Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the rear of my 2016 F56 I have a spot to put in an aux 12v socket. It is a spot intended for the Storage Package plug, but is just a cover for the cars with out the storage package. I have the socket I need but no directions for wiring. Can anyone tell me if it would be OK to wire the plug to the light, which is right next to that location, in the rear on the right hand passages side of the trunk area??? Or better, what or where I SHOULD tap into. I successfully opened everything up and found NO open / available plug / wires to tap into, just tons of wires tapped together in bundles? I know I need a Hot and a Ground, but which ones?? I do not want to splice into just anything, and make a huge mess. I am sure that SOMEONE else, much smarter than me already has accomplished this??

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Tricky you cannot just tap in to a feed due to the computerised electrics,i think it will throw up a fault.Lots on here will know better than me but my gut reaction is take a feed from the battery direct. Any one out there done this to help the op?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I did not order it with mine as I did not know at the time that it was no longer standard and was advised there is no practical way to install one after the car is built. At least that is what my dealership told me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I did not order it with mine as I did not know at the time that it was no longer standard and was advised there is no practical way to install one after the car is built. At least that is what my dealership told me.

In the old days, it would be a simple procedure eh Dan? Aren't computers wonderful! ;)

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
890 Posts
You could take a feed from the existing, front, auxiliary socket using a two way adaptor plugged into it which will give you the fused feed you need for the rear and an empty socket should you need it in the front.

The wires can easily, and safely, be led to the rear without being seen.

Not as neat as hacking into the loom, but I would give that a big miss. Who knows what might happen!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Great idea from Johnan; love this forum! Am sure this would be your best solution-take care hiding the wires re plastic trims etc! I am also sure there is a thread somewhere about taking a wire from the positive battery terminal direct-that's what vw owners did to get 'extra' things and not affect the canbus system-which was very dodgy in the mk4 golf apparently. Of course this wouldnt be switched but you'd remember to unplug your item!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old thread...
I bought a plug from eBay. It was removed from a dismantled car.
there is no place to add in my 2014 either. When the weather is conducive and time allows, I’ll be routing from the front port.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Where is this spot located anyway? I do wish the rear seats had a power outlet/USB ports since occasionally our kids ride in the back seats of our 2Dr

·
Registered
98 Posts
I didn't tap into anything on this one. I used a oem fuse holder and connected it to a KL 15 ignition on switch because I didn't want it on all the time. I believe it's normally wired to 30b which is always on but off after predetermine amount of time (15 or 30 min can't remember). Grounded it to one of the studs next to the can2 and can3 resistors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts