Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my F56 Cooper S for a month now and had a really incredible sales experience, easily the best I have had from any dealer/brand.

This past month my grumble has been with the after sales, which in my experience has always felt severely lacking from other dealers in the past. I have had quite a few niggles with creaks and rattles over the past month and the car has been in and out of the dealer for about 1 out of those 4 weeks. I fully understand that creaks and rattles can take time to locate and resolve, but it still puts a bit of a downer on the experience.

In addition to the car niggles I had a pretty negative impression of how the staff at my dealer treat customer's property. The first time the car was in I got it back with a big greasy mark on the paint of the drivers door where the mechanic had obviously closed the door with his big greasy paw. It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't had the paint corrected and protected a day or two before taking it in. The second time I collected my car and the handbrake was on so tight the lever was almost vertical, which seriously annoyed me. The third time I got the car back I noticed my metal valve caps had been swapped out with black plastic ones, and today I noticed that they had covered my car in swirl marks by washing it when they had it for three days.

On one hand I am being told they want me to be 100% satisfied, and to call, e-mail or visit whenever there's a problem. When I do send e-mails explaining my dissatisfaction and to question certain things, I seem to only be receiving one sentence responses, of which don't really touch on the problem. I am trying my best not to get angry with the dealer but my patience is being seriously tested.

I feel a little better after venting on here lol thanks.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Oh dear, that's rotten. I find a lots of garages seem to be the same once they've got you to part with your cash. Finger's crossed I don't have to deal with the dealer except for the routine services.

Until my previous car which was bought from a Peugeot dealership, I had bought my previous four Peugeots from a 'one man show' who I couldn't say a bad word against. He was salesman/mechanic rolled into one. Heck even if I couldn't get a bulb out, I'd nip to the garage unannounced, he'd change it and not even charge for a bulb. I wish dealerships were the same. Sadly though I think they feel that's there's plenty fish in the sea and one disgruntled owner doesn't matter. I think that even applies to MINI with the F56 debacle earlier in the year. They know MINI owners tend to be loyal to the brand and they treat us like dispensable commodities.

Keep on 'keeping on' a the dealer. I hate doing that to but it has to be done. Or vote with your feet and go elsewhere. Surely there must be good independants round about you?

·
Registered
890 Posts
As you may remember, Mr S, we share the same dealership.
Like you I have no complaints about the sales staff, although of course that could be superficial bonhommie as is to be expected from salespeople, but they seem genuine enough.

The "service" department I am not so sure of however.

I had to get the rear hatch handle changed on my Cooper as a non chrome one had been fitted at the factory.
I was given a Cooper S to play with and a few hours later collected the car.

The work was done OK but the central display was now showing the perfomance parameter screen ie POWER and TORQUE graphs, which suggests to me Mr Technician(!) took the car for a test drive and rung the **** out it to see how much power and torque the engine produced.
I like cars to be given back to me with radios etc tuned in the way I left them and certainly not with evidence of dubious goings on.
Anyway I said I was not happy to the service adviser who said she would look into it and get back to me, but of course there was no follow up.
I also told Charmaine about a slight gear lever buzz I get in third while accelerating heavily and she passed the message to the service department, but again no contact from them.
Apparently they have had two service advisers leave since I bought the car in June, so it is not a happy ship, it would appear.

The dealership is of course under the umbrella of a certain Ar#### Cl####, and I have had hopeless after sales service from a Fiat dealership owned by his franchise in previous years.

Things like rattles and sqeaks, unless it is from suspension components, I tend to investigate myself because ham fisted technicians can make them worse and it is a logistical nightmare dropping the car off, picking it up again and finding it is in a worse state after you pick it up than when you left it.

It is very frustrating to have dodgy dealers, but we are a bit limited for choice!

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
That's dreadful and sad to hear; we are in the lucky position of having Sopers Lincoln and sytner Nottingham near us-and both are fabulous-one service item with wife's roadster at Soper dealt with , well and with total courtesy-how many service technicians come out intro themselves and shake your hand. I bought mine from Sytner Nottingham and they have been truly amazing-nothing too much trouble-a lift or a courtesy car foc, and the car comes out cleaner inside and out than I could do! I cannot speak highly enough of them on the service desk and have been impressed that any work has been done properly and I am VERY fussy (ie to the point of marking service items that should be replaced , keeping used parts etc).
I sadly had one free mot at Halfords-comparing this with Sytner I would gladly pay ANY time !!!!!
good after service keeps customers-hope you have fed back to mini on the paper survey and lets hope they sort em out!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Remember that warranty work can be carried out by any dealership and that they get paid by MINI for this work.

So, tell the dealer that they cr*p and take the work elsewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
agree

does seem pointless filling in these surveys - got my car back having had a new chrome trim and rubber replaced on the drivers door and found loads of faint scratches below it - when I complain I get no where and end up feeling as though I'm the one at fault :(

Think this will have to be my last MINI as I can't be doing with the aftersales

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have the car already booked in for Monday. This is their last chance to get it right, and while I am there I might pay the Dealer Principal a visit.

kenl you are exactly right, MINI pays for all warranty work and the dealer benefits. However it was convenient to drive 6 miles to get issues seen to, but I will either drive into the Luxury Car Village in Newbridge or to Perth in future. I highly doubt another dealer would be any different, or if they are, so far my track record has me finding all the bad ones one after the other.

MD1 I wouldn't miss out on owning MINIs based on one dealer. If you genuinely enjoy the car then you are only hurting yourself. Do as kenl suggested and use other dealers, or if need be contact MINI directly and see how they conduct themselves. It might make no difference, but it just might. If I get no satisfaction I might do just that, give them a call for a chat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had my F56 Cooper S for a month now and had a really incredible sales experience, easily the best I have had from any dealer/brand.

This past month my grumble has been with the after sales, which in my experience has always felt severely lacking from other dealers in the past. I have had quite a few niggles with creaks and rattles over the past month and the car has been in and out of the dealer for about 1 out of those 4 weeks. I fully understand that creaks and rattles can take time to locate and resolve, but it still puts a bit of a downer on the experience.

In addition to the car niggles I had a pretty negative impression of how the staff at my dealer treat customer's property. The first time the car was in I got it back with a big greasy mark on the paint of the drivers door where the mechanic had obviously closed the door with his big greasy paw. It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't had the paint corrected and protected a day or two before taking it in. The second time I collected my car and the handbrake was on so tight the lever was almost vertical, which seriously annoyed me. The third time I got the car back I noticed my metal valve caps had been swapped out with black plastic ones, and today I noticed that they had covered my car in swirl marks by washing it when they had it for three days.

On one hand I am being told they want me to be 100% satisfied, and to call, e-mail or visit whenever there's a problem. When I do send e-mails explaining my dissatisfaction and to question certain things, I seem to only be receiving one sentence responses, of which don't really touch on the problem. I am trying my best not to get angry with the dealer but my patience is being seriously tested.

I feel a little better after venting on here lol thanks.
Unfortunately here in the States, Mini Dealers are few and far between.

As a result (at least my experience here in Detroit during the past 10 years with Motor City Mini) is both new sales and service is seriously lacking. Little competition (other dealers are 200 miles away) results in plenty of promises and talk with indifferences of those who are responsible to keeping the customer happy.

That's the way it is . . . Go in with low expectations and come out with low results!

Ultimately Mini owns the final result . . . Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The only "good" service I have had regarding cars has been from an independant who MOTs my old MG.
My experience with our local Toyota dealership service department was also lacking.

It is a bit of a lottery, but the Fairbairn Mini setup has only just been opened in Kirkcaldy having been tacked on to an existing BMW dealership.
Maybe the BMW technicians look upon the Mini as a poor relation and treat them and their owners accordingly.

Scotsman, you say your valve caps were changed from personal metal ones to the default plastic ones.
That is surely theft and should be dealt with at the highest level in the franchise so a meeting with the dealer principal sounds like a good idea.

It could be one rogue "Mini" mechanic who is letting the side down and he needs to be sorted out.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This will be my first and last experience of the BMW MINI three repairs in less than 500 miles.
Overrated, overpriced, unreliable and poor service from the dealers, mine will be for sale as soon as they manage to complete the latest repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts