Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying a Mini Cooper, but am still not completely sure whether I should buy a Cooper, or a Cooper D.

As I am a bit ignorant regarding cars, I would like to ask a couple of questions which may help me decide a bit more easily.

First of all, does anyone have an idea as to what the actual difference in consumption between the petrol and the diesel is?
Not the one provided from BMW, but the one you really observe.

Furthermore, I would like to know if there are any differences in servicing (frequency and costs).

I know the petrol has 20PS more than the diesel, but I guess 116PS should be ok for the Cooper, so in that aspect, the diesel should be ok.

I have driven the petrol one and was very satisfied.
Haven't driven the diesel so far (plan to), so I don't know how it behaves compared to the petrol one.

I was also told that the diesel engine will last much longer than the petrol one, but to be honest, I am not sure I need to take this into account, as I think both engines will last much longer than the period which I will be the car owner.

I also believe that something like 15.000/year is more or less the km that will be driven.

Any help to make me decide is much appreciated...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying a Mini Cooper, but am still not completely sure whether I should buy a Cooper, or a Cooper D.

As I am a bit ignorant regarding cars, I would like to ask a couple of questions which may help me decide a bit more easily.

First of all, does anyone have an idea as to what the actual difference in consumption between the petrol and the diesel is?

Furthermore, I would like to know if there are any differences in servicing (frequency and costs).

I know the petrol has 20PS more than the diesel, but I guess 116PS should be ok for the Cooper, so in that aspect, the diesel should be ok.

Haven't driven the diesel so far (plan to), so I don't know how it behaves compared to the petrol one.

I was also told that the diesel engine will last much longer than the petrol one, but to be honest, I am not sure I need to take this into account, as I think both engines will last much longer than the period which I will be the car owner.

I also believe that something like 15.000/year is more or less the km that will be driven.

Do you have many service stations in your area that sell diesel? That would be a good start.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Petrol for short journeys diesel for longer apparently. Read www.Jonestown.co.uk 're the troubles with running short journeys with a diesel. Don't think service will be much different esp if you have the talc pack. Drive both. Which do you prefer.personally I hate the diesel rattle but the new mini is supposed to be very refined.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers.

Sirron, getting diesel is not a problem.
There are plenty of service stations.

Jeremy,
The idea so far is that I just do small journeys most of the time, but once a year I will do a 2x1500 km journey.
Something like 5000km in a month during a month in the summer, and ~10k during the rest of the year.

I am planning on test driving the diesel as well.

Financially, if there is no substantial difference in the servicing, the petrol one is the one that makes more sense I think.
At the moment I live in Germany, and the tax for the petrol would be something like 50 euros/year (if my calculations are correct), while the diesel one ~140.
Cost for the diesel is 1750 euros more.
Diesel is 0.3 euros cheaper, so if consumption is 2lt/100km more (hypothetical - no idea how much that is in reality), this means that for the 15000km i would probably need almost 20 years in order to get the extra money's worth.

For the moment the basic pro for the diesel is basically autonomy (in the best case it might even do 1000km before you have to fill the tank again).

I am still looking for other potential advantages of the diesel that might justify choosing it, but until now I haven't found many, to be honest...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the above calculations were completely wrong.
The difference is actually almost 500€/year.
So, financially it seems to make sense.
So if servicing, etc are pretty much the same, it might make sense...

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Def petrol if your usual journeys are short otherwise the dpf (diesel particulate filter) never has time to regenerate (if the mini has one?) And you end up with big bills. Not a worry if you're not keepng the car though. Sorry look it up on www.honestjohn.co.uk. the pc self corrected above and messed it up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, most trips will be 8-10 km long.
Twice a year (4 times tops) I will drive 1500 km.
As far as I know, the mini does have a particulate filter.
Also, thanks for the link.
It had some useful info with regards to mpg.
Didn't have time to go through the reviews and the forum, but I plan to..,

·
Registered
86 Posts
I drive 30,000 miles plus a year mainly business mileage so for me diesel is a no brainer. 3500 miles on my car in 5 weeks! So far it has average 58.4 mpg according to my phone app (I always fill brim full). It will get better peaking I reckon when it has about 20,000 miles on it - a known thing with diesel engines.
I was advised from a motor dealer a couple of years ago that to make a diesel worthwhile you need to drive over 18,000 miles a year.
With a modern diesel it needs to be doing lots of miles running hot or you will get major engine problems due to issues with things like the egr valves and DPF filters.
I know 3 people who have had bills into the thousands because they bought diesel and drive short distances .
Save the cost of the diesel cooper and enjoy a petrol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drive 30,000 miles plus a year mainly business mileage so for me diesel is a no brainer. 3500 miles on my car in 5 weeks! So far it has average 58.4 mpg according to my phone app (I always fill brim full). It will get better peaking I reckon when it has about 20,000 miles on it - a known thing with diesel engines.
I was advised from a motor dealer a couple of years ago that to make a diesel worthwhile you need to drive over 18,000 miles a year.
With a modern diesel it needs to be doing lots of miles running hot or you will get major engine problems due to issues with things like the egr valves and DPF filters.
I know 3 people who have had bills into the thousands because they bought diesel and drive short distances .
Save the cost of the diesel cooper and enjoy a petrol.
Thanks.
I didn't know this about the diesel engines.
I guess petrol is the option that makes sense...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep my other half has had her 3 year old clubman deisel since new and has just had power issues that led to the air mass damper, various filters and a forced exhaust regeneration, all down to short journies in trafficand no decent long runs. Shecwas forced to buy deisel as it was a company car originally

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aside from the fuel choice; it depends how you like to drive? I drove both cars. For me the petrol can be a little more exciting BUT; only when you rev it hard and make it really go. For day to day driving, and for people who don't normally rev the engine beyond 4500, then the D is probably a better choice. Interestingly, the D comes across as the faster car at 'normal driving speeds' because the engine has more torque. It's also a more refined unit than the petrol for general use. I was biased towards the petrol 'before' the test drive, but afterwards, and to my surprise I found the D simply ticks more boxes. (My wife also agreed with these findings.) I hope this is some help for you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aside from the fuel choice; it depends how you like to drive? I drove both cars. For me the petrol can be a little more exciting BUT; only when you rev it hard and make it really go. For day to day driving, and for people who don't normally rev the engine beyond 4500, then the D is probably a better choice. Interestingly, the D comes across as the faster car at 'normal driving speeds' because the engine has more torque. It's also a more refined unit than the petrol for general use. I was biased towards the petrol 'before' the test drive, but afterwards, and to my surprise I found the D simply ticks more boxes. (My wife also agreed with these findings.) I hope this is some help for you.
Just make sure you give it a couple of good long runs every week where it gets nice and hot and you will avoid problems. Pottering around town and short journeys are the real killers. I spoke to someone recently whose parents bought a Toyota RAV 4 diesel and drove a couple of miles to work every day. The car had an engine rebuild at 2,500 miles due to never getting hot!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest, I rarely drive above 4500 rpm the last few years, mostly of course for fuel economy.
From all the above, sounds like the D would have the best behavior for my needs, however I am not sure I will be doing 30 km drives twice every week.
I could always just drive so that the motor doesn't present any issues, but that would not contribute that much to fuel economy, which is one of the positive the diesel has.
And I am not even sure that I eou have the time for that.
This definitely needs some thought...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello everyone,

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/mini.html

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Tis the internet-they've now sold 3million minis-and the internet only attracts those with complaints. Most cars are like this I am afraid!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tis the internet-they've now sold 3million minis-and the internet only attracts those with complaints. Most cars are like this I am afraid!
Of course...
And people that are satisfied, have the tendency not to shout it out in forums that often.
Reading the problems others had is useful though, as it gives you an indication of what you should be more cautious about.

As for if the car will actually have problems, I think it's just a matter of luck.

I've decided that I am buying the Mini in any case.
Still have to decide if I'll stick to petrol (most likely), or get a diesel after all...

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
We had as second card a Cooper R56 for 3 years and changed by a new Class A (W176) diesel due to the children was growing and the Mini had no enough space, one month ago we sold the Mercedes, 20 months afterpurchase, - enoght space but boring diesel motor- , and just ordered a new F55 MC petrol, Mini have something "magic" that invites you to drive and drive...
Depending the prices of fuel in your country and Km/year you should decide diesel or petrol, in our situation below 15.000 Km by year is no interesting diesel, but with Mini you sure will have a smile in the face everytime you drive it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.