Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As someone who previously changed cars on a regular basis, it speaks volumes for our little F54 that it's still around after just over 5 years. It's a second car so the mileage is low (30k), but even so nothing has fallen off and it's not missed a beat. The only issue was the rebooting central display one, fixed without fuss and at low cost by the BMW/MINI indie I've used since the warranty expired.
Best bits: practical size, peach of an engine, comfort access, sport mode, heated seats.
Minor grumbles: tyre noise (my fault for not replacing the runflats with normal tyres when swapping), springy gearshift.
Still love its eager nature and its fuel economy over a distance. Oh and the VO paint!!
I think it'll be around for a bit longer.
So if you're thinking of buying a Clubbie, I'd say they're a good bet.
PS - this forum remains a significant part of the MINI ownership fun too. Thanks Jeremy and all the other positive contributors. (y)

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
That was nice Volcanic; and you for all your great posts and insight. Long may you keep your Mini; still wish we'd got our Clubby regularly even though I love the SE! For me it was the perfect incarnation of the Mini and the best looking too!

·
Registered
223 Posts
@VolcanicF54 Great to hear everything is still running smooth with your Clubbie. We're currently on our third Mini with an Countryman ALL4 Diesel which is 44 months old and we got from new. It's got 54k on the clock and it's been an absolute belter of a car. Like your Clubbie we have heated seats, sports mode, comfort access etc and it's been (touch wood) a very reliable motor. The only issue we had was a snapped serpentine belt which was caused by a pulley issue. All sorted within a couple of days under warranty and we had a courtesy car whilst it was being sorted.

The Autobox is very smooth. The runflats don't bother us as we had runflats for many years on our Mini's and BMW's. Also it's a great size for holidays luggage, shopping trips and for getting timber up to 2.4metres in the back when doing DIY jobs :)

It's been very well looked after and will make a great second hand car when it finally goes to a new home when and if our new Countryman arrives later this year 🤞

I'm an newbie on the forum and so pleased I found it and have been able to contribute in a small way. So I echo your comments on thanking everyone involved in setting up this forum, moderating it and contributing to it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
In a similar position, in fact next month the 5 year loan I took out to buy the F54 will be paid off and I will own it outright (the first car I have ever owned all of). Has had a new battery and run-flats were replaced. It's now getting to 33,000 miles on the clock and just had a rear coil spring replaced after it snapping going over an unmarked ramp in roadworks at 9mph. Very good ownership experience and each time I look at other cars nothing compares for smiles per mile

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have been fortunate enough to have owned 2 x F56 MINIs, an Cooper S and then a JCW.
Then moved to an F54 Cooper S Clubman and once again onto an F54 JCW Clubman.
My last MINI was an F60 Cooper S Countryman.
Out of all my MINIs the Clubman was by far the best car, I believe it is the best model MINI currrently makes and is sadly underrated and overlooked.
My only gripe is those God awful barn doors, just put a normal hatch on please MINI!

I have now moved to an i3 as the 100 mile range on the MINI SE is so poor, I had promised myself that I would make the leap into the future to electric on my next car so the i3 fitted my needs better.

Would I have an electric MiNI Clubman?
Short answer - In a heartbeat if the car was available and had an average range of 200 miles ….

="VolcanicF54, post: 874834, member: 51498"]
As someone who previously changed cars on a regular basis, it speaks volumes for our little F54 that it's still around after just over 5 years. It's a second car so the mileage is low (30k), but even so nothing has fallen off and it's not missed a beat. The only issue was the rebooting central display one, fixed without fuss and at low cost by the BMW/MINI indie I've used since the warranty expired.
Best bits: practical size, peach of an engine, comfort access, sport mode, heated seats.
Minor grumbles: tyre noise (my fault for not replacing the runflats with normal tyres when swapping), springy gearshift.
Still love its eager nature and its fuel economy over a distance. Oh and the VO paint!!
I think it'll be around for a bit longer.
So if you're thinking of buying a Clubbie, I'd say they're a good bet.
PS - this forum remains a significant part of the MINI ownership fun too. Thanks Jeremy and all the other positive contributors. (y)
[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
I'm with you re the electric Clubman; it would be our go to! Same motor as the SE bigger battery would do me; wouldn't mind sacrificing a tiny bit of performance though am sure the current drive train could have been tweeked. Sad it hasn't sold enough to continue production and be developed further in this way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes I too believe the Clubman is the best and I also agree there should be an electric one, even a hybrid like the Countryman. One thing I disagree on is the barn doors. They are the best thing. I do a lot of canoeing and kayaking and it’s great to have a car that I can get in and out of the boot without worrying about the boot door hitting what I have on the roof. My last MINI was a 5 door and while it was a great car the hatch getting damaged when hitting what I had on the roof was a constant worry. It’s also a shame that this could be the last Clubman generation.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As with most things barn doors have pros and cons. Do not cover your head in wet weather but do stop things blowing around the boot so much in windy weather as you only have to expose half the boot aperture to the elements when putting things in and out. Also feels like they protect you in supermarket car parks when you are loading things.

Then when you look at how other manufacturers try to design a six door car you see why Mini have done such a good job

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes I too believe the Clubman is the best and I also agree there should be an electric one, even a hybrid like the Countryman. One thing I disagree on is the barn doors. They are the best thing. I do a lot of canoeing and kayaking and it’s great to have a car that I can get in and out of the boot without worrying about the boot door hitting what I have on the roof. My last MINI was a 5 door and while it was a great car the hatch getting damaged when hitting what I had on the roof was a constant worry. It’s also a shame that this could be the last Clubman generation.
Try opening those barn doors when a car parks behind you in a car park.
It also prohibits reverse parking against any wall, rail, etc. I prefer this position so I can just drive away without delay, probably formed this habit as every parking space at work is against a brick wall.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do agree it is a bit of an issue. I have just learned to use my parking sensors and leave enough room for the doors when reversing into spaces. As far as when somebody parks behind you - yep I will wholeheartedly agree on that one. I have definitely had to move my car just to get into the boot before. It’s an issue that I am happy to live with as the doors suit me much better for when I am using it for canoeing.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts