Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Together with the Orange Volcanic Cooper S version, I ordered the JCW exhaust and ECU. The dealer called this morning; parts are ready!

But here is the trick: from different videos I watched here and there, I noticed that some people mention there is a specific BlueTooth remote control that triggers the famous WOW effect from the exhaust. (looks a little bit aftermarket to me...)

When asked, the dealer mechanic also mentioned the so called remote control.
But, there is the lovely "Sport" button/mode that already activates some magic in the Cooper S exhaust. SO why not using this (already fitted) button? He could not tell me.

So let's see next Tuesday if they provide me with a BT remote control that I will (for sure) lose somewhere within the next days.

So I am happy and worried.
Strange feeling.

Je suis
MINI

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That would be cool if they could somehow tie in the JCW exhaust with the sport mode settings, unfortunately it's just not possible (or at least not without making the exhaust much more complicated - ie: it would have to connect to the MINI's computer somehow)

Currently, the SPORT mode will put a bit of unburned fuel into the exhaust manifold, causing the beloved S "pop and burble".

How the JCW exhaust goes from normal to beastly is the remote will open up a valve within the exhaust itself, re-directing the exhaust flow in a way that gives it that sweet sweet growl.

There's pictures on another thread of the remote here: http://www.minif56.com/forum/289-mini-f56-general-discussion/20625-jcw-tuning-kit.html#post202097 - I wonder if there is a way to mount it somewhere on the dash...

·
Registered
307 Posts
That would be cool if they could somehow tie in the JCW exhaust with the sport mode settings, unfortunately it's just not possible (or at least not without making the exhaust much more complicated - ie: it would have to connect to the MINI's computer somehow)

Currently, the SPORT mode will put a bit of unburned fuel into the exhaust manifold, causing the beloved S "pop and burble".

How the JCW exhaust goes from normal to beastly is the remote will open up a valve within the exhaust itself, re-directing the exhaust flow in a way that gives it that sweet sweet growl.

There's pictures on another thread of the remote here: http://www.minif56.com/forum/289-mini-f56-general-discussion/20625-jcw-tuning-kit.html#post202097 - I wonder if there is a way to mount it somewhere on the dash...
It's the same as on the Remus exhaust, there is a remote that when you press a button a valve opens up in the exhaust and all **** breaks loose!!
The Remus is seriously loud when valve is open and in sport mode, the crackles and pops are unreal.. Yet when valve is closed its not intrusive at all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
music to my earholes! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Remember - without the tune an exhaust the sport sound you hear is through the speakers, It is the same from outside. ASD - I disconnected mine. Quiet all the way but you hear the actual engine, I'm ordering the JCW exhaust!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Remember - without the tune an exhaust the sport sound you hear is through the speakers, It is the same from outside. ASD - I disconnected mine. Quiet all the way but you hear the actual engine, I'm ordering the JCW exhaust!
Wrong Wrong Wrong.

My exhaust crackle and pops clearly from the Tail pipe of the exhaust, when in sport mode...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I promise you are wrong. Pull the fuse for the sound system or unplug the ASD. I have done this.
The sound from the ASB sounds incredibly real...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not sure why you're not getting pop and burbles, but Peter is correct. The pop and burble is not tied to ASD and is, in fact, completely physical. Small amounts of unburned fuel are introduced into the hot exhaust manifold while in SPORT mode, causing the pops and burbles.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How can you explain the pops I get when I stand at the rear of the car, coming from the exhaust?
As others have done and posted. I will try and upload a video taken from the rear of my car to show the pops do come from the exhaust and not the speakers.
mind boggling!

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Yes pops are real but there is also a noise amplifier in the cooper s

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes pops are real but there is also a noise amplifier in the cooper s
I am quite confident that if I disconnected this amplified sound speaker, or whatever it is, I would not even notice.

I can honestly say I cannot detect any engine/exhaust noise that comes from an internal speaker..

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sick of people trying to claim the pops and bangs from the exhaust are part of the ASD noise.

Install a Remus exhaust with the racing tube and come back to try to tell me its the ASD!!!! lol.

The BOV noise is also a real world sound and not amplified - get someone to rev your engine while you stand in front of your open engine bay and you can hear for yourself.

Yes the ASD introduces 'engine' noise inside the cabin, but its purely a fake engine noise. It's designed to give the engine a more sporty sound, which is does very well.

Its not for everyone though and I can understand why people want to bypass it - but its not as if without it the car is soundless.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm sick of people trying to claim the pops and bangs from the exhaust are part of the ASD noise.

Install a Remus exhaust with the racing tube and come back to try to tell me its the ASD!!!! lol.

The BOV noise is also a real world sound and not amplified - get someone to rev your engine while you stand in front of your open engine bay and you can hear for yourself.

Yes the ASD introduces 'engine' noise inside the cabin, but its purely a fake engine noise. It's designed to give the engine a more sporty sound, which is does very well.

Its not for everyone though and I can understand why people want to bypass it - but its not as if without it the car is soundless.
R99 well explained and I completely agree:|

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For all those that think the crackles and pops come from underneath the seat. Lol
Even if they do, I don't think I would notice.:D
Remus Cat Back system with straight through race pipe..
This is my 10 year old slightly revving to about 3000rpm, hence me shouting again again!!
Anyway you get the idea.

http://youtu.be/6UFcs294nyg
That's coming from under the seat. Anyone can tell that. Don't try to fool the interwebs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
By the way p- torque uk, have a Remap available, with gains of 30BHP and torque gains of55lbs/ft.
Hoping to get mine booked in second week in Feb.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts