Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Today I took my car to the garage as I have been experiencing over the past week a knocking noise when I turned my car on from cold.

When starting from cold turning the engine on there was a knocking noise, it got worse when the clutch was pressed down. As soon as the engine had warmed the noise was either hardly noticeable or went away completely. Last night however it was ridiculously loud so much so that I decided to take it to the garage this morning. There were also no faults showing on my car and the oil level also showed as being okay.

Turns out after mini having it for less than half a day they diagnosed my car with internal engine failure. Not sure what exactly went wrong... Hopefully I will find out more soon but they have said they will be replacing the engine and I should have it back by Thursday. Not bad at all...

As my car is just over a year old I was 1) slightly shocked at the news that I needed a new engine mainly because I have only reached about 16-17,000 miles on the clock and 2) relieved as I didn't drive it to work this morning as I could have ended up stranded. I am also slightly apprehensive as although having my car back in 2 days is great an engine isn't exactly a simple thing to get hold of and replace which has me wondering if anyone else has been experiencing these issues??

I wanted to share my expeiance- I haven't heard of any f56 minis with this issues so far- I know there were a few issues a couple of years back with cold starts and mini ended up replacing a lot of engines- I hope mine is a one off though and no one else has this issue.

Fingers crossed I will have my car back asap and this engine is better. I love my car- only problem is the train to work isn't as fun!

· Registered
159 Posts
If the clutch operation made the noise more noticeable, it possibly is a 'bottom end' issue with your car. Of course any further info will be helpful to others with a three-pot engine, so please see what you can find out. However if it is an isolated failure there should be nothing too much to worry about.

Hopefully you will be back on the road soon and all should be good!

Is it a Petrol or Diesel, MINI One?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Quick update. I got my car back today, mini were fantastic at looking at my car considering I dropped it off on Tuesday and they had a full garage they sorted it all really quick. They ended up having to replace the engine.

As for what was wrong with it... they still didn't tell me what exactly was wrong- all I know is that it was an isolated engine problem (same line as before)- the lady that was dealing with me didn't know any more but she did say that mini have recalled a few coopers and have a flag on their system for a few other batches of cars- they weren't recalling these ones but if a car came in with a problem the lady told us that they replacing engines if needed. She also said 6/10 of the cars they have had in needed the replacement engine.

Considering how fast I had a replacement engine and the information it seems mini know there is some sort of problem with a few batches of cars- as for if they understand fully what that issue is- I'm not sure but I think they will be sending my old one back to the factory for further inspection.

Hopefully I won't have to see the garage again for a while- well until I need a service! I am more than happy with everything- as I said getting all of it sorted took 2 days and I got my car back all shiny and clean. :)

· Registered
1 Posts
US based 2015 Mini Cooper S 2 door hardtop...14K miles...was having iphone click & drive installed...dealer calls me says they heard a knocking noise, and after further inspection found the "worn rod bearing" "metal shavings in oil pan etc" and that Mini has instructed dealership to replace the engine. Its Monday, engine should be here Wednesday, car should be ready for pick up Friday......Really? Replace the engine? wow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.