Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's me that is a bit slow off the mark, not the mini. I am Jon from Derbyshire, UK. I have been lurking for the past few months prior to the missus ordering her F55 Cooper SD, and haven't got around to posting until now, does that count as stalking?
The F55 is Blazing red with Chilli/Media XL, Harmon Kardon, heated screen, Heads-up, LED H/lights, roof rails, glowing red interior; a very nice spec. The missus loves it mainly for it's pace, cheeky character and being smaller than her previous Mazda 5.
We first test drove a petrol MCS and loved the sharp steering and pops from the exhaust, but chose a diesel F55 for the economy.
Fast forward 6 months and I am looking to change my BMW 125D for something as fast but more fun, mmm...what could I buy???
A JCW is top of the shortlist and has fended off an MCS (only because of the JCW's upgraded brakes/engine), Fiesta ST, Civic Type-R and Audi-TT. I did the finance numbers on the contenders but the Civic (no discount yet) and TT (with options) are too expensive. I've only test driven the JCW, the Fiesta ST probably would be close on the driving experience but after having a BMW, I am used to the quality and the Fiesta can't compete with the mini styling, inside and out. I just need convincing that I don't need a family hatchback for commuting to work and should have a toy instead:D

Pleased to meet your acquaintance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The F56 JCW is the best yet and with some modifications and tweaks it becomes a slick hot hatch that is a premier competitor with anything in its class. It is not perfect, but is an excellent value. I appreciate it more every time that I drive it. It is a cheetah!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I don't think you can compare the Fiesta ST and a MINI's perceived build and material quality so I guess it just depends what you're after! I've never driven a Fiesta, I've only ever sat in one and the interior quality just isn't my cup of tea but each to their own. Being a F56 SD owner such as your wife/girlfriend, I can understand why she loves it.

Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That color combo is classic & it really looks sweet on the F55. Blazing red is fast becoming a favorite color of mine as well.

Enjoy,

John

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the site better late than never, looks great.
Ok for you as a JCW owner well the wife I can only say it's a fantastic car from build quality to spread of power in each gear and the sounds in sport mode the only mode you need IMHO

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got kids aged 4 and 8. I've had everything from 5 - series to a Grand Picasso dealing with the childs. Then a realisation that I drive my car by myself most of the time, and decided "a toy". So with a Nissan Leaf promoted up to be the family car I now drive an F56 Cooper. Because toy...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice looking car Love the wheels as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your kind greetings and encouragement, I'm getting better at man maths��.

As you can tell I've tried to consider the other options but I keep coming back to the JCW, it just makes sense.
I went for another test drive today in an auto, very similar to my auto 125d which is why I prefer the manual in my wife's MCS for more involvement. Dont get me wrong, the auto is ace for urban driving but less so for B roads IMO. I wanted to see how firm the standard suspension is, not sure if I need the Variable Dampers to ride similar to the BMW? Anyone driven both setups?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Go for it, you won't be sorry, the JCW is an awesome beastie, it is my favorite to drive. I have ordered some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for it and that should help with the ride and handling and the Dunlop runflats are headed to storage until I decide what to do with them. JCW pro exhaust is next and if I can figure out a methodology to install an honest dipstick that will be all of the modifications that I didn't order it with. Oh, the chrono pack is money well spent and it looks cool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K Y Dan I can see why you might want to swap the run flats for more supple rubber to give more feel and compliance. I wasn't happy that they come with the 18's, no alternative. I've decided I like a soft ride option like my BM and the wifes MCS, so I've gone for the variable dampers and save the firm ride for sport moments (most of the time).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I've pushed the button on the following spec and I can't wait...but I'll have to;

JCW manual in British Racing Green w' Black roof/mirrors
18" Cup Spoke Alloys with RF
Chilli Pack
Dinamica/Leather Carbon Black sport seats
JCW bonnet stripes
Sun Protection Glass
Glowing Red Colour line interior
Dark Silver door elipses/downtubes
Media Pack XL
Harmon Kardon hi-fi
Head-up display
Exterior Mirrors Folding/dimming
Roof Rails
Park Distance Rear
Variable Dampers

Most options I'm familiar with from the wife's MCS, apart from VD and the JCW power of course!
I almost went with the red roof but I think Rebel green suits that better. And to save you searching attached is my inspiration, do we know who owns this one, are they on the forum?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sweet color combo!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I like that combo too! I like the rebel green with the red top, but that is one really good looking mini! I am anxiously awaiting the new shoes, but there are none available locally. I can get them if now if I would pay $$$ shipping, but I can wait for that as the weather isn't great for performance tires. We are expecting some snow and cold for the next week and change if the weather forecasters are correct and that nixes both of the current mini projects. JCW pro exhaust with the blue tooth valve for more power and sound. Oh, it just keeps getting better, I do love this wonderful toy! I did have toy envy this weekend though, we drove the mini to a cars and coffee event and one of the attendees rolled in driving a shiny new red Ferrari! I bet'cha he isn't having any more fun than we are, I doubt he takes it on back road twisties!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys/gals. I wouldn't have picked the BRG from the website if I hadn't seen an MCS in BRG 'in the metal' at work, even without the red highlights it looks so much better than in pictures, when clean obviously!

Sorry about the roof rails option, I was told by SWMBO that I can't borrow her MCS with rails to carry roof bars with my bike aloft, and the bike prep option isn't available on the JCW rear bumper, ah well...actually I didn't look into rear carrier options because of the huge rear spoiler, has anyone else?

Ferarri's look, drive and sound amazing (understatement) but I bet the owner daren't leave it in the supermarket car park!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I almost went with the red roof but I think Rebel green suits that better. And to save you searching attached is my inspiration, do we know who owns this one, are they on the forum?
That's one of the first deliveries back in May '15 from John Clark Mini (Tayside) a month before mine Not on the forum........think it is the better halfs car;).
Nice spec for yours there,I was torn between Lapis and BRG but went with Lapis for a change.
I actually think that photo has been enhanced slightly because it's not quite as bright in the flesh.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the irony of the thread title seems to have come back to haunt me. I have been calling the dealer for updates on my order every couple of weeks since February and there's been little change until the end of March when he said it was in build, great I thought not long now. Then a couple of days later the sales manager calls to say there is an issue with the options on my car not showing in build so they have had to pull the car and get the options added, which sounds very strange, and I'd have thought this was a costly approach and it would be cheaper to build the car for stock?!
Anyway the reason the sales manager was calling was because he has offered their demo JCW until mine arrives mid May! It should have been mid April which they did say they could pull into March.
I am Ok with the loan car but has anyone else heard of cars being built without options? The manager even tried to suggest it was the dynamic dampers I added at the last minute that could be the reason but then said it was all options and was a technical glitch that they had caught mid build.
The other aspect I mentioned to the dealer was that if the options have been added off of the build line then I don't want a second rate build, but I hope I'll never know if this is true.
It sure does put the dampers on things though if you'll pardon the pun.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
An off the build mght not be a bad thing though. If they do this then they will pay extra atention to things that would normally be overlooked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Having seen the TV programme about how they are built at Oxford that seems strange. Everything seems to run like clockwork. I could imagine one option not being fitted due to a faulty input into the computerised system but all of them? I ordered my wife's mini of 20 february 16 and picked it up on 31 March 16, just short of 6 weeks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts