Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes... nine weeks of toe-curling, stomach-churning and wall-chewing childish impatience is nearly up as all going well this coming Wednesday/Thursday I shall be picking up my new Thunder Grey Cooper S, with about as many options as seems to be customary for those who are weak and click-happy when confronted with a list.

I cannot wait.

This forum has already proved immeasurably valuable and my car hasn't even arrived at the dealership yet!

Reactions: bjblyth

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thunder Grey
Cloth/leather Diamond Carbon Black
Media Pack XL
CHILI Pack
Variable Damper Control
Electric Folding Exterior Mirrors
JCW roof spoiler
Chrome line interior
Roof and mirror caps in black
Darkened rear glass
Auto dimming exterior mirrors and rear view mirror
Front centre armrest
Seat heating for driver and front passenger
Anthracite headlining
Colour line Glowing Red
Rear PDC
JCW steering wheel.

I've only gone for the 17" Tentacles as the roads round here are shafted and I had to replace a cracked alloy on my R56 and I'm not taking any chances! I don't think the 17s look that bad, but since the Cup Spoke (which look smashing) are only available as 18 RFs, it's an absolute no-go - I'm getting it to drive more than look at...!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Peterg

I started off with Blazing Red, but didn't feel like it worked with the Tentacle Wheels with the black roof, for some reason. Love the colour but just wouldn't work. Then I went for the full on MIdnight Black, but had to drive to Doncaster to see one in the flesh on Tentacles, and I didn't like it - side on I felt a few of the styling cues of the Cooper S got lost. I don't know - couldn't put my finger on it. Still very nice. Then I started warming to Thunder Grey, and then the dealer pointed out to me it wasn't on anything below a Cooper S so I'm ashamed to say I let that extra dash of exclusivity sway me! I would have had White Silver, but my neighbour has that on a Cooper D, and although their drive is round the corner from me, it would smack of copying!

I'm still not sure about it as a colour, to be honest as it seems to be quite variable to different light conditions. As someone who typically only gets their car washed when it's serviced, I might have to get this one done more regularly as I think it looks a lot better when clean!

Still, right or wrong choice... I'm stuck with it now for three years!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Davy

I swore blind that at pushing 40 I wouldn't get this excited... But I am.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What dealer did you buy from Peterg? I'm in Cheshire too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Herr vents
Thunder grey was my third choice. Initially was chilli red, but looked a bit normal. Then liked Moonwalk grey, but had to wait for factory order. So ended up with Thunder Grey as it was available immediately.
The best deal I got was from Bowkers mini. Blackburn, after trying Halliwell Jones and Williams. Bowker gave me the best deal, but handover was shocking. Won't bore you with details, as its been posted earlier. All sorted now after emails and telephone calls to BMW/Mini Uk.
which dealer are you getting yours from?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Got mine from Halliwell Jones in Wilmslow. Were superb throughout purchase but have completely ignored my aftersales grumbles!!!

The car is wonderful it's just the paint I'm disappointed with (another story).

Hopefully your dealer has been great thus far and that you have no issues with which to test their aftersales service!

Spec sounds amazing, enjoy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peterg

Halliwell-Jones Warrington. Chucked it at what I perceived to be the lead dealership from 4 or 5 chains and took the best price. I was going to start playing them off against one another, but I got such a good price from HJW, no-one else would go near it. I'll fill in all the dirty details in due course as it might be helpful for anyone buying. All quite entertaining.

I'll have a look at your handover situation - fore-warned is fore-armed and all that!

Reactions: Peterg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BJ and Peter

It's the old adage that once your name is on the dotted line, you're old news. They've got your deposit - you're not going anywhere... They move on to the next mug.

Had that treatment at every price point with the last seven cars I've bought from franchise dealers from a £4,000 used Volvo to a £40,000 X5 and everything in between. Never bloody changes...! Three of the eight were what I'd consider to be expensive BMWs, two were well specced up used Minis which were obviously far dearer than anything that size anyone else made, but relatively small beer.

The only exception was Royles of Wilmslow on a problematic Jag 14 years ago who couldn't have been consistently more helpful. Now they've got decent cars and don't have to make up the difference, maybe they're gits like the rest though!

But I have good memories of them as an outfit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Her vents.
I actually think its what mood the sales manager is in on that day, I think its quite comical.
I rang Halliwell Jones Warrington having bought a z4 from them that I wanted to px for a jcw..
Salesman was useless, never returned calls, so I went to Hallowell Jones Chester. Great guy and asked for the absolute best deal, he gave me all the figures etc, took pictures of my z4 etc. He rang me a couple of days later and nearly signed up, but I thought lets just try a different francise. Next closest was Bowker Blackburn, over the phone they gave me a better specced car, higher px value, for less money. So was a no brainer, I went with Bowker.
But handover was shocking.......

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it was Bowker Preston where I took a 535d out with on a test drive eight or so years back and I nearly got done for speeding when he was telling me to boot it!

Turned out it was just a Highways Agency vehicle but I nearly caused some seat damage!

Exactly Peter, I think it's just what they've sold that month, how close someone is to their target, how close the dealer is to their target, and if they've mugged someone with a vast margin that they can fritter in your direction. You've got to do a bit of legwork (or phone work) and if it saves you £500 or a grand then it's not a lot of effort really.

It always makes me laugh when you're out there genuinely looking to buy a car and people don't get back to you - I think to myself how lucky they are to have so many other people buying motors that they can't get back to me...

It's always nice letting them know you bought from elsewhere when they eventually get back to you and them knowing they let one get away.

Reactions: Peterg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes... nine weeks of toe-curling, stomach-churning and wall-chewing childish impatience is nearly up as all going well this coming Wednesday/Thursday I shall be picking up my new Thunder Grey Cooper S, with about as many options as seems to be customary for those who are weak and click-happy when confronted with a list.

I cannot wait.

This forum has already proved immeasurably valuable and my car hasn't even arrived at the dealership yet!
Lol yep I hear you buddy. It's unbelievable how childish I've became since ordering the cooper SD. Have to wait until May 16th for delivery. It's agonising. Spending my time scouring the corners of the internet looking for any wee tit bit I can find on this car, looking at every mini I see and comparing it and wondering if I've got the right color, the right accessories or the right wheels. Should I have gone for the cooper s instead of the SD. It's truly pathetic and pathological. But great fun!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I picked the wee beastie up on Wednesday afternoon.

All excellently done by Halliwell Jones of Warrington and my sales guy Nick who has now moved to the BMW side... I got there a bit earlier than planned and couldn't see the car anyway, which was disappointing. We sat down to tidy a few bits of obligatory paperwork up, and he says "I bet you're wondering where your car is, aren't you" with a wry smile on his face.

And then I got taken into a room with starred walls, a tiled floor and a curtain behind separating it from the rest of the dealership, some groovy lighting and disco lights from the ceiling! On the one hand, camp as Christmas for your man of very nearly 40. On the other hand, I loved it!

Ahead of the car, the doors opened and I could drive the car out into their car park. The only available space was against my R56. Nick got in and turned it round so I could get a little comparison shot of them next to one another.

Smashing handover - I really liked it.

As for the motor. I haven't had my doors blown off by it (so to speak), but purely because I drove enough of them prior to making my decision, so I don't have any surprises. That said, mine is just how I wanted it and looks gorgeous in the flesh inside. I'm just extremely content and very happy. The local potholes now no longer seem to exist in comparison to my R56 Cooper S, and the Variable Damper Control makes it all a bit better I suppose too.

I had a fair few questions, but I've sorted most out myself by looking on here and a few other resources if I couldn't find it here... However, on my R56 Nav system, there was a "Stopwatch" feature, and I remember that was on my 535d and 330d as well when they had the same basic system. Does that no longer exist anywhere?

And as for the popping and burbling on the over-run... Obviously that's a thing of beauty, and easy to generate when stationary - how much of it do you get on the move though? I am not generating any. Maybe I'm not giving the loud pedal enough grief!

I have also had a warning twice saying something like "vehicle can only be started in neutral - please contact your dealer if the problem persists", but it's in neutral anyway... And why would that be indicative of a problem?

It's just very hard not to be impressed by it, perhaps more so if you had an R56. Absolute step change in build quality and feel and driving and owning it thus far is an absolute pleasure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Herr vents
Sounds like a cracking handover, just how it should be when spending that kind of money.. Congratulations.
Pops n burbles should be noticeable when driving, I presume your in Sport mode?? And only when warmed up..
1. I have the manual, but not noticed the warning ' car can only be started in neutral'
2. I don't have a stopwatch in the central or Speedo display..
I agree in terms of build quality, miles ahead of the R56.feels very much like a BMW.. Enjoy
P.s
I have some nice Carbon effect light surrounds if interested?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.