Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today was a busy one. Added a couple more things.

These...

The blue one...

Couple of these grey ones...

Bad picture of the adjustable rear control arms.

This shows the new rear brakes, spring, swaybar, stainless lines, and end links.

Front brakes were installed with NM stainless brake lines. I was worried for a moment that the wheels wouldn't fit over these rotors. Things are huge!

Brakes with wheels installed...

Topped it all off with a strut brace by NM.

Only downside of this work is I lost all the coding I had done at the Dragon. Software has to be updated for the JCW brakes and once the program starts to run it updates everything. Small price to pay for these brakes though.

The springs closed the wheel well gap nicely too.

Before...

After...

All this work was done by my friend Chris at G3 Automotive. Can't recommend him highly enough for anyone in the Raleigh, NC area.
This is one of his toys. If you were at the Dragon you probably saw him on Vendors Alley.

·
Registered
641 Posts
All things I like a lot!
I'm very interested to the sway bar.
Brakes are incredibly expansive (because they need bigger rims) but wonderful!
...I'm a bit surprised by disks, I had Brembo Sport on my old car and holes were real holes...not "printed" as these.
And for the dumpers? I have used shortened H&R springs but they killed my original dumpers

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Looks great and I really like your wheels. I visited with Chris for a while at the MOTD and it was a nice visit, he is a stand up guy that does great work. I had him install my JCW PRO exhaust. We did a lot of great runs before, during, and after the event. Including 6 hard and fast runs on the the Tail of the Dragon with our buddies, also a lot of other great area roads, Moonshiner 28, Hellbender, and even a trip to Helen, Georgia for lunch. I had forgotten how good the run up the 3 lane hill was! A great trip and we have already booked a room for next year! Sorry we missed you.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
All things I like a lot!
I'm very interested to the sway bar.
Brakes are incredibly expansive (because they need bigger rims) but wonderful!
...I'm a bit surprised by disks, I had Brembo Sport on my old car and holes were real holes...not "printed" as these.
And for the dumpers? I have used shortened H&R springs but they killed my original dumpers
Sway bar is 22mm solid by NM Engineering. I used their billet mounts with the grease fittings.

http://www.nm-eng.com/338/0/0/3119/nm258846-nm-eng-rear-sway-bar-22mm.html

The brake kit is a little expensive, but worth it IMO. My friend ordered it for me for $1320.
The "holes" are actually dimples. Less chance of cracking than with actual holes, but with the same positive effects.
As for the shocks/struts? There are a lot of people running these springs with no problems. I had the Sport suspension to start with, so I decided to go the spring route vs coil overs. Very happy with the ride and handling so far. I'm going for an alignment in a couple of hours.

http://www.nm-eng.com/338/0/0/3107/nm558846-nm-eng-rs-alpha-spring-kit.html#popUp[products]/0/

That is awesome, lots of work done and it will transform the cars handling and driving style.

Does your mate Chris do house calls to Australia?????
Just talked with Chris. He said he'd be happy to make a house call as long as the travel is on your dime. :D

Looks great and I really like your wheels. I visited with Chris for a while at the MOTD and it was a nice visit, he is a stand up guy that does great work. I had him install my JCW PRO exhaust. We did a lot of great runs before, during, and after the event. Including 6 hard and fast runs on the the Tail of the Dragon with our buddies, also a lot of other great area roads, Moonshiner 28, Hellbender, and even a trip to Helen, Georgia for lunch. I had forgotten how good the run up the 3 lane hill was! A great trip and we have already booked a room for next year! Sorry we missed you.
Wish we could have crossed paths Dan. As it was, I was only there Friday. Due to a death in the family I had to head home early Saturday.
I'll be there next year for a few days, and my Grandson informed me that he is gonna be my copilot for this trip. :D

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another minor mod done today. Installed the AC Schnitzer splitter. I like the way it looks. Since my last post I've replaced the headlight and tail light trim with gloss black units. Next week adding black door handles, gas cap cover, and belt line. One other major cosmetic change to do, hopefully next week and I'll be done for a while. Oh yeah.... Except for the grill surround. Need to source a black one eventually.

Anyway, here's a couple of crappy pictures of he splitter.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back from the body shop. They're almost finished. He's painting the hood scoop black and installing the stripes later today. Everything is blacked out now except for the Mini emblems. Installed the JCW spoiler extensions today too. With them painted to match the roof they are very subtle, but add a nice finishing touch to the spoiler. Should be ready for pick up tomorrow. Until I get it cleaned up and some better pictures, I'll post the few quick pics I took at the shop. I'm really liking the way it's coming along. :)

EDIT: Looking at the pictures of the engine compartment It hit me that it would look much better with the intake ducts painted gloss black. Especially after I re-install my AWE carbon fiber intake. Might not be able to pick it up tomorrow after all. :(

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Added the blacked out grill surround and the custom stripes. My body shop managed to remove the grill trim without breaking any tabs or clips to prep for paint. Now I can return the new one I bought from my dealer for backup. Took months to decide what kind of stripe I wanted to go with. Ended up sourcing it from two places. I got the black from a member of my Mini Club (THMMC), but he didn't have the right shade of red for the accent. Luckily my body man, who does a lot of restoration and custom work, has a large selection of pin striping tape. He had a roll that is the perfect size and color for the application. Oh yeah, we decided to paint the hood scoop the same gloss black as the grill trim so it would go with the whole blackout thing. I think it looks better with the stripes now.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a little worried about it right now. When I came home this afternoon it was raining too hard to get out of the car so I figured I would wait it out. Then the hail started... first grape sized hail that went on for five minutes or so, although it seemed much longer. Then the golf ball sized stuff started hitting. It's very noisy inside a Mini when this is going on. This too stopped after a couple of hours, or maybe just minutes. The rain finally slowed long enough for me to get to the house. I have to wait until tomorrow when the car dries off so I can check for hail damage. I was lucky that I parked with the storm coming from behind or I would probably be replacing a windshield. The last hail storm we had, a couple months ago, did $1800 damage to my Suburban including a windshield.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
That's enough to bring tears to your eyes, sitting in the car hearing all the ice crashing down around you with nothing that you can do about it. Hope you get away with it without an issue.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.