Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cooper 1.5 has less than 1000 miles. I was recently away and did not drive the car for a week. When the car was started a good 10 seconds worth of blue grey smoke was blown from the exhaust. I have since noticed that the car does this to a lesser extent if left standing over the weekend. The car is booked into the dealer for investigation and Mini has been informed. Have there been many cases of this or have I just been unlucky?:(

·
Registered
890 Posts
If I remember correctly I have read of one similar case on here, but it may have been a Mini One and not a Cooper.

There was a cylinder head problem in that case I think, possibly valve guides/seals or similar, but it seems to have been dealt with OK. A new head may have been required.

Certainly not a common issue with any of the Mini engines as far as I am aware.
I would say it is a manufacturing fault which can happen from time to time and will obviously be rectified, just a nuisance in the meantime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer diagnosis is that the car needs new plugs, oxygen sensors and a mysterious pipe. The pipe is on back order and has to come from Germany. Up to 10 days wait for this all to be fixed. Hopefully this is the true cause of the issue and that will be the end of the smoking. Oxygen sensor and plugs at less than 1000 miles suggests big over fuelling to me. What could the pipe be?

·
Registered
890 Posts
At least it sounds like it is a peripheral rather than fundamental engine problem which should all be OK once the parts arrive, hopefully.

Is the catalytic converter OK?
If both O2 sensors are u/s, that could be due to heavy over fuelling as you say, which wouldn't please the cat. either.
I would expect black smoke from the exhaust though, not blue/grey.

The mysterious pipe must be the culprit, or so they think. Wonder what it does?

If you can find out what it is, I would be interested to know too.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'd be interested as well, can you ask them for a photo of the pipe please?

This does all sound very odd, can't say I've noticed anything on mine but will be looking in future as mine sits for a few days without starting...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.