Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know so many horror stories for VW dsg transmission, and always have question marks in my head for dual-clutch reliability. How is your experience so far? Any problems with the 7-DCT in LCI Cooper/ Cooper S?

If I know correctly, Getrag 7 DCT has a creep function like a traditional automatic. This should reduce the stress on the clutch and effect reliability positively if you mostly drive in heavy stop and go traffic.

Anything to be careful about when driving the 7-DCT? Any problems have you faced?

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a post on here somewhere about problems with the shift lever and failure of the Park mechanism leading to big bills.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a post on here somewhere about problems with the shift lever and failure of the Park mechanism leading to big bills.
I cannot understand why they would not update something already working properly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have it for 2 years now, basically since it was introduced to the Mini, Mini Cooper S remapped to 280 hp and 405 Nm, the transmission is officialy rated to 320 Nm, no problems here, can be a bit jerky when cold, it takes a lot until it warms up to operating temperature (75-80 celcius deg.), then it is so smooth. Changed the oil at 40-45k miles, what a difference, even smoother and quieter, amazing downshifting and fast shifting overall. There is a need to change the oil in this transmission, it takes 4.8 Liters of oil. Really bad fluid came out.

When I compare it to the VAG / VW DSGs, they are so bad and this Getrag is so good. I have driven VW Passat with the new 7 speed DSG and I am never driving it again, unresponsive, jerky and lazy. Compared to our BMW/Mini Getrag 7 DCT - this is basically a really good DCT. I can recommend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've only had my Cooper S for a short while and I really like the smooth changing both up and down. It took a little getting used to the park selector rather than a usual auto box. I had a Audi TT and that was problem free but not quite as smooth as the Mini/BMW box and I've also driven a Porsche Boxster, they have reliable gearboxes, you never hear of problems with a Porsche box.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
100 Posts
Only driven mine for 700 odd miles but I concur. The auto box is definitely smooth and seamless, both changing up and down. My only other experiences with autos are 2 x Mercedes and 1 x Hyundai. Definitely prefer the Mini out of the 4. The diesel Mercedes shifts quickly but you can tell when it’s changing gears. Less noticeable in the petrol Mercedes but still there - likely due to the small engine it’s linked to.

Top marks for the Mini from me.

·
Registered
2020 Copper
1 Posts
I've owned many cars with DCT and the Mini is by far the best. I'm not one to creep at red lights because I know it creates friction and is not for DCT.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Already driven for 1 1/2 years with Stg1 tune. No problem and smooth shifts. And the shift logic is very good, the car is always at the right gear based on your driving style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So many positive feedback. Very happy to hear. When I drove the Justa with DCT, it was very smooth. In that small engine it also lets you take best outcome. The question on my head was mostly reliability, but apparently, this is way more better build quality gear then some of the other cars in the market with dual-clutches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts