Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted for a while but have been really enjoying our Mini Electric locally over the last month and my wife and I also took a holiday further afield as well.

That holiday trip was about 140km / 87 miles each way over a range of hills - Hamilton to Pauanui over the Kopu-Hikuai road for anyone who knows the Coromandel in New Zealand. Both there and return I drove in Green, but not Green Plus. On the way there I drove carefully and arrived with 30% charge remaining. On the way back I put my foot down a bit and got back with 20% remaining. It was really enjoyable driving both ways.

See attached photos, it was windy at the beach with a big surf so we parked a long way away rather than have our lovely new Mini sand-blasted. There was no charging station at our destination (common in NZ at the moment) so I charged on a regular powerpoint at our accommodation. It took 20 hours to fully recharge on the slowest rate but actually it is no big deal to fully recharge on a regular powerpoint if you can arrive mid-afternoon and not in any hurry to leave next morning.

I found that coming down from the summit of the road over the hills (13km of road) the GoM added 10km, so 23km ‘free’ in total. Going up the hill must have been using more too I guess but not sure how to calculate that.

We are now looking out for hotels, motels, holiday homes with regular powerpoints close to parking spaces, and in the New Zealand context there are a lot of places that do have this. It has made me think though that if MINI doesn't want people using extension cords/cables/leads (fair enough) then why not offer a trickle charging cable with a bit more length, say 10 metres or 15 metres instead of 5 metres? The added length could be useful in so many situations, especially once there are many more EVs on the road and chargers become harder to access.

Lastly, warm wishes to all of you in the northern hemisphere enjoying summer, I hope it is really relaxing and as COVID-free as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
275 Posts
New Zealand has always been on my bucket list of places to visit but never quite managed it yet. Good to hear that that you’re enjoying the car and nice photos.

I looked at a longer lead when I was waiting for mine to be delivered. They’re available on some web outlets. The problem is that the cable diameter increases as the length increases to cope with the current. Although this may not be a big increase once you consider that it’s a double insulated cable and the additional length it starts to become quite a bulky item to store and I realised less practical to carry around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts