Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got both these features on their car and able to confirm if it features stop and go like the BMWs. ie it will bring the car to a halt / very low speeds in traffic. I know the BMWs use radar rather than camera but it's not clear from what I've read whether the Mini has this feature. Ta.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
MINIs adaptive cruise control only works about 27mph, I think, and while it is capable of braking, it will not bring you to a complete stop. When you slow down enough (below 27mph) it will pop up a warning that cruise control is disabled and for you to take control.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have ACC with my auto, and, yes, it works as Siriuszero explained. You need to be travelling about 27kph in order to engage the system, but once the ACC is on it will actually continue braking for you below that - down to around 22/23 - before it disengages and you get the warning. I prefer to tap on the brake when I get down to 25-ish, then press the RES button to return to ACC at previous setting when the traffic speeds up again. This avoids getting the audible, on-screen warning (which can be kind of annoying when you don't need it).

·
Registered
190 Posts
P.S. I'm sure you've also read that the ACC will also disengage when external lighting conditions don't allow the camera to monitor traffic safely - e.g. if you are driving directly into very bright sunshine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
so it doesnt 'creep' in traffic then? i thought i heard somewhere that it had the ability to creep along maintaining a gap in a traffic queue?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
so it doesnt 'creep' in traffic then? i thought i heard somewhere that it had the ability to creep along maintaining a gap in a traffic queue?
Nope, will not work at all under ~30 mph

·
Registered
280 Posts
Creep - not.

My wife's 2015 Subaru Forester does just that, but my new MiniS doesn't creep.:D

How insulting to think a Mini 'creeps'!

·
Registered
234 Posts
What an awesome feature that would be, hopefully it'll be available in a few years time if and when I get a phone call offering me a new MINI for my old one.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm hoping in the near future Mini will be offering a kind of adaptive cruise control that will take the car in full stop when obstacle had been detected.

New Subaru models now have this kind of adaptive cruise control. There's a video from this article showing this new technology.

http://www.businessinsider.com/subaru-eyesight-helps-prevent-car-crashes-2015-3?op=1.
BMWs have this technology as well. However, the MINIs system is not as sophisticated using only one camera instead of the camera+radar system BMW uses or the two camera system Subaru's Eyesight uses.

I think for MINI it came down to cost. One camera is cheaper than the radar system, but it also comes with a lot of limitations. We've already seen those limitations from other members who have it - it won't work in direct sunlight, it gets confused sometimes with oncoming traffic.

The other part is liability. By assisting the driver to slow down and/or stop, but not taking full control, the driver is ultimately the only one responsible for what happens. I can only imagine would happen if the stop and go cruise control somehow failed or was somehow bound by technical limitations and the driver, putting too much trust into the system, didn't think to intervene and rammed into a car in front of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts