Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2015 cooper 6 spd manual, 3 cylinder. I noticed that at Rpms above 2.5k or so, I feel vibrations in the clutch pedal when pressing it in to change gears. It's nothing crazy, but it is noticeable. Engagement is super smooth and gears change perfectly, just wanted to make sure this vibration is the norm. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the clutch .if my toe touches the steering column I can feel the buzz of the power steering motor or the feedback from the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, it's the clutch, as I press it down it will feel some vibration through the pedal. The Vibration correlates with engine speed.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
When I go out tomorrow I will take a conscious feel of it ! Let you know but I've never noticed it. 8 months and 5000 miles in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So driving to work today I took the car to 4.5k Rpms, (still in break-in ) period. When shifting from first to second and second to third (not fast shifts) , the vibration in the clutch pedal was definitely present. Gear change and engagement was great, just some vibration in the pedal. If I have some time tomorrow I will go to the dealer and drive another 3 cylinder 6spd. I hope this is the norm and no issues with the throwout bearing or pressure plate.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Sorry nice weather so been on the motorbike-now there's vibration for you ( 990cc ktm twin!). i will be in the car tomorrow so will report but i really havent noticed any at all-smooth as you like although i've not been consciously feeling for it!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Since my Cooper was new 8000miles ago I have always had a light "chatter" or buzz from the gearlever when accelerating firmly in 3rd gear. If you hold the gear lever the buzz stops but you can feel hefty vibrations going on, which must be transmitted down the gear change cables.

They had a fiddle around but found nothing wrong, but they can have another go when it is time for the first service.

The clutch pedal may also be prone to relaying some of these vibrations, though being hydraulic there is no mechanical link like a cable to transmit the vibrations, other than, as you suggest, a damaged release bearing which would cause vibrations to be sent through the fluid from slave cylinder to master cylinder, and then to the pedal.

Not very likely though, I would think?

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Well thrashed the --------------out of poor old Jasper last night on the way home-got the mpg down from 46 to 44 in a 20 mile trip with only 3 lego bricks left on the tank display!! ie the average wasnt easy to get down !

AND nope-no clutch pedal vibrations at any revs really although you can sort of feel the engine growling through the whole car and slightly via the gear lever-absolutley wonderful drive and enjoyed every minute of being a total hooligan-stayed behind nothing (totally safely and sticking rigidlyto the speed limits of course sir!).

Only thing i felt was a slight increase in resistance to go into gear in 3/4 when maxed out around 6500 revs, but only slight -may have been me not pressing the clutch quite in my haste for a quick change.

Compared to my cooper s r56, so much more refined at the same speed! ammazing car amazing engine!

Only suggestion is to go and drive a demo of the same engine and compare to yours. sorry to be not much help! J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeremy, based on your picture, I take it you have a cooper S, I bet the 4 cylinder is smoother than my 3. Drove another 3 banger at the dealer, it felt like my car, so I take it that it just vibrates a little more, or I wear thin shoes!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Jeremy has a Cooper, as he will probably confirm shortly!

As I do, and I have not noticed any intrusive vibrations in my car, apart from the previously mention brief gear lever buzz in 3rd gear.
The clutch pedal does not vibrate.

My last 3 new cars have been 3 cylinder and none have vibrated any more than my old 4 cylinder MG does.

The only difference is the great sound when using the engines power, I wouldn't want to lose that!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeremy has a Cooper, as he will probably confirm shortly!

As I do, and I have not noticed any intrusive vibrations in my car, apart from the previously mention brief gear lever buzz in 3rd gear.
The clutch pedal does not vibrate.

My last 3 new cars have been 3 cylinder and none have vibrated any more than my old 4 cylinder MG does.

The only difference is the great sound when using the engines power, I wouldn't want to lose that!
When you say the clutch pedal does not vibrate......do you mean zero vibration or just minimal. To eliminate shifting differences....with your car parked and in neutral....if you rev it to about 4k and exercise the clutch in and out multiple times slowly you feel no vibration at all?? I feel some vibration as the clutch crosses mid travel, like a tingling on my foot.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Totally agree.with jonan and yes it's the Cooper. As you can tell I'm totally in love with it! And in terms of smoothness he's.right. it's different in. A Porsche way.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
're your post will try this tomorrow. In the meantime my advice would be don't over think things. It's a different engine feel. I had a 3,cylinder motorbike which is why I bought this car. Perfect blend of great noise torque and refinement.And don't panic. You've a 3 year warranty. My golf r32 was (v6)the only car that has been really genuinely smoother .far too easy to hit the rev limiter but no four cylinder I've had has ever been so characterful or gutsy I love this engine which is why I didn't buy the s. My fiat barchetta 16 v and Mazda 323f 1.8 gt were turbine smooth (4cyls) but not this characterful although the fiat runs it close with a sports exhaust.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When you say the clutch pedal does not vibrate......do you mean zero vibration or just minimal. To eliminate shifting differences....with your car parked and in neutral....if you rev it to about 4k and exercise the clutch in and out multiple times slowly you feel no vibration at all?? I feel some vibration as the clutch crosses mid travel, like a tingling on my foot.
I don't notice any vibration, but maybe my aged nerve endings have become numb to such things.
If in doubt, I have found my dealer will have a look-see if I report something I am not happy with. Even if nothing is found at least it has been registered that I am reporting a possible fault.
If you report the vibration and they say it seems OK, then the release bearing packs up, then your concern would be vindicated.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Stationary revved to 4500 rpm yes there's definitely a slight fizz via the clutch pedal but in fact I think the whole car. Ready to go! Feels Alive

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anthony,

My Cooper 1.5 has got the same problem with the clutch, the pedal vibrates from 3000 rpm and higher.
I went to the dealership (in the Netherlands) but they don't have the solution to fix this.
Is your car already fixed?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a F54 Cooper S and feel teh same vibrance in the clutch,
it's when changing gears and you press the gass pedal.

Then you feel when the clutch pedal is almost on top the vibration, when you increase the RPM the vibration is felt a bit more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts