Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone know if it is possible to turn on "normal" cruise control.
I love the adaptive cruise, but the distance it keeps is sometimes too much.
As in a bit more crowded morning traffic all cars jump in front of me.
Then my Mini brakes as it finds the new car in front too close.

With normal cruise I can keep driving and let the car in front of me gain distance, while I maintain my speed. Or I press lower cruise speed and have the Mini brake gently on the engine.

So is adaptive alway on while on cruise control?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I love the adaptive cruise, but the distance it keeps is sometimes too much.
As in a bit more crowded morning traffic all cars jump in front of me.
Then my Mini brakes as it finds the new car in front too close.

With normal cruise I can keep driving and let the car in front of me gain distance, while I maintain my speed. Or I press lower cruise speed and have the Mini brake gently on the engine.

So is adaptive alway on while on cruise control?
Wow, interesting question. How many seconds behind the car in front does it place you?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Interesting. I would never consider using cruise control in busy traffic.

Given that I hardly used it in my last 2 cars (or in the Golf I had) I did not bother getting it this time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The manual says that you hold down either "distance up" or "distance down" buttons and it will switch to normal cruise control (i.e. maintain speed only). If you press either button again it will switch back to adaptve cruise control (maintain distance and speed).

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can change the gap maintained by the adaptive cruise control by tapping the 2 buttons to the right of the buttons to activate and change the speed. I think there's either 4 or 5 different gaps.
If you press and hold the same buttons it will disable the active part of the cruise control and a message will appear in the electronic display at the bottom of the speedo confirming this what has happened.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@knel I am used to drive in Cruise mode, almost all the time.
As cars go in front I keep foot on top of brake, in case there is enough distance and let the car in front "take off" . If distance is to short I decelerate by "-" the cruise.
The adaptive is hitting the breaks :)
@MintMark the issue is that the distance kept is OK, but a lot of people go in front of me and then the system hits the break again. So I would love to see the adaptive and normal cruise decoupled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had the problems of the Active Cruise control simply cutting out, and also the problem of cutting off power dramatically slowing the vehicle with no traffic in front (without any apparent reason)?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Has anyone had the problems of the Active Cruise control simply cutting out, and also the problem of cutting off power dramatically slowing the vehicle with no traffic in front (without any apparent reason)?
There are various things that can confuse the ACC

Low sunlight, shines into the windscreen camera and it cannot differentiate objects
Rain too heavy, spray from other vehicles or fog, same issue as low sun
Bend in the road so car in line with traffic on the other side or parked cars - system can see this as you approaching another vehicle and slams on the brakes.
Some shapes of bridge support and other roadside objects, same issue as bend in the road.

The system is driven by a camera in the windscreen and a computer running an object recognition program. So anything that can confuse the camera or the software causes a problem. Can be annoying and scary the first time you are on a clear road and the car decides to slam on the brakes or beep at you for no reason, but as long as your hands are on the wheel and feet near the pedals you can override it very quickly.

The option to switch to non active cruise (just hold one of the ACC distance buttons) is handy for low sun and heavy rain situations, but i guess having manual control in poor visibility is probably safer anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts