Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not informed on how these options will alter the car's driving dynamics. I think one of the first drive reviews concluded the adaptive damping was not impressive, but now I cannot find that quote.

What are your thoughts on these two options? In the U.S. configurator, each is priced at $500 USD.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This snippet from MotoringFile's review addresses my question, but I would still like more opinions.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/01/31/motoringfile-review-the-2014-mini-cooper-cooper-s/

The suspension is not simply redesigned. Each level of that tuning has been rethought. MINI engineers explained it to me like this: Consider the base Cooper S suspension at the “0’ point — the neutral — between performance and comfort. When equipped with variable dampers, the suspension has a range of -10 in Normal / Green modes, and +10 in Sport mode. Then there’s the optional stand-alone Sport Suspension, which is at a +30 to the performance side of the scale. Reportedly, the updated Sports Suspension is more aggressive than today — equivalent to the R56 JCW factory sports suspension setting (not the dealer installed kit). We only drove MINI’s with the variable dampers, but given my personal experience, I’d likely opt for the sport suspension if I was buying a performance-oriented MINI. However if I was buying more of a daily driver or commuter MINI, the variable dampers would be hard to pass up. That said, I would have liked greater differentiation between the two settings. The difference was noticeable but not as dramatic as I had hoped.

·
Registered
170 Posts
One is a damper with adjustable settings for compression and rebound. You go from soft and comfortable to stiff and sporty. Its adjustable to your needs.

Then there is the sports suspension which is sporty all the time. Not as comfortable as either the adjustable or the stock//standard

·
Registered
277 Posts
My thoughts, go for what you want.
Some guys want it to be a true sporty vehicle so the sporty suspension is the way to go. If you want a bit of everything, adaptive is what you want

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't received my Mini yet and I have been wondering about the Dynamic Dampers. Are they built into the suspension adjustments so they always give you -10 for normal/green and +10 for sport setting more than the non dynamic suspension or is it something you can switch on and off? Or even make adjustments yourself?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
In Green and Normal mode, you will always be at -10. Impossible to have +10 in these modes.

When you switch to Sport mode, the suspension gets at +10 by default.

By using the menu options, you can decide to configure the Sport mode to not go to +10 anymore. I don't remember the name of the option but it disables the +10 and the steering wheel stiffness (and maybe other things too ?!) You can't control exactly what you want.

What I usually do is that I drive most of the time in Sport mode except when the road is bumpy where I quickly switch in Normal mode.

I haven't received my Mini yet and I have been wondering about the Dynamic Dampers. Are they built into the suspension adjustments so they always give you -10 for normal/green and +10 for sport setting more than the non dynamic suspension or is it something you can switch on and off? Or even make adjustments yourself?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Patch. I guess this means I can't go with my plan to use the dynamic dampers to jack up the suspension a foot or so and run the Mini in the local mud bog races.
BTW - are you missing your S4? I just sold my A4 and am without any car until Mini comes in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I liked the adaptive damping. The roads aren't particularly great in parts of the UK, so it's good to soften up the ride when required.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I can confirm it helps on rough road with 17 inches! (Quebec region is well known for its very bad roads ...)

Regarding the S4, I really miss its power and overall balance. The bi-turbo were awesome and it pushed you deep in the seats when you'd floor it. I also miss its braking capacity. It's the only car I've own where the brakes were correctly designed to handle the car's performance. All other cars, including the F56, don't have enough braking power for my taste.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The dynamic dampers are by far the best option I chose on my f56. comfortable on the road and fantastic on a recent track day at Snetterton

Very happy to hear you like the DDs. I was hoping they would be that good because I was thinking they would be significant if a person really values handling. I considered many other performance small cars and the way the Mini handles is the top reason I bought it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I find the VDC sport setting quite stiff with 17"s on UK roads. It's nice for quick blasts and then I return to mid or green modes. In sport mode it handles well - it doesn't have the visceral feel of an R53 (but then what modern cars do) but in my view it has more lateral front end grip than the R56.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you guys think the 18" wheels will make the ride too rough even if I add the Dynamic Damper Control option? Is it that big of a difference from the 17"?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am dreading that the 18" would be a chore driving in town. I wish there's an option NOT to take the run flat.
I've opted for DD for comfort and also the technology is just **** cool!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i always read the dd system to be +10 for sport, 0 for mid & -10 for green
well thats the way its set in my car when configuring the 3 different modes.

there is an option for maximum go-cart feel, mid way and comfort as part of each driving mode. there is no option for steering or accelerator changes, i assume that is all taken care of by the mode switch as and when you flick between them.

i think dd makes a valid difference between modes and im glad i opted to have it :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you guys think the 18" wheels will make the ride too rough even if I add the Dynamic Damper Control option? Is it that big of a difference from the 17"?
Ordered mine with DDC because wanted to fit the 17" wheels and not having my other half complaining about the car stiffness when she drives it and also because we have some very bad roads and traditional city centers with bumpy roads here in Portugal.

Have drived one F56 Cooper D with 18" and run flat tyres and with was a pretty nice ride. Didn't opted for the 18" because I am not the only one that is going to drive it and had some pity of the sidewalks >:D

RAFCosta

·
Registered
360 Posts
i always read the dd system to be +10 for sport, 0 for mid & -10 for green
well thats the way its set in my car when configuring the 3 different modes.

there is an option for maximum go-cart feel, mid way and comfort as part of each driving mode. there is no option for steering or accelerator changes, i assume that is all taken care of by the mode switch as and when you flick between them.

i think dd makes a valid difference between modes and im glad i opted to have it :)

I understood that green and mid modes were both set at -10 and the sport mode set at +20? :)

1 - 20 of 171 Posts