Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have now found and bought our Mini - a 1 year old Cooper D from a Mini dealer with all of the 'essential' kit we were looking for - heated seats, PDC, Chili, Media XL.... Lovely car, very impressed.

It doesn't have LED lights, which were on our 'quite like to have, but not essential' list. The colour of the DRLs isn't great - very yellow, and we were wondering about getting the official Mini LED Daytime Running Lights fitted. The list price of the parts is £200 plus 60 minutes to fit:

https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/a...n/lights/mini-led-daytime-running-lights.html

Has anyone added these, or have a view about them?

Any idea what fitted price we should be pushing for, knowing that margins on this stuff are pretty high?

As an alternative, I suppose we could just find a different colour temperature of bulb for the DRLs. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to have these put in as I'm also not a fan of the standard DRLs but after speaking with my mechanic/dealer, it's much more than a 60 min job and quite a hassle. There's a few posts floating around about them, but essentially if you're not phased by the price of parts & labor then I guess go for it :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chelseajm - that's useful to know, thanks. The parts price sounds surprisingly reasonable at £200 list, but from what you have said the labour cost is what decides if this makes sense. With any luck my local dealer won't have fitted a set before so may just use the official 60 minute fitting time to quote!

While I don't like the current DRLs, it isn't worth a vast amount to replace them, but I would pay perhaps £300. Otherwise I will be looking for whiter colour temperature bulbs which can fit the existing holders. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dependent on which MINI dealer you go to but they're circa £110 an hour for labour charges. If you were to use them just get a fixed price of 1hour as stated on their literature and pay no more should it turn out to be a fiddly time consuming install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
chelseajm - that's useful to know, thanks. The parts price sounds surprisingly reasonable at £200 list, but from what you have said the labour cost is what decides if this makes sense. With any luck my local dealer won't have fitted a set before so may just use the official 60 minute fitting time to quote!

While I don't like the current DRLs, it isn't worth a vast amount to replace them, but I would pay perhaps £300. Otherwise I will be looking for whiter colour temperature bulbs which can fit the existing holders. Anyone done this?

I agree, if the dealer sticks to the 60 min fitment time then I would say go for it, but a few other threads have mentioned dealers taking longer (I recall maybe 2+ hours). I know on another forum a user said it took them 4 hours to install, however this is keeping in mind they've never done it before! I agree on the yellowish look of the factory DRLs, I hate them! I know for the main headlights the Osram Night breaker Laser is great (have some on the way :)), so perhaps they do a similar smaller bulb which would work with the DRL??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.