). It does not affect me but anyone taller/ with longer legs would sit possibly BEHIND the B-pillar.

That is something potential buyers should check out.

I love my F55>:D>:D
That was my problem. I beat myself up on the B pillar every time I got in or out of the car. You figure they made the F55 only about a foot longer than the F56, and then added two more doors. They had to make up the difference somewhere. Hence, the four tiny doors and the bad ergonomics.
There are those that like them and more power to them, but it's just not for me.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
DustFlight181 just wondering if you got your answer? It reads as though it's a very narrow win for the F56 by only 99%.

I have a F56 and a young family and we fit in the F56 comfortably enough. Once the car seats go, there will be more room in the back for the kids so looking forward to this.
The decision will be yours but the majority here support the F56 over the F55.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked the F55 because of ease access to pick up and drop off my kids.
Its spacious enough where my kids can get in and out on their own.

One evening when I decided to start a new hobby and picked up a 55gallon aquarium tank.
The tank fit in my F55. Surprise!
Life is full of surprises and even if I didn't had kids, I'll still pick the F55 for its superior form fit function (FFF).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.