Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Hopefully this is a quick one to answer... I did not get satellite radio in any package or add-on with my 2015 Mini (F55) in December when I purchased my car. Thus, I don't see it as an audio option in my display screen. In my research, I see that newer Minis are equipped with the satellite antenna regardless, and I can bring it to my dealer to have it activated (I know, it's pricey to do this!). Is that true? Also, once activated, will the satellite option appear on my display along with the normal radio, external devices, etc.? Or will I end up having to mount a Sirius thing to my dash?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had it added to mine and it just involved the dealership installing some software. However I do have the HK radio option and I don't know if that is required to allow it or not.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nope, HK is not required. It's just a simple module installation by the dealership. Adding Sirius is one of the easier post-purchase electrical additions you can make to one of these cars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I didn't realize you had to add it because my first mini came with it. Lucky for me they were able to add it before they started my build. I love having my favorites musicians saved to get notifications when they are on another channel. It is interesting how many channels Eric Clapton shows up on. Even Siriusly Sinatra.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It will have satellite radio preparation which means the hardware is all there, it just needs an activation code from SIRIUS. My local dealer charges ~$425 including labor, but double check with yours. The code itself is $350 so don't expect a dealer to do it for less than that, but once activated, it will be like you had it all along.

EDIT: The activation code also comes with a year of service as well!

Reactions: aLaRoche

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I just bought one of Ebay for $ 19.00 with a Goose Neck plugged it into the Cig Lighter placed the Antenna on the dash by the windshield and run the wires behind the plastic covers works like a charm.:nerd::)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone ever attempted this in North America ? I live in BC and also have a 2015 Cooper S, but my car did not come with the satellite radio option. For those that had this installed, what was the approx. cost ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just bought one of Ebay for $ 19.00 with a Goose Neck plugged it into the Cig Lighter placed the Antenna on the dash by the windshield and run the wires behind the plastic covers works like a charm.:nerd::)
And that is exactly why I wanted it built into my car this time around. I was absolutely DONE with the aftermarket solution. I was an early adopter of Sirius when it came out and after years of units suction cupped, velcroed, and wired in various places all around my vehicle (and also dealing with the whole, ok, do I try to hard wire it in or just go with the spotty FM transmitter, argument) I just wanted my car to have it... inside itself.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Has anyone ever attempted this in North America ? I live in BC and also have a 2015 Cooper S, but my car did not come with the satellite radio option. For those that had this installed, what was the approx. cost ?
Yes - it is super common and doesn't take long. Like I said, it's one of the things that they actually made easy to upgrade. I can't speak for the cost, but when I was ordering mine, the MA intimated that it would be close to the factory price in the configurationator.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Tiger, on the + side if my Mini is in the Shop I just plug Depeche Mode into the Rental Mini.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Mini Countryman that has option S693A (preparation BMW satellite radio). I have a Sirius Starmate4 with a lifetime subscription. I would like to install a Sirius vehicle kit for Sirius-ready radios to keep using my Starmate4. Does anyone know if the stock Mini Radio accepts a “DIN Cable”? I asked the dealer and they did not know and had no diagrams to refer to. Also so I do not have to attach a magnet antenna outside my vehicle, does anyone know where the factory satellite antenna connection is located near the front of the vehicle?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Favorites on Sirius

My Wife got a 2015 and wants to get notifications when her favorite artist is on Sirius like she did in her other car. How ca I do this in the new Mini Cooper? Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I already had a subscription and the hardware, so I bought a gooseneck. I put the magnet antenna right behind the roof antenna, wire all tucked into the trim, etc. Will work just fine until I feel like springing for the upgrade code. It is just a software update I think, after quizzing a dealer service guy; I had the same question about the DIN module, but he said there is no hardware installed for the upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/Hsug00E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eIuEcI2.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2015 cooper and I have been told that I will need to activate Sirius XM radio thought the dealership. I was shocked at the $500.00 fee for this service. I am hoping to find an alternative. In my opinion it isn't fair, the price is very high and the salesperson did not mention to me that the car did not have a CD player and Sirius would have to be activated. Did you find any help?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2015 cooper and I have been told that I will need to activate Sirius XM radio thought the dealership. I was shocked at the $500.00 fee for this service. I am hoping to find an alternative. In my opinion it isn't fair, the price is very high and the salesperson did not mention to me that the car did not have a CD player and Sirius would have to be activated. Did you find any help?
Sounds about right. The code from Sirius is $350 and then it has to be programmed so most dealers charge a labor cost on top of that too. $500 seems a little high - my dealer charges $425. Either way, it comes with a year of service. It's not a lot of work since all F56s have everything hardware-wise preinstalled, you are really just programming the code from Sirius and re-programming the car. Less than an hour of actual work.

Bimmertech is a 3rd party company I've seen do remote retrofits for a much cheaper rate ($275), but I don't know if they can do it for the F56. It's the same process as a BMW, so I don't see why they wouldn't, but best to check with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know of a way to activate Sirius XM on a 2015 Cooper Sport (F56)?
My dealership quoted me $500.00 to set up the code. My salesperson did not tell me the
car was equipped with Sirius but it would have to be activated at such a high charge.

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
I posted this on the NAM site. There is $250 US hardware and setup inc (done by yourself) There is a module that you plug in under the seat. Code 693 does not include the unit.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ive-retrofits/sirius-satellite-radio-retrofit

The price on the site is 275 but they will discount and ship if you ask. $350 for a code is simply silly. This is cheaper than getting it from the factory and come s with a one year service in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Using Standalone Radio Through Factory Stereo

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Mini Countryman that has option S693A (preparation BMW satellite radio). I have a Sirius Starmate4 with a lifetime subscription. I would like to install a Sirius vehicle kit for Sirius-ready radios to keep using my Starmate4. Does anyone know if the stock Mini Radio accepts a “DIN Cable”? I asked the dealer and they did not know and had no diagrams to refer to. Also so I do not have to attach a magnet antenna outside my vehicle, does anyone know where the factory satellite antenna connection is located near the front of the vehicle?

I am wondering the same thing. I have a Sportster 5 Sirius XM radio that I use in my home. My 2012 mini has the Satelite radio already and I paid for a year for that... I would think it is probably possible to (in your case add) bypass the factory Sirius/XM tuner module and use a SCV-DOC1 kit to use your existing radio. I'm going to try this on my Chevy Truck first and if it works I'll get another kit and try to do it on the Mini to save subscription costs. With the air conditioned glove box I think I'll just route the doc into the glove box and leave my Sportster 5 in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts